Britain Transformed 1918-97 Essay: Watch

Jordi_Carter
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Was the Second World War the main reason for changes in social welfare provision between 1918 and 1979? Explain your answer - 20 marks

^^ any ideas on what to include?
Fox Corner
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Moved to History
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well what effect did the second world war have on the economy and wider society? Did the war promote changes in, for instance, the status of women in the workplace which might have an impact on any benefits? Were any old systems and methods of providing for the poor made irrelevant or unworkable after the war ended?
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
As above, plus what other reasons were there for such changes? Which reason was most important?
Unwrittenstars
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I've done this!

I included Second World War, Beveridge Report, the 1918 Representation of the People Act & 1928 Parliamentary Reform Act and then the baby boom of the 1960s:')
100rosie100
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Does anyone have any ideas how you would answer this question -
'How far do you agree that the welfare state was increasingly challenged 1964-79 because the post-war system of welfare provision was not fit for purpose?'
Thank you
megan_mcelwain
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
ww2= zeitgeist it transformed political will as fair shares system gave confidence that a welfare state could work but also war a driving factor as the need for support for those undeserving was changed as they became deserving example analogy of evacuation revealing the black spots of Britain holding people accountable to the state of country ww2 home front was the front line 60,000 died in German blitz built a rhetoric of we are all in this together
Ww1 para - not enough political will not as many died in this war compared to number 2 also need welfare not priority still felt that people were undeserving
Hungry 30s - people did not want to return but this didn’t change as north south divide those who weren’t affected by the depression didn’t vote for change as they couldn’t see how bad living standards got but did help as a driving factor for the need for change
Beveridge para - blue print idea of a utopia of better society people wanted to build a egalitarian society as a result of the sacrifices of war - talk about 5 giants and how most people were affected by this - also talk about sense of globalisation and competing Britain was behind
Conclusion- do a dependcy factor to access top marks it was the war that brought the change but the beveridge report gave confidence in that the change was possible
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (36)
13.95%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
8.14%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (54)
20.93%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (37)
14.34%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (32)
12.4%
How can I be the best version of myself? (78)
30.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed