The Student Room Group

How important are AS mocks?

This doesn't mean I'm going to deliberately flunk them.

I have an eye operation next week which means I cannot study over christmas, so I'm doing my mocks this week and the rest of my year do them after christmas.

My boyfriend broke up with me last week and I didn't handle it well, and also I'm being expected to do all classwork, homework, etc. as well as revising for mocks as I'm the only person doing them early, so it's getting a bit much.

I was just wondering, aside from giving you a feel for how the process works, how important are AS mocks? I know GCSE ones help create your predicted grades to apply to college, but you apply to Uni after AS so is there any significance, aside from a progress check for your teachers, to them>
These are incredibly important, basically mock exams gives an idea what to focus more on, instead of studying the whole material again, let say that he's good at a particular aspect of the subject, he should then focus more on his weak areas. Mock exams are meant to save your time so that you may only study what you need to. Time is limited and here mock exams help a lot, instead of starting from a dead beginning, he only needs to study what he is not familiar with, and use the saved up time for solving past papers.
They do carry some importance, especially with the new specs, now not all schools do exams at the end of AS. Therefore you should try at least a bit. If you don't get the grades you want, you still have until May to get them to where you want them to be.
They really aren't important, the exams you do at the end of the year will be used to predict your grades for A2. Just do as much as you can, work on the areas you are weak and even if you do bad just learn from your mistakes for the summer.

I got ACCD in the winter mocks and then got AAAB in the real AS exams, so don't worry about the grades you get.
They're not important in terms of your future but they're important to you. What I mean by this is although they don't determine your predicted grades, they should be utilised to your advantage. Working out where weak areas are and improving them.
Reply 5
From what I recall I got BBBA in my mocks and for the actual AS exams i got 4 A's. It's all down to knowing how to revise effectively and making sure you don't get overloaded last minute. I believe, at least in my school, that their marking is quite harsh (not a bad thing) and they go by 80% A 70% B etc, but this is not always the case as actual grade boundaries take in consideration overall performance, whereas school just wants to prepare you as best as they can.

Quick Reply

Latest