Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm just having some pre-uni doubts about choosing the right university, especially when when reading these forums I have lower prospects than most of you!

I've chosen Swansea Uni as my firm (and since been accepted), and I got BCD in my A levels, (B in computing, which i'm still really annoyed by as a badly taught coursework brought me down from an A), C in hist and D in pol.

Also it seems Swansea's fallen down the league tables since making my decision. When I chose Swansea it was ranked 13th for Computer Science, now it seems to be much lower, which is typical :rolleyes:

When most of you lot seem to be going to good unis like Manchester, Oxbridge, Warwick etc, with no mention of Swansea I wonder if i'll be seriously disadvantaged coming out with a degree from Swansea, when a lot of people have degrees from better universities.

So what i'm really asking is, how important is the university for Computer Science? Will I struggle to get a job because I have to compete with grads from higher respected universities, or will I be ok? Plus exactly where would you rate Swansea for CS?

Cheers, Pre-Uni nerves suck!

ReputationRep:
    University league table rankings really dont mean that much. Use them as a factor to choose but they can be very volatile. For instance if they add a new criteria in the ranking, like they did for student satisfaction a while back, it can massively shift around where certain unis are. For BCD Id say swansea is pretty reasonable, just make sure you work hard and learn a lot.

ReputationRep:
    Swasea still is excellent for compsci. And apparently people have an excellent student life there. It might be 27th in that ranking, but if you look at the research rating and prospect you can see that the scores are only dragged down by entry grades.

Btw: don't trust the guardian guide, last time I checked it was immensely incomplete.

ReputationRep:
    Do you have to have an A2 in ICT do do CS?

ReputationRep:
    It depends on what you want to do after as well as the company. There are many IT firms that will take on graduates with a non-IT degree who show an interest in the subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tagit)
    No. Many unis prefer traditional subjects like Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, etc. I think many actively discourage ICT. It's not seen as a rigorous course.

Look at this:

http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

Stick with those in categories A1 and A2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tagit)
    ICT has very little to do with CS. So no, they won't expect you to have it.

ReputationRep:
    mate I'm in my 3rd year at Swansea Uni doing Computer Science. It is an excellent Uni for the subject and it is ranked quite high. People get top jobs from our Uni and you'll not be at a disadvantage at all.

When you get here you'll understand.

ReputationRep:
    Dam you really like to advertise swansea dont you? lol

ReputationRep:
    In all honesty it's really good. And people don't think about it because it's in Wales.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 4, 2007

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.