Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    firstly to mods please dont move this to travel as my q is regarding website to book tickets and not actual travel.

I am going to manchester 2moro from Birmingham New street on the train, and was wondering if anyone knew what would be the cheapest way to book tickets in terms of which site would give me the cheapest options, i usually use nationalrail.co.uk but are there any better ways?

thanks! rep will be given

ReputationRep:
    Erm, I usually use firstgreatwestern.co.uk but don't think it makes a difference, especially when you book so close to the date of travel. You'll have to pick the tickets up at the station too, cos it's too late for them to be posted.

ive always found network rail to be the easiest to use.
    it is cheaper if you book in advance at the station though afaik. you could try ringing them as well
    http://www.thetrainline.com/ is also good

ReputationRep:
    www.gner.co.uk is the best for me.

ReputationRep:
    It's weird I was booking a train Watford -> Liverpool. Used three sites, thetrainline, virgin and network rail and got three different prices, ranging from £8.90 (thetrainline) to £27 (virgin)

So moral... even though they all supposedly use the same database.. search around.

ReputationRep:
    try virgin trains (google it) it would have been alot cheaper if you had booked in advance but it might be a bit cheaper still

ReputationRep:
    Whenever I have booked tickets each site has given the same price. I usually use www.virgintrains.co.uk as it has the best design and is easy to use. Well National Rail is a better site, but you cant book tickets through them.

ReputationRep:
    ok thanks guys it seems there isnt much diff between sites in terms of price, i guess booking in advance would have been only other option!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I use virgin - they now let you choose quiet zone/table seats for their trains, which i find great!

usually the cheap fares are available in advance - i usually book at least 8 weeks in advance to get the best fares.

ReputationRep:
    I use www.firstminutefares.co.uk and it's very cheap...buying singles though, obviously...

ReputationRep:
    It might be cheaper to buy a single there ad a single back, it's saved me about £60 before, but sometimes it can be more expensive.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.