natalie9rees
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am so keen to come and study at UoG, but one thing is holding me back from saying yes- is Glasgow a safe city?
I've had a friend tell me that there's a lot of crime/gang crime but others have said it's nightlife and vibe is amazing. I have visited the city myself and found I really loved it!
What are your thoughts on Glasgow as a safe city? Is it just like any other large city in terms of crime?
(I really don't wish to offend anyone who is living in Glas currently)
Friffinghell
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Glasgow is a safe city but like any large UK City there are parts that you don't venture into after dark!

Glasgow was famous for gang warfare in the 80's and early 90's but while this definitely still exists - it's not something that you need to worry about unless you are running with a really bad crowd!

If you go out on an average Friday night in the City Centre - you will absolutely see groups of guys absolutely trollied (drunk) looking for a fight... but if that's not your scene it's fairly easily avoided.

Nightlife in Glasgow is excellent, there is something for literally everyone. If you go to shifty places you might see trouble or at the taxi ranks to get home but there's always security in trouble hot spots.

Rule of thumb - stick together on a night out. Having your drinks spiked does happen so look out for each other and be careful. No walking through alleyways with no lights on at 3am. Just common sense really.
yshoruna18
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by natalie9rees)
I am so keen to come and study at UoG, but one thing is holding me back from saying yes- is Glasgow a safe city?
I've had a friend tell me that there's a lot of crime/gang crime but others have said it's nightlife and vibe is amazing. I have visited the city myself and found I really loved it!
What are your thoughts on Glasgow as a safe city? Is it just like any other large city in terms of crime?
Hi there,

I am in my fifth year of study at Glasgow Uni and I'm from London. I would agree with the previous reply. I would also say that most students spend the majority of their time in the West End or the city centre and both are quite good areas; with the university being located in a relatively affluent area so there's no need to worry about gang-crime etc.

As a medical student I have had to attend hospital placements in other parts of Greater Glasgow as well and I have honestly never felt in danger.

As mentioned above, it's imperative to apply common sense and street-wiseness (if that's a word!) as would be necessary in any other big city.

Yetunde Shoruna (Ask a Student e-Mentor)
DunaskinMillGlasgow
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by natalie9rees)
It's not offensive, we all know Glasgow has a reputation .

But to repeat what the other two posters have said, Glasgow's really like any other city - some areas are better than others! You'll probably spend most of your time in the west end and city centre, which are both safe areas as long as you use your common sense.

There was a survey last year that said residents of Glasgow felt safer than residents of any other UK city (http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/1...es_in_the_UK_/) - I'm not sure how true it is but hopefully it reassures you a bit!

And the nightlife here is great, there's always somewhere to go!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (35)
15.63%
I'm not sure (8)
3.57%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (81)
36.16%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.79%
I'm not a current university student (96)
42.86%

Watched Threads