The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
i agree
Reply 21
Wise One
No, nothing doesn't exist, in the same way as black and white can't be classed as colours. It only exists as an intellectual concept to term an absence of things. In itself, it has no existance. I think.

I agree.

To say "nothing" is to say there is an absence of existence. Just as black is the absence of colour and not colour in itself.

And by the same token, nothingness doesn't exist. It is not an entity. In fact it is even more absurd than saying nothing exists...the "ness" just makes it silly like there is some transcendent property of nothing which is nothingness. This does not exist any more than, say, redness or roundness exists.
Reply 22
why try to explain things that are unexplainable?

just accept that blue is blue and pink is pink, don't ask why its pink it just is pink. Accept a flower for being pretty, don't ask why is it pretty.

If you say nothing exists then its still nothing if you explain it or not it doesn't change. i say my desk is brown, if i said it was pink it doesn't change the fact it is brown.
Reply 23
Google ROCHESTER and ON NOTHING to find a wonderful poem on- nothing.
Reply 24
operato
if nothing exists then it is infinite...
does infinite exist?
for nothing to exist it would have to be something and infinite would equal nothing if nothing existed.

first line.. if nothing exists is it infinite. By defenition, nothing does not exist. Problem solved.
Reply 25
mik1a
first line.. if nothing exists is it infinite. By defenition, nothing does not exist. Problem solved.

but something exists O_o without nothing there wouldn't be that something

thegoose
You make a lot of assumptions. You say that the teapot is just sense-datum. We experience sense-datum and not the teapot directly, which is not the same as the teapot not existing. You assume an entire idealist metaphysical view which is a possibility yet forward your theory as if it is accepted scientific fact.

science is based on sensory data... science is part of the human mind as it does not exist.
Reply 26
operato
but something exists O_o without nothing there wouldn't be that something.

if something exists, then nothing doesn't exist, they are opposites... I can't say "nothing exists AND something exists", that's a contradiction. Since things clearly exist, nothing does not.

operato
science is based on sensory data... science is part of the human mind as it does not exist.

science is how things work.. its a little selfish to say without us to analyse things, the things themselves aren't there. unless you're heavily into quantum mechanics... and everything yet unmeasured does not definately have an existance here or there. But that's silly.. science exists without us. besides, we exist anyway. :cool:
mik1a

I agree completely with that, if it is infinite by definition it cannot exist; infinity is just a concept created by humans.
Depends on what you mean by nothing...

Nothing in the dictionary definition would suggest that im not sitting or typing and we are not have this discussion...
Reply 29
Silly philosophers. We don't exist, I'm not typing and you're not reading this.
Erm... no.

They just say stuff that goes totally against reason, with no proof, and with no way to prove them wrong. The last part is the annoying part.
Dajo123
The concept of nothing can exist if nothing is viewed as merely a transitional state. The only thing that is constant and will continue to exist into infinity is......change.

Quite true, all things must yield eventually.
^proof it does
Reply 33
That's not nothing. That's my computer screen.
Wise One
That's not nothing. That's my computer screen.

how would you describe the content of my first post? (exculding generic things that appear in every post i make)
Reply 35
~~~~~ < This squigly line thing is unique because it is the only line created at this time, on this site by me. Yesterday, this line didn't exist and nobody even imagined that I would create it. It was nothing. It could never be created again because time does not go backwards.
Reply 36
It wasn't nothing. It was a squiggly line just waiting to happen, a potential squiggly line, if you will.
Pencil
~~~~~ < This squigly line thing is unique because it is the only line created at this time, on this site by me. Yesterday, this line didn't exist and nobody even imagined that I would create it. It was nothing. It could never be created again because time does not go backwards.

It might, maybe we can only perceive it in forward motion.
Reply 38
mik1a
Silly philosophers. We don't exist, I'm not typing and you're not reading this.
Erm... no.

They just say stuff that goes totally against reason, with no proof, and with no way to prove them wrong. The last part is the annoying part.

I take it you don't like philosophical conjecture :tongue:
Adhsur
I take it you don't like philosophical conjecture :tongue:

So it would seem... :rolleyes: