Cutting carbs.. Watch

her-own-wings
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I want to cut down on my carbs a bit, I'm going to cut all sugar out of my diet. I've done this before however I always struggle with what to eat for breakfast and often just go without = baddd!

Which are my best options? Bearing in mind I need something that will last me until lunch/even further should I not have time to eat at lunch.

Also, what are some good choices for lunch that I can easily pack for college? Dinner is never a problem, I just have meat and veg/salad.

Thanks!
sauce
Badges: 13
Report 12 years ago
natural yoghurt with some fresh fruit mixed in
burningnun
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Low GI carbs..
grace
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Lilian)
natural yoghurt with some fresh fruit mixed in
most fruit isn't particularly low carb...

OP, i'm cutting carbs as well and i find the best thing to eat for brekkie is an egg or two. i wake up in the morning, pop an egg and some boiling water in the microwave (in my microwavable saucepan ) and microwave it for about 3-4 mins so it's hardboiled. Wrap it in some kitchen roll and then pop it in my handbag and take it to work with me so i can eat it at my desk (i don't feel like breakfast tooo early in the morning so i eat it at about 9:30 -10 ish).

if you have more time, something like a vegetable ommellette (SO don't know how to spell that, so i just doubled everything! sowwy :puppyeyes:) would be fantastic. A couple of eggs (you can leave the yolks in - you need some fat for energy as you're not eating carbs. They won't make you fat - don't worry!), maybe a splash of milk and some good low-carb veg like mushrooms and spinach. Maybe even a bit of cheese if you fancy, though i assume you want to watch the calories as well. Goats cheese is lower in fat, calories and saturated fat than cows milk cheese, so it's my personal cheese of preference. You could even have some lean shredded chicken or turkey.

personally, i think when following a low-carb plan, an Atkins-style 'eat as much fat, grease and oil as you want' is a really bad idea. Sure, you can lose the weight and shovel a bunch of grease down your throat, but it's so bad for your heart. You can easily do low-carbs the healthy way, by making sure you choose lean meats and dairy, and have PLENTY of low-carb veg. Generally, any green veg is going to be essentially carb free and don't be scared of having veg for breakfast!

sorry if i've rambled a bit but i'm in the same boat as you so i've kind of waffled on....!
her-own-wings
Rep:
?
Grace, those are fantastic tips! Thanks! Do you low carb to lose weight or maintain?
grace
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
ooh, i've just seen that you've asked about lunch as well .

personally, i find that a lunch of some herb salad or baby spinach salad(pretty much carb and calorie-free, but loaded with nutrients!) is gorgeous with a tin of tuna (i have tuna in water or brine because it's lower cals) and a splash of vinegrette (watch the 'low fat' ones - they often have added sugar thus lots of carbs! the best ones are just oil, vinegar and a bit of seasoning). maybe some natural cottage cheese or unsweetened greek yoghurt.

salads are a really good option, so long as they're leafy. it sounds boring - leaves and tuna - but it's a great way to make sure you're still getting your five a day. tuna's really good because it's carb-free, high in protein and very low in cals, plus it's lean. but grilled chicken or lean bacon or turkey, or boiled egg would be good as well.

another really good lunch option is to chop up a huge pile of celery sticks (not carrot, unfortunately - root veg are chocka block full of carbs) and maybe some raw mushrooms (LOVE them) and just bring along a tub of tzatziki to dip them in. Fresh and delicious.

sometimes if i don't have much of an appetite i just eat a tub of cottage cheese, or a bag of magetout (not that i'm advocating not eating alot, but i don't know what you're appetite's like - i know some days i really cannot stomach the thought of a 'proper' meal so it's nice to know there are options for the small appetite days!)

anyway i've rambled again. but i hope it helps a little!x x x
grace
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by her-own-wings)
Grace, those are fantastic tips! Thanks! Do you low carb to lose weight or maintain?
oh good i'm glad i could help a bit! currently i'm doing low-carb to lose, but i favour a low-ish carb lifestyle anyway as i find i have more energy and feel less lethargic. To maintain i still cut out bread and pasta and white potatoes and most refined carbs, but i do have some brown rice, fruit, root veg, pulses etc in moderation.
rock_ten
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by grace)
Atkins-style 'eat as much fat, grease and oil as you want' is a really bad idea. Sure, you can lose the weight and shovel a bunch of grease down your throat, but it's so bad for your heart.
I know of no evidence for this
Tyler Durden
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by rock_ten)
That saturated fats are bad for the heart?
grace
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
you know of no evidence supporting the theory that high levels of saturated fat are bad for you heart...?

have you never read a medical journal in your entire life?! it's pretty commonly accepted that high levels of saturated fat can clog arteries, raise cholesterol levels, contribute to heart attacks etc etc. obviously you can contest pretty much every medical 'fact', but as far as theories go it's a very commonly accepted one.
rock_ten
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by grace)
you know of no evidence supporting the theory that high levels of saturated fat are bad for you heart...?

have you never read a medical journal in your entire life?! it's pretty commonly accepted that high levels of saturated fat can clog arteries, raise cholesterol levels, contribute to heart attacks etc etc. obviously you can contest pretty much every medical 'fact', but as far as theories go it's a very commonly accepted one.
It was Sehnsucht that mentioned saturated fats, not me. I was responding to what you said about Atkins-style dieting. Anyway, as it happens yes I have never seen evidence causally connecting dietry saturated fats to heart disease.

grace - yes indeed it is commonly accepted, unfortunately its still bull****. Its accepted because people say it, like here in this thread, and it gets passed on and on and everyone believes it. There's literally no evidence for it at all, its hilarious that it became so ingrained as medical "fact", and its going to take forever to un**** it.

As a kind of seperate note - saturate fat "clogging arteries" is nonsense, not just that its under debate but, it does not happen at all. I guess people picture that hard fat kind of in droplets in your blood solidifying and causing blockages? That just doesn't happen at all - the blockages you'd be thinking of are more like scars which form over regions of damage to the arterial wall.

do YOU know of any evidence supporting it?
her-own-wings
Rep:
?
It was Sehnsucht that mentioned saturated fats, not me. I was responding to what you said about Atkins-style dieting. Anyway, as it happens yes I have never seen evidence causally connecting dietry saturated fats to heart disease.

grace - yes indeed it is commonly accepted, unfortunately its still bull****. Its accepted because people say it, like here in this thread, and it gets passed on and on and everyone believes it. There's literally no evidence for it at all, its hilarious that it became so ingrained as medical "fact", and its going to take forever to un**** it.

As a kind of seperate note - saturate fat "clogging arteries" is nonsense, not just that its under debate but, it does not happen at all. I guess people picture that hard fat kind of in droplets in your blood solidifying and causing blockages? That just doesn't happen at all - the blockages you'd be thinking of are more like scars which form over regions of damage to the arterial wall.

do YOU know of any evidence supporting it?
Um, hello? I didn't ask for a debate, I just wanted some advice.
Bloody hell, why do certain people on here always feel the need to turn every freaking thread into a debate? Go out, do something, get a life, rather than arguing with somebody at the other end of a computer. Join a debate club if you have to!
burningnun
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
LOLZ, rock_ten is probably one of the only people on this entire forum who actually knows what the **** he is talking about, and you bite his head off. While we're on the subject, it doesn't matter if you raise your cholestrol. It matters if the ratios of HDL to LDL cholestrol change in any significant way toward relative increase of LDL cholestrol, but that can be attributed to many factors.

Anyway, you asked for advice, and par for this section, the advice you got was ****. What's so wrong with rock_ten pointing out that the advice is ****?
grace
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by burningnun)
LOLZ, rock_ten is probably one of the only people on this entire forum who actually knows what the **** he is talking about, and you bite his head off. While we're on the subject, it doesn't matter if you raise your cholestrol. It matters if the ratios of HDL to LDL cholestrol change in any significant way toward relative increase of LDL cholestrol, but that can be attributed to many factors.

Anyway, you asked for advice, and par for this section, the advice you got was ****. What's so wrong with rock_ten pointing out that the advice is ****?
so it's **** advising her to eat eggs and low carb veg and lean meat for breakfast, on a low-carb diet? because she asked what foods to eat, and i replied. i also stated that i PERSONALLY do not advise eating high levels of grease, oils and fat. i don't really think it's a particularly far-fetched statement, i do have a fairly good knowledge of nutrition from a personal interest, as well as due to the fact that my father has a medical background and specific training in human nutrition.

i don't really see how my actual ADVICE could be described as ****.
burningnun
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
OK, some of your advice was good, rock_ten refuted the incorrect part.

Happy?
her-own-wings
Rep:
?
Wooah. I'll think about asking for advise on here again. Jesus.
shauny
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Grace is right on with the eggs, my favourite when low carbing is some scrambled eggs and some redskin peanuts. Or scrambled eggs and sausages..

There has been a 'fat phobia' for quite a while now, and, simply put, saturated fat contributes little, if *anything*, to heart disease. Trans fats are bad for you, but that's a whole different matter.

There's nothing unhealthy at all about eating lots of fat (including sat fat), although it's commonly purported that there is.

..shauny
FoeGeddaBowDeet
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Why do you want to cut carbs? There is nothing wrong with carbs. Carbs are essential.
shauny
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm guessing she wants to lose a bit of fat mate.

Carbs aren't essential by any means, it's protein and fats you really need to be healthy.

..shauny
LOST
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
All the above advice is good. What ill suggest is whatever you do, change your lifestyle slowly. Unlike most new year revolutionists, who get tired after one month from their goals because it was too much effort and they gave up. Take small steps and feel your body out. It sounds boring but it's the less 'painful' way...

Do you workout often? If you don't then I would suggest light cardio (running, swimming) . If you can afford a gym membership, go there. All that help you burn calories which you need for a calorie deficit = lose weight.

Diet: Best way is to eat in smaller portions and more meals. 5-6 Meals a day
Breakfast
Like people said above eggs/whites are great. Oatmeal/Porridge, skim milk etc
Snack 1 (pre lunch): Nuts have fats but they are good and essential for your body. Low Fat yogurt etc Sandwiches with tuna / salmon excellent choice there for protein and fats.

Lunch: Chicken breats, Lean meat. Whole wheat pasta is ok.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (2)
3.64%
They might tell the bully (6)
10.91%
I don't think they'd understand (11)
20%
It might lead to more bullying (19)
34.55%
There's nothing they could do (17)
30.91%

Watched Threads