If a wrong is civil and criminal can you bring both as the same action concurrently?

Watch
HarambeQC
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
And if so or not so, can you bring both separately in a criminal court and civil court and receive a criminal and civil outcome?

Thanks!
username2488767
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What kind of action would be both? I didn't realise that was possible
HarambeQC
Rep:
?
Like for example if you go somewhere and leave your coat with the coat person and they steal it.

So that would be a criminal offence and I think also a tort and a contract breach too.

So a criminal outcome would be him being punished for theft, and a civil outcome would be restitution in damages to the same claimant?

But I need to know if both outcomes are possible as a joint action or you have to seperate them and bring them in different courts or if you are restricted to only bringing one action as criminal or civil.
username2488767
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Why would it be a contract breach? You have no contract with the thief so there's nothing to breach. I think if something is both, it's more likely to be brought under the criminal system as it's more serious and the courts can order you to pay compensation to the victim as part of your sentence. Like for example with Gross Negligent Manslaughter. No criminal act has been committed - only a negligence under civil law - but a criminal act takes place in the form of a death arising from it so it is taken under the criminal court.
HarambeQC
Rep:
?
Ok thanks I think I understand everything a bit better now.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by HarambeQC)
Like for example if you go somewhere and leave your coat with the coat person and they steal it.

So that would be a criminal offence and I think also a tort and a contract breach too.

So a criminal outcome would be him being punished for theft, and a civil outcome would be restitution in damages to the same claimant?

But I need to know if both outcomes are possible as a joint action or you have to seperate them and bring them in different courts or if you are restricted to only bringing one action as criminal or civil.
Not in this country.

The nearest we have is that criminal courts can in certain circumstances order convicted criminals to pay compensation to the victims of crime. However the victim is not a party to the criminal case and compensation orders are usually limited to straightforward cases.

Other countries in Europe have what you are suggesting where a criminal court also deals with civil claims against the perpetrator.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (74)
29.84%
No (174)
70.16%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed