Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hiya just wondering what books people feel are vital reading material, I have failed t be moved by anything for a long time, no book seems to be fulfilling or meaningful anmd i have lost interest. The last book I read and was impressed by was frankenstein by mary shelley. if anyone can post some ideas here it would be much appreciated

:-)

ReputationRep:
    Nineteen Eighty Four
    Animal Farm
    War and Peace
    The Catcher in the Rye

ReputationRep:
    I'd probably agree with the above. Even though I didn't really like W&P, it's kinda one of those books that you have to read.

I'd also add the Iliad/Odyssey. Pretty tough going at times, but they have lasted so long for a reason.

ReputationRep:
    "The Broker" by John Grisham

ReputationRep:
    Good list by Dionysus. I would add Catch 22 and probably the Harry Potter books.

ReputationRep:
    Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell
    The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R Tolkien
    The House of Spirits by Isabel Allende
    Junky by William S Burroughs
    V by Thomas Pynchon
    One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
    Nothing Like the Sun by Anthony Burgess

ReputationRep:
    A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
    I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith
    Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
    East of Eden by John Steinbeck
    The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov
    1984 by George Orwell

...actually, if you can get your hands on it, I highly recommend The Secret Life of Laszlo, Count Dracula. Very good, indeed. It's not supernatural at all, but about a murderer in Romania, who also happens to inherit the position of Count. It's brilliant - maybe I just think that because it was one of the first books I read that I really loved, but It got lots of five star reviews on Amazon

ReputationRep:
    Dune - Frank Herbert.

Bloody epic, that one.

ReputationRep:
    thanks guys i'm writing a list lol keep posting i'm sure there must be even more brill novels out there :-)

ReputationRep:
    Funny how nearly everyone has mentioned 1984...

ReputationRep:
    100 years of solitude

For excellent novels on pacifism - The English Patient and Captain Corelli's Mandolin

Middlemarch

ReputationRep:
    My favourite three of the books that I've read are probably The Count of Monte Cristo (Alexandre Dumas), Les Miserables (Victor Hugo) and Anna Karenina (Tolstoy). If you want something a little more contemporary you might try The Time Traveller's Wife.

All of these should be fulfilling and memorable.

ReputationRep:
    "Ender's Game" - Orson Scott Card

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phillip)
    100 years of solitude

For excellent novels on pacifism - The English Patient and Captain Corelli's Mandolin

Middlemarch
    Absolutely agree with your top two, 1984 and 100 years. If you'll love them then you'll love Camus - both his fiction and non-fiction - whose best work is probably a toss up between the Plague and the Outsider (or Stranger).

I'd go as far to say that Orwell and Camus are the two foremost agents of secular humanism in 20th century literature.

The must-read I would vouch for - as it's a little less well-known now days and I think it really shouldn't be - is The Ragged Trousered Philanphropist by Robert Tressel. Its a brillaint book with an extraordinarily powerful message.

ReputationRep:
    Birdsong; Never let me go (Kazuo Ishiguro); Anna Karenina

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaz031)
    My favourite three of the books that I've read are probably The Count of Monte Cristo (Alexandre Dumas), Les Miserables (Alexandre Dumas) and Anna Karenina (Tolstoy). If you want something a little more contemporary you might try The Time Traveller's Wife.

All of these should be fulfilling and memorable.
    Les Mis is by Victor Hugo. But yeah, I agree with you on the above.

I'll also add perhaps To Kill a Mockingbird.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Excalibur)
    Les Mis is by Victor Hugo. But yeah, I agree with you on the above.

Thanks - typo corrected!

ReputationRep:
    Les Miserables is excellent ;yes;

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Excalibur)
    I agree, there has to be some reason this book is read in nearly every US high school.

ReputationRep:
    Why is it read all across the US but not the UK?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.