The Student Room Group

structure and proton nmr

Compounds I and J have the molecular formula C6H12
Each has an absorption in it's infrared spectrum at about 1650cm^-1 (which is a C=C bond) and neither shows geometrical isomerism. the proton ncm spectrum of I consists of a singlet only whereas that of J consists of a singlet, triplet and a quartet.

So why is the top structure wrong?
Reply 1
Original post by will'o'wisp
Each has an absorption in it's infrared spectrum at about 1650cm^-1 (which is a C=C bond) and neither shows geometrical isomerism. the proton ncm spectrum of I consists of a singlet only whereas that of J consists of a singlet, triplet and a quartet.

your top structure only has 5 carbons and 10 hydrogens

The top structure would give no singlets, 2 doublets, 1 triplet and 2 quartets.
Reply 3
Original post by KB_97
your top structure only has 5 carbons and 10 hydrogens

ok then i'll stick a carbon on the bottom left of that carbon stuck to the double bond
Original post by GetOverHere
The top structure would give no singlets, 2 doublets, 1 triplet and 2 quartets.

oh i see
Reply 4
ok then i'll stick a carbon on the bottom left of that carbon stuck to the double bond

oh i see

Also the top structure exhibits geometric isomerism, which your question says is not the case for I.
Reply 5
Original post by alow
Also the top structure exhibits geometric isomerism, which your question says is not the case for I.

thanks a ton makes lots of sense now, sucks so much balls i never saw that structure -.-'

Quick Reply

Latest