Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've heard so many bad things about studying in London, housing, costs, living far from uni etc BUT I'm still considering UCL. HAs anybody got any info about living in LOndon, esp someone at UCL....doing economics! THanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovebourbon)
    I've heard so many bad things about studying in London, housing, costs, living far from uni etc BUT I'm still considering UCL. HAs anybody got any info about living in LOndon, esp someone at UCL....doing economics! THanks

If you are coming to UCL all the UCL halls are located very close to the university so u dont need ot worry about living far from ur uni...

Costs of living is not significantly high but yes i would say that it is marginally higher than other cities for obvious reasons...as a rule of thumb £150 a week should alow you to lead a comfortable life while studying (and that includes everything)

UCL has the reputaion of a pretigous university (third uni to open in UK after Oxbridge) it has the most experienced staff for economics and state of the srt facilities and opportunities for economists..it was rated 5* same as oxford for economics in research quality and 23/24 for teaching quality..it was no. 2 in league tables last year for economics...it has links with most of the top city employers such as morgan stanley!!

I can assure you that you will not regret coming to UCL

Please note I am NOT a UCL student.. but they are my insurance offer (Im intending to go to imperial for maths and computing) but if i was to do economics i would most certainly chose UCL...

ReputationRep:
    I currently live in central London,and am about to start at the UoL - what specifics do you want to know?

ReputationRep:
    Stuff like after your first year, which you get in uni accomodation (i think?!) how far away do you have to go, is there a student pass for the tube, whats the uni accomodation like... just curious about LOndon really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by integral_neo)
    If you are coming to UCL all the UCL halls are located very close to the university so u dont need ot worry about living far from ur uni...

Costs of living is not significantly high but yes i would say that it is marginally higher than other cities for obvious reasons...as a rule of thumb £150 a week should alow you to lead a comfortable life while studying (and that includes everything)

UCL has the reputaion of a pretigous university (third uni to open in UK after Oxbridge) it has the most experienced staff for economics and state of the srt facilities and opportunities for economists..it was rated 5* same as oxford for economics in research quality and 23/24 for teaching quality..it was no. 2 in league tables last year for economics...it has links with most of the top city employers such as morgan stanley!!

I can assure you that you will not regret coming to UCL

Please note I am NOT a UCL student.. but they are my insurance offer (Im intending to go to imperial for maths and computing) but if i was to do economics i would most certainly chose UCL...
    THanks so much, i'm just applying at the moment, probably wont even get an offer so wont have to worry about it!

ReputationRep:
    Stuff like after your first year, which you get in uni accomodation (i think?!) how far away do you have to go, is there a student pass for the tube, whats the uni accomodation like... just curious about LOndon really

There is a student travel card.

Only fools use the tube (unless you are coming from the very outskirts of the tube system). Buses are much cheaper!

Not sure about accommodation, as I have my own flat, other than to say it will probably vary between the colleges. Also, I bet you'll be gagging to move out by your second year

I love London - defo the best place I've lived to date

Well, let's just say that UCL isn't exactly the LSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Biggles)
    Well, let's just say that UCL isn't exactly the LSE.
    So you go to LSE then? i only wanted to apply to 1 london uni and i picked UCL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GraduateMedic)
    There is a student travel card.

Only fools use the tube (unless you are coming from the very outskirts of the tube system). Buses are much cheaper!

Not sure about accommodation, as I have my own flat, other than to say it will probably vary between the colleges. Also, I bet you'll be gagging to move out by your second year

I love London - defo the best place I've lived to date
    I def warming very much to London! esp coz of the exclnt job prospects

ReputationRep:
    UCL has the reputaion of a pretigous university (third uni to open in UK after Oxbridge)
    It should be noted that Edinburgh, St. Andrews, Glasgow and Aberdeen Universities were all founded before UCL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magicalsausage)
    It should be noted that Edinburgh, St. Andrews, Glasgow and Aberdeen Universities were all founded before UCL.
    http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionar...llege%20London

UCL is the thirds oldest university in England

ReputationRep:
    http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionar...llege%20London

UCL is the thirds oldest university in UK
    That link says UCL is the third oldest Uni in ENGLAND... not the UK :confused: :confused: :confused:

ReputationRep:
    THanks so much, i'm just applying at the moment, probably wont even get an offer so wont have to worry about it!
    UCL are not hard to gain a standard offer of AAA from for economics, unless they suspect you're very certain to get an oxbridge offer or you're not predicted straight As, or you don't have the right subject combinations, so don't worry.

ReputationRep:
    So you go to LSE then? i only wanted to apply to 1 london uni and i picked UCL
    For economics the LSE obviously beats UCL, but if you don't like it then there's no point in applying there. UCL's good at it too, have you looked at both of them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    UCL are not hard to gain a standard offer of AAA from for economics, unless they suspect you're very certain to get an oxbridge offer or you're not predicted straight As, or you don't have the right subject combinations, so don't worry.

im a bit confused of trying to make sense of what u said :confused:

ReputationRep:
    im a bit confused of trying to make sense of what u said :confused:
    Ah sorry, well you know admission to the LSE for L101 (straight economics) is a bit of a lottery unless you're outstanding?

For UCL, as long as you have a suitable a level combination, are predicted all As, then you'll get an AAA offer. The only exception may be if you're brilliant and they suspect you'll get offered by oxbridge/LSE almost definitely.

ReputationRep:
    Ah sorry, well you know admission to the LSE for L101 (straight economics) is a bit of a lottery unless you're outstanding?

For UCL, as long as you have a suitable a level combination, are predicted all As, then you'll get an AAA offer. The only exception may be if you're brilliant and they suspect you'll get offered by oxbridge/LSE almost definitely.
    I see...

ur going to imperial though arent u?

ReputationRep:
    I see...

ur going to imperial though arent u?
    Yeah but I originally applied to do Economics. My Imperial offer was after a change of mind and received through UCAS extra

Yeah but I originally applied to do Economics. My Imperial offer was after a change of mind and received through UCAS extra
    Imperial does UCAS extra?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Biggles)
    Imperial does UCAS extra?

Surely not im confused :confused:

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.