Can anyone explain what Hume means by this statement? (A Level religious ethics)

Watch
xobxo
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
'Had not objects a regular conjunction with each other, we should never have entertained any notion of cause and effect; and this regular conjunction produces that inference of the understanding...liberty, when opposed to necessity, not to constraint, is the same thing with chance; which is universally allowed to have no existence.' (from the topic of free will and determinism), this quote refers to compatibilism but I can't quite get my head around it to be able to explain it! If anyone could help it would be much appreciated!
jdizzle12345
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hume argued that causation is not evident from our sense experience. All we can experience are regularities of some events following other events (he called them "constant conjunctions") but we can never say that any such event must follow necessarily from another one and it is only the mind that makes us think this way. I suppose this relates to determinism in that if the necessity of effects following their causes is not evident, then this deals a serious blow to determinism as it is reliant on determined and necessary causal chains.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (103)
60.95%
No (66)
39.05%

Watched Threads