Good universities for Span/Eng lit. Watch

hunibuni
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Hey!

I was wondering, can anyone tell me what universities are known to be good for English and Spanish (joint honours)? I am definately applying for Oxford and St. Andrews but many of the other universities that are listed on UCAS as doing my subject I have not heard much about. Here they are in alphabetical order and if anyone can give me any pointers like definately not this one or this is really nice then that would be great! (Sorry if I posted in the wrong forum - I wasn't sure if this would be better in the specific Span/Eng ones?)

University of Aberdeen
University of Wales, Aberystwyth
Aston University
University of Wales, Bangor
Birmingham University
The University of the West of England, Bristol
Cardiff University
University of Chester
Coventry University
University of Edinburgh
University of Exeter
University of Glasgow
University of Greenwich
University of Hull
University of Kent
University of Leeds
London Metropolitan University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham Trent University
Queen Mary, University of London
Queen's University, Belfast
Royal Holloway, University of London
University of Sheffield
University of Southampton
University of Strathclyde
University of Ulster
University of Westminster
University of Wolverhampton

My current thoughts would be Edinburgh, Royal Holloway, Southampton/Exeter? Any ideas about the others? Birmingham or Bristol for example? Thank you in advance for any suggestions!
Reverie.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yeah, I was going to suggest St Andrews and Edinburgh...there's Combined Arts at Durham as well, in which you could do English and Spanish.
Kater Murr
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
In order, the top ones out of there would be...

(Really good)
Oxford
St. Andrews
Edinburgh

(Very good)
Exeter
Nottingham
Leeds (Number 5 on the Times list for English!)
(^^These three would be personal recommendations - very good English reputation)
Cardiff
Sheffield
Southampton
Birmingham

(Good)
RH, London (Bit isolated, I hear)
QM, London (Bit of a ****ty area, but still...)
Queens, Belfast. (Ireland. Lovely university, bit of a trek...)

They're the best ones. In my opinion.
And the Bristol isn't any good, because it's not Bristol, it's UWE - the ex-polytechnic.
Though you might need to contact some of them because that UUE in English might look bad.
And Aberystwyth wouldn't be a bad insurance - it'll be Bs and Cs but it's apparentley very nice.
hunibuni
Rep:
?
Thanks to both of you for some great advice! I'll get looking on the websites for those. There's always so many to choose from and I was just like, omg where do I even start! That was a really detailed answer by the way bornunderpunches....some rep coming your way later.

Though you might need to contact some of them because that UUE in English might look bad.
That would be AAU in English... Hopefully it will be AAA after the remarks - I still can't work out why I got 100% in 2 modules and then completely failed the poetry/prose paper! lol. Obviously some examiners toast got burnt in the morning. :p:

And the Bristol isn't any good, because it's not Bristol, it's UWE - the ex-polytechnic.
Thank God you pointed that out! I'd been wondering for ages why I couldn't find this course on their website!! :rolleyes:
Kater Murr
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by hunibuni)
That would be AAU in English... Hopefully it will be AAA after the remarks - I still can't work out why I got 100% in 2 modules and then completely failed the poetry/prose paper! lol. Obviously some examiners toast got burnt in the morning. :p:
Woops! I did see that it was AAU, I don't really know why I typed that other thing...
If you're on Edexcel for English, that may explain it (I was, just scraped my A) - a lot of people on here have been complaining about getting funny marks from Edexcel.
hunibuni
Rep:
?
Lol. It's ok. I did OCR...perhaps they borrowed EDEXCEL'S examiner?!! (just joking by the way!)
Neutral_Tones
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
...And AQA have had funny Lit marks too!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (296)
25.92%
Yes - they're famous (292)
25.57%