nadeeey
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Help!!
so i booked a holiday in september for next may, this a for a week during the 8th till the 15th, not thinking about it, but i then checked with the uni and the exam period is between the 1st of may till the 22nd.
My first year i didnt have exams and thats why i didn't think anything off it when i booked the holiday.
I am aware that i do have an exam but the dates dont get released till later on in the year.

I am asking what advice people have, i can more then likley change the name on my ticket for my holiday to someone else but i was just wondering what would happen if i was to miss the exam and resit it?
i know i would be capped at 40% but would they let me resit it even if i didnt turn up for the first one?

Not saying this is what i am going to do but i am looking at my options, i am aware that exams are more important then going on holiday so i am not looking for someone to lecture me on exams.

i would also like to state that i did not in anyway say i was going to go on this holiday.
i am not looking at people judging me or telling me i won't get a degree because that is purely a lie.

thanks
DanE1998
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Put your education first.

Why are you doing a degree if you are prepared to throw it away for a holiday!
nadeeey
Rep:
?
(Original post by DanE1998)
Put your education first.

Why are you doing a degree if you are prepared to throw it away for a holiday!
I never said i was throwing my degree away for a holiday! i was looking at my options, everyone is allowed a break once in a while! and i have worked my butt of to achieve where i am today.

For all i know my exam may not fall within the time period in which i go away, i just know that uni can change the dates as and when they like or see fit to do so.
DanE1998
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by nadeeey)
I never said i was throwing my degree away for a holiday! i was looking at my options, everyone is allowed a break once in a while! and i have worked my butt of to achieve where i am today.

For all i know my exam may not fall within the time period in which i go away, i just know that uni can change the dates as and when they like or see fit to do so.
But by considering that option, you are considering that path. I understand we all need a break but exam season is the wrong time.

I'd sit out and hope your exams are over before your holiday
JamesN88
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you get capped at 40% that means a 3rd in that module and you'd have to get a 1st in another two just to balance things out at a 2:1. So yeah, you are thinking of throwing your degree away for a holiday.
nadeeey
Rep:
?
(Original post by JamesN88)
If you get capped at 40% that means a 3rd in that module and you'd have to get a 1st in another two just to balance things out at a 2:1. So yeah, you are thinking of throwing your degree away for a holiday.
No not thinking of throwing my degree away because i would still get a degree out of it. I also never said that i was going to miss the exam.
Some people are rude when there is no need to be.

I was asking for advice not negativity.
JamesN88
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No not thinking of throwing my degree away because i would still get a degree out of it. I also never said that i was going to miss the exam.
Some people are rude when there is no need to be.

I was asking for advice not negativity.
Don't ask the question if you don't want an honest answer.
nadeeey
Rep:
?
Don't ask the question if you don't want an honest answer.
There's an honest answer then there is pure rudeness. You need to learn how to speak to people with respect.

Don't start jumping down people's throats about something when it was merely a thread for advice not to be given *****y comments.
DanE1998
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
There's an honest answer then there is pure rudeness. You need to learn how to speak to people with respect.

Don't start jumping down people's throats about something when it was merely a thread for advice not to be given *****y comments.
I personally think people (myself included) are being blunt for a reason. We're not being rude, we are trying to rationalise your decision and based on the information you have provided it lends itself to one answer (two if you include the close shave).

I apologise if you think I'm being rude but I think I'm just being blunt with you. Also if you avoid swearing please that would be appreciated as there is no need for it.
JamesN88
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

There's nothing *****y or disrespectful about it, if you can't handle the truth without it being sugar coated that's not anyone else's problem. The fact is you'd be reducing your overall grade for a holiday.
nadeeey
Rep:
?
I personally think people (myself included) are being blunt for a reason. We're not being rude, we are trying to rationalise your decision and based on the information you have provided it lends itself to one answer (two if you include the close shave).

I apologise if you think I'm being rude but I think I'm just being blunt with you. Also if you avoid swearing please that would be appreciated as there is no need for it.
That comment was not aimed at you in any way. I appreciate that it is an answer to the question i asked what i dont appreciate is being judged or told that i am throwing my degree away.
I am not. I will still have a degree at the end of it.
JamesN88
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

This.
nadeeey
Rep:
?
There's nothing *****y or disrespectful about it, if you can't handle the truth without it being sugar coated that's not anyone else's problem. The fact is you'd be reducing your overall grade for a holiday.

The fact is, 'i did not say i was going to actually go on the holiday' so i dont know how many time's ill have to say that until you will understand it.
Also the fact is you stated i was throwing my degree away. This again is not a 'fact' this is merely you thinking you know that.
I will still come out with a degree at the end of my course. It is just one grade that could potentially be effected not my whole degree.
drowzee
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Don't go on holiday. It's that simple. :indiff: Seriously, why are you even thinking about it? I'm not even going to my sister's 4 day hen in April, because that's the most important time to study hard for my A Levels.
DanE1998
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
That comment was not aimed at you in any way. I appreciate that it is an answer to the question i asked what i dont appreciate is being judged or told that i am throwing my degree away.
I am not. I will still have a degree at the end of it.
I'm going to take your last step to its logical conclusion if you will indulge me for a moment.

You get your degree, but you get a 2:2 rather than a 2:1.

That makes a massive difference!

Most employers look for at least a 2:1 depending upon the profession of course.

So you might have a degree, but it would mean you can't use it to its fullest extent.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
Tbf what options do you think there are?
1. Perhaps you can assign your holiday to someone in the department as a good will getsture?
2. Talk to the person organising the exams as to when the date might be.

They are unlikely to move it just for you and your holiday.
Have you checked you cant change it to another date? Pretty basic error not to think it wasnt right in the middle of the exam period.
Cant say im bothered enough what you decide to do, but it would seem pretty obvious to me.
JamesN88
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The fact is, 'i did not say i was going to actually go on the holiday' so i dont know how many time's ill have to say that until you will understand it.
Also the fact is you stated i was throwing my degree away. This again is not a 'fact' this is merely you thinking you know that.
I will still come out with a degree at the end of my course. It is just one grade that could potentially be effected not my whole degree.
I know you aren't going but you're thinking about it, we're all being blunt with you because it's a stupid idea.

And that one module could very well make all the difference between degree classifications.
seaships
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
dude if u can get what ur aiming for and go on holiday then go. But most employers are looking for 2:1 1st unless u have some awesome stuff for your cv you won't get considered.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
re-book the holiday so it cannot clash with your exams. your degree classification will last a lot longer than suntan & STI.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (196)
60.31%
No (71)
21.85%
Not sure (58)
17.85%

Watched Threads