Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Uni in London watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Biggles)
    Imperial does UCAS extra?
    Yup - I know someone off to Gimperial to do Aerospace something or other with an Extra offer...

ReputationRep:
    Imperial does UCAS extra?
    They actually have a lot of courses on Extra. Have a look: http://search.ucas.co.uk/cgi-bin/hsr...2&button1.y=10

(Original post by GraduateMedic)
    Yup - I know someone off to Gimperial to do Aerospace something or other with an Extra offer...
    Perhaps Gimperial isn’t so distinguished as we first thought…

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    For economics the LSE obviously beats UCL
    No it bloody well does not....

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,6734,00.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dajo123)
    No it bloody well does not....

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,6734,00.html
    I think you're taking the league tables a little too seriously! I'm going to Warwick but, despite what that link suggests, I'm not going to claim that it has a better reputation for Economics than LSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mg84)
    I think you're taking the league tables a little too seriously! I'm going to Warwick but, despite what that link suggests, I'm not going to claim that it has a better reputation for Economics than LSE.

League tables are fickle tools used by the masses in order to massage their egos. I posted the above link because i assumed that you were one of the masses due to your unarticulated assumption that "for economics LSE obviously bests UCL". However, I view the two courses at each University as being quite similar in standing, as did the QAA during their last assessment, it would be nice to know exactly how LSE is "obviously" better for economics than UCL, when they are “obviously” quite similar.

ReputationRep:
    League tables are fickle tools used by the masses in order to massage their egos. I posted the above link because i assumed that you were one of the masses due to your unarticulated assumption that "for economics LSE obviously bests UCL". However, I view the two courses at each University as being quite similar in standing, as did the QAA during their last assessment, it would be nice to know exactly how LSE is "obviously" better for economics than UCL, when they are “obviously” quite similar.
    I don't remember saying LSE was obviously better for Economics than UCL. I was just pointing out that using only a link to a league table to back up your arguement was as inarticulate as the original comment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mg84)
    I don't remember saying LSE was obviously better for Economics than UCL. :rolleyes:
    LOL, Ah, i didn’t look at your user name! I assumed you were Mysticism, as this is whom i was making my point to and is also the user who made the unarticulated assumption about LSE.

I agree with your point that league tables mean nothing. I am going to UCL for Law this year and do not feel my Uni is necessarily above any other institution based on these fickle tables, however, Times league tables are sometimes the currency you have to trade in when talking to certain people.

ReputationRep:
    LOL, Ah, i didn’t look at your user name! I assumed you were Mysticism, as this is whom i was making my point to and is also the user who made the unarticulated assumption about LSE.

I agree with your point that league tables mean nothing. I am going to UCL for Law this year and do not feel my Uni is necessarily above any other institution based on these fickle tables, however, Times league tables are sometimes the currency you have to trade in when talking to certain people.
    Don't worry, I noticed. League tables can give a good general impression of quality, as long as they're not taken too seriously. They're very good for winding people up though!

I am going to UCL for Law this year
    LOL

ReputationRep:
    LOL
    That took a little longer than I was expecting!

ReputationRep:
    To return to oldest University in England, the answer is actually Durham. See same encyclopedia
    http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionar...m%20University

Regarding UCL it says

"and the third oldest HIGHER EDUCATION INSTITUTION in England" whereas Durham is "the third oldest UNIVERSITY in England"

Just to get everything perfectly right.

(Original post by Dancer83)
    To return to oldest University in England, the answer is actually Durham. See same encyclopedia
    http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionar...m%20University

Regarding UCL it says

"and the third oldest HIGHER EDUCATION INSTITUTION in England" whereas Durham is "the third oldest UNIVERSITY in England"

Just to get everything perfectly right.
    Actually UCL and King’s are older than Durham. King’s was founded AND got its Royal Charter before Durham was founded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mg84)
    I don't remember saying LSE was obviously better for Economics than UCL.
    well i'll say it - LSE is better, and there's no doubt about it at all.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.