This discussion is closed.
GraduateMedic
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Biggles)
Imperial does UCAS extra?
Yup - I know someone off to Gimperial to do Aerospace something or other with an Extra offer...
kingslaw
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Imperial does UCAS extra?
They actually have a lot of courses on Extra. Have a look: http://search.ucas.co.uk/cgi-bin/hsr...2&button1.y=10
Biggles
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by GraduateMedic)
Yup - I know someone off to Gimperial to do Aerospace something or other with an Extra offer...
Perhaps Gimperial isn’t so distinguished as we first thought…
Dajo123
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Mysticmin)
For economics the LSE obviously beats UCL
No it bloody well does not....

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,6734,00.html
mg84
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Dajo123)
No it bloody well does not....

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,6734,00.html
I think you're taking the league tables a little too seriously! I'm going to Warwick but, despite what that link suggests, I'm not going to claim that it has a better reputation for Economics than LSE.
Dajo123
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by mg84)
I think you're taking the league tables a little too seriously! I'm going to Warwick but, despite what that link suggests, I'm not going to claim that it has a better reputation for Economics than LSE.

League tables are fickle tools used by the masses in order to massage their egos. I posted the above link because i assumed that you were one of the masses due to your unarticulated assumption that "for economics LSE obviously bests UCL". However, I view the two courses at each University as being quite similar in standing, as did the QAA during their last assessment, it would be nice to know exactly how LSE is "obviously" better for economics than UCL, when they are “obviously” quite similar.
mg84
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
League tables are fickle tools used by the masses in order to massage their egos. I posted the above link because i assumed that you were one of the masses due to your unarticulated assumption that "for economics LSE obviously bests UCL". However, I view the two courses at each University as being quite similar in standing, as did the QAA during their last assessment, it would be nice to know exactly how LSE is "obviously" better for economics than UCL, when they are “obviously” quite similar.
I don't remember saying LSE was obviously better for Economics than UCL. I was just pointing out that using only a link to a league table to back up your arguement was as inarticulate as the original comment.
Dajo123
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by mg84)
I don't remember saying LSE was obviously better for Economics than UCL. :rolleyes:
LOL, Ah, i didn’t look at your user name! I assumed you were Mysticism, as this is whom i was making my point to and is also the user who made the unarticulated assumption about LSE.

I agree with your point that league tables mean nothing. I am going to UCL for Law this year and do not feel my Uni is necessarily above any other institution based on these fickle tables, however, Times league tables are sometimes the currency you have to trade in when talking to certain people.
mg84
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
LOL, Ah, i didn’t look at your user name! I assumed you were Mysticism, as this is whom i was making my point to and is also the user who made the unarticulated assumption about LSE.

I agree with your point that league tables mean nothing. I am going to UCL for Law this year and do not feel my Uni is necessarily above any other institution based on these fickle tables, however, Times league tables are sometimes the currency you have to trade in when talking to certain people.
Don't worry, I noticed. League tables can give a good general impression of quality, as long as they're not taken too seriously. They're very good for winding people up though!
Biggles
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
I am going to UCL for Law this year
LOL
mg84
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
LOL
That took a little longer than I was expecting!
Dancer83
Report 15 years ago
To return to oldest University in England, the answer is actually Durham. See same encyclopedia
http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionar...m%20University

Regarding UCL it says

"and the third oldest HIGHER EDUCATION INSTITUTION in England" whereas Durham is "the third oldest UNIVERSITY in England"

Just to get everything perfectly right.
Biggles
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Dancer83)
To return to oldest University in England, the answer is actually Durham. See same encyclopedia
http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionar...m%20University

Regarding UCL it says

"and the third oldest HIGHER EDUCATION INSTITUTION in England" whereas Durham is "the third oldest UNIVERSITY in England"

Just to get everything perfectly right.
Actually UCL and King’s are older than Durham. King’s was founded AND got its Royal Charter before Durham was founded.
TIMAAAAAAAAAAAY
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by mg84)
I don't remember saying LSE was obviously better for Economics than UCL.
well i'll say it - LSE is better, and there's no doubt about it at all.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your firm and insurance uni choices yet?

Yes (98)
53.85%
Yes, but I want to swap them (14)
7.69%
No, but I know who I want to choose (18)
9.89%
No, I still don't know who I want to choose (45)
24.73%
I have decided I don't want to go to uni anymore and will not be choosing (7)
3.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed