Should religious societies by banned in Student Unions? Watch

onthemoon
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Just putting this out there for some rational and non-judgemental debate.

I am applying to study medicine in the Czech Republic. This is a very secular country with freedom of speech, freedom of religion all protected under law etc.

What I found out is that within the universities, religious societies (such as those in UK university student unions) are not permitted. Anyone is free to practice their religion in their own private life but the universities do not allow societies that cater to one group and by the nature of the are exclusionary. The universities also do not have churches, mosques or synagogues in their campuses.

This is quite a common thing in Europe apparently.

Got me thinking what people thought about this in UK universities. For example a Catholic society is for catholics, and Islamic society for muslims and these groups may not allow a person not sharing their faith to join.

If universities are centres ion equal learning and inclusion should student unions in the UK not allow societies that exclude people from membership?

If saying Yes or No it is helpful if you can justify with reasonably articulated arguments.
Retired_Messiah
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I mean they're trying to ban newspapers and normal gender pronouns a lot so they may as well embrace the fact that they're absolute knobs and ban religion too so everybody can be fully aware that they're madtings.
onthemoon
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Retired_Messiah)
I mean they're trying to ban newspapers and normal gender pronouns a lot so they may as well embrace the fact that they're absolute knobs and ban religion too so everybody can be fully aware that they're madtings.
Not mentioning banning religion just trying to discuss why student unions have equality and rules of non-discrimination but allow religious societies under their umbrella?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (52)
12.97%
Yes - a food allergy (43)
10.72%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (11)
2.74%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (9)
2.24%
No (286)
71.32%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed