Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Recently, I've been thinking that I might want to do a law degree with study in Europe. What I would most like to do is study in the Netherlands for a year, so I'd be studying european law and also learning dutch (I know the course would be in English but I can't see myself living in a country for a year and not learning the language). But a lot of unis don't give you the option to study in Holland, most only have France or Germany. Now, Germany is completely impossible (I am so bad at German its untrue) but I actually speak fluent french (I live in france and am taking the french bac). Although I'd prefer to go to Holland, I still think studying in France would be quite good as well. Anyway basically my questions are

1) Is it still possible for me to study law for a year in France or would I not be allowed because I already speak fluent french?

2) Which would seem better to future employers, the Netherlands or France?

3) Does studying abroad actually help your career?

and lastly 4) If anyone has studied abroad, was it a good experience and would you recommend it?

ReputationRep:
    A lot of European Law courses require fluency in the language of the country you wish to be studying at ( I think, if I'm wrong feel free to correct me ) so your fluency isn't gonna hinder you, it will help you, eg on the UCL site for Law with French Law it says;

First year students are required to take a course on French law taught in French and including law, legal institutions, and legal terminology. The Faculty does not offer language tuition and students will be responsible for maintaining or, if necessary, improving the level of their French language in order to meet the academic demands of the degree.

If you aren't that set on France you could do Law with a year abroad at Warwick where you can go to several places to study law, including Hong Kong and you don't need to speak the other language to study there. I think Nottingham offer something similar, you should ask Lewisy for details about this since he spent a year in Singapore.

You could always do the double maitrise which requires you to be fluent in French, you do 2 years in England and do the LLB then 2 years in France and get the french equivalent.

ReputationRep:
    OK, with things in Europe some countries require language fluency e.g. France, GErmany etc but places like the Netherlands are all in English, and tbh every Dutch person I've met has impeccable English! In terms of employers, tbh France is probably more useful, but they all have paris offices (if you're talking international law firms) and loads of peeps who speak french so it isn't going to make a huge difference.

In terms of helping career, I doubt it, but it is an awesome experience and it's something I did for myself rather than for my career. I went a bit further afield as a_t has indicated, and it was incredible: not only from an academic perspective, but it was a great laugh and an awesome travelling opportunity too.

At Nottingham you can apply to go to: Singapore, HK, USA (texas or virginia), Australia (NSW, Melbourne or one other I forget...), NZ and absolutely shed loads of places in Europe! Warwick also have a good system for exchanges from what I can gather, but otherwise just look around and see what you fancy.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I was thinking about going a bit further afield before but then don't you have to pay a lot for it? Because it's not with ERASMUS or SOCRATES or whatever it's called? It would probably be a better experience though than staying in France (living here just doesn't make it seem very exciting to come study here)

ReputationRep:
    errr depends. I didn't pay because Universitas 21 is the global version of ERASMUS, and most of my friends were either on that or didn't have to pay as the unis had a bilateral agreement. But people going to Texas did have to pay, because it's not U21.

ReputationRep:
    University of Surrey does offer a LLB course that includes studying at an English speaking European University for 6 months and work placement for another 6. You should check out the Law Department Website and see if you like the modules, etc...

ReputationRep:
    That sounds interesting (the surrey course), I will check it out. I really need to decide what I want to do soon lol.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 29, 2007

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.