The Student Room Group

Postgraduate funding

So I'm looking at doing a masters in digital marketing at Coventry University. The course is great and offers work placements as well as chartered marketing insituite qualifications.

I live in Coventry so for me it's a no brainier since it's such a good uni now and I've had work experience in marketing but struggling to find anything solid due to my undergrad being in a English. Really interested in that whole sector.

So my issue is, the funding for postgrad loans is only £10,000 max. And the course is £9,600!! I'd have to go part time at work but I can't see that covering rent/bills etc over a year. My undergrad degree is from Plymouth, which I would get 50% off course fees with, but it doesn't offer the same opportunities Coventry does.

Is there any other alternative funding options? Or do we have to fund out our own costs for the living arrangements? I've only just paid my student overdraft off 😂
Original post by mcgreevy1993
So I'm looking at doing a masters in digital marketing at Coventry University. The course is great and offers work placements as well as chartered marketing insituite qualifications.

I live in Coventry so for me it's a no brainier since it's such a good uni now and I've had work experience in marketing but struggling to find anything solid due to my undergrad being in a English. Really interested in that whole sector.

So my issue is, the funding for postgrad loans is only £10,000 max. And the course is £9,600!! I'd have to go part time at work but I can't see that covering rent/bills etc over a year. My undergrad degree is from Plymouth, which I would get 50% off course fees with, but it doesn't offer the same opportunities Coventry does.

Is there any other alternative funding options? Or do we have to fund out our own costs for the living arrangements? I've only just paid my student overdraft off 😂

There's no central funding available (the £10k loan is new for this year - before now you would have needed to find the fees and your living costs from your own pocket).

Some universities will offer bursaries or fee waivers/discounts/scholarships - so that's worth checking out.
You might be able to get a charitable grant or loan from somewhere - https://grants-search.turn2us.org.uk/?_ga=1.110485639.384272981.1481729901 lets you search for things that might be applicable.
Depending where you work and what you do then it's worth seeing if your employer has any funds available for CPD/career development (especially if this gets you CMI accredited qualifications then that might apply)...or sometimes they'll offer study leave which means that you don't get such a paycut (ask about the teaching timetable too - some masters are specifically designed for working people and focus all teaching into 1 or 2 days a week or at evenings).
Universities will also usually have hardship funds available.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending