What's the most complicated piece of code you've written?

Watch
Mistletoe
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Preferably it's just one expression/statement, but using many different aspects of programming. Please include the language it's written in.
Spratty
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I had to write a piece of code that converts visual electronic data in the form of pixels and binary, into some sort of analogue form of that data that could be understood by a human

Java
PrettymuchGod
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
SIMD FFT & an LSTM Neural Network

C++ and Assembly

I should note, making simplistic code for complicated problems is always the way to go.
NoPunInThisName
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Currently learning C++

Hopefully one day I can get back to you on this, still struggling however.
Mistletoe
Rep:
?
(Original post by NoPunInThisName)
Currently learning C++

Hopefully one day I can get back to you on this, still struggling however.
C# is much more intuitive than C++, I recommend you switch to that.
NoPunInThisName
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Mistletoe)
C# is much more intuitive than C++, I recommend you switch to that.
I agree but for Uni, C++ ks the path I must take.
INTit
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Single statements don't normally get complicated though I found you can get some scary looking ones trying to do joins in C# with LINQs method syntax. Heres a simple left join:

var source = lParent.GroupJoin( lChild, p => p.PID, c => c.PID, (p, g) => g .Select(c => new { PID = p.PID, CID = c.CID, Text = c.Text }) .DefaultIfEmpty(new { PID = p.PID, CID = -1, Text = "[[Empty]]" })) .SelectMany(g => g);
I remember trying to convert some vastly more complex stored procedure code into LINQ to entities using that syntax..It led to some real monstrosities and ran like garbage.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
-shakes head-
What everyone here describes as difficult is actually easy.. even A.I. Neural networks are basic starter concepts you see in the second year of Comp. Sci.

It's surprising how easy things look when you're a graduated professional from the best uni in the country.
Async
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by 571122)
-shakes head-
What everyone here describes as difficult is actually easy.. even A.I. Neural networks are basic starter concepts you see in the second year of Comp. Sci.

It's surprising how easy things look when you're a graduated professional from the best uni in the country.
Wow please share more of your vast knowledge
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
the code for this smiley:

:dumbells:

the spelling error does my head in each time

the scroll right code
scroll
seriously took me forever to learn it
CHEM AND BIO TIME!
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Preferably it's just one expression/statement, but using many different aspects of programming. Please include the language it's written in.
Language: English
Code:
Just met a guy.
Omg.
He was so handsome.
Naturally fit.

Caring.
Emotional.
Nice.
And if you see it you see it
Spoiler:
Show

jkkk not my code
UWS
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Print "hello world!" to terminal.
oShahpo
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The Fib. sequence was a delight to program at first. Some hard codes include generating Mendelbrot fractals
xbiostudentx
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
[img] [/img
lamentation
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A polymorphic trojan horse written in C++
Dez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Either the report/card system, or possibly the new text editor. Both were hideously complicated and took weeks!
Tootles
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
:lol:

I wrote an emulator over a weekend once, for a toy architecture of my own crude design. It's not exactly beautifully-coded, but I'd say it's the most ambitious project I've undertaken in a non-machine language ('twas C).

Possibly the single most complicated code I've done ever was a piece of assembly code I did for some PIC when I was at sixth-form. It was 254 bytes, and was a random number game, which included a routine I came up with to generate those random numbers, since the PIC didn't include one of its own. Our tutor actually told me afterwards that that was the single most ambitious project he'd ever seen - and it worked on first run.
Tootles
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by UWS)
Print "hello world!" to terminal.
My standard test for any programming language is to translate the following loop I learned in BASIC as a kid:

Code:
10 FOR I = 1 TO 100
20 PRINT I * I * I,
30 NEXT I
40 END
Really giving my age away there :lol:
Mistletoe
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tootles)
:lol:
one statement can be complicated: eg, string month = allData[i].ElementAt(4).Split('/')[1];
Tootles
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
one statement can be complicated: eg, string month = allData[i].ElementAt(4).Split('/'[1];
If declaring a variable is complicated to you, my code would scare you so much your grandchildren would have nightmares :lolwut:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (77)
29.39%
No (185)
70.61%

Watched Threads