The Student Room Group

Philip Larkin and Deprivation

Hi, for my english coursework i'm writing about deprivation in Larkin's Whitsun Weddings collection.
Does anyone know any poems which show political deprivation (neglect from authorities etc) or deprivation in the workplace?
Thanks
Does it have to be in The Whitsun Weddings? 'Homage to a Government' in High Windows (but it was actually written in 1969 so is equally close to The Whitsun Weddings's publication date of 1964) is all about the failures of government.

Tbh there's not actually that much about ineffective government in The Whitsun Weddings, which is in a way the ultimate form of political deprivation; there's no sense anywhere of an organising, human presence sorting things out. Instead, society seems very listless and lost. It is this form of deprivation (a deprivation of purpose, a deprivation of drive, a deprivation of empathy) that comes through most strongly in The Whitsun Weddings and which is more interesting to talk about, in my opinion, than scrabbling around for examples of political deprivation.
Reply 2
thank you, this was very helpful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest