Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I am currently in year 13 and I am studying Chemistry, Biology & Psychology (studied sociology at AS). I am hoping to study biosciences at Durham University next year!

I worked hard since my first day in AS, and it paid off. I made mind maps & cue cards for every topic and completed exam/textbook questions. I came out with AAAB at the end (B in Chemistry). I was extremely happy with these grades and have continued to use this method of revision in year 13

I recently sent off my UCAS application for biochemistry at most of my choices. I have received offers from Durham, Warwick, Sheffield & Keele, and I am waiting for a decision from York! I have A*A*A predictions, and I got A*AAAABBBB at GCSE.

I thought I'd start this blog/forum to keep myself motivated throughout the year & hopefully help me achieve the grades I need to get into Durham (AAA) or more! We just finished our mock exams and so far I have results for both Biology & Chemistry - I got A*'s in them both!! I was so amazed by this (especially chemistry) as I thought the exam papers we were given were really tough - I am just waiting on psychology now. I am really happy all my hard work seems to be paying off as I have worked extremely hard so far this year and theres nothing I want more than to get into Durham!

I have been really working hard to improve my chemistry grade this year, I've found doing loads of questions for each topic is really helpful! I use chemsheets & physics and maths tutor too which are both really good sites!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Fox Corner)
    x

ReputationRep:
    Class tests
    We have just been given back 2 AS biology tests that we completed for revision and I got an A* on one and an A on the other
    I just re-made mind maps for both of the AS topics and read over/tested myself on cue cards I made last year.

UCAS
    I'm beginning to get frustrated that York haven't made a decision yet, as its the last one I'm waiting for. York was my second choice if I didn't get into Durham, but now as I have an offer from Durham I'm considering withdrawing from York. So then I can firm Durham & put Warwick as my insurance.
    I applied on the 26th October for:
    - Durham University MBio Biosciences (offer received 10th Nov - AAA)
    - University of Warwick Biochemistry (offer received 31st Oct - ABB)
    - Keele University Biochemistry (offer received 2nd Nov - ABB)
    - University of Sheffield Biochemistry (offer received 21st Nov - AAB)
    - University of York Biochemistry (waiting for decision) - I received my decision on the 21st December, they offered me a place on an alternative course (Molecular cell biology - AAB)

Last week I received a UCAS update from Keele giving me an 'amended offer' but I cannot see any change in the offer, I emailed them their admissions department that night but have heard nothing yet.

Hope you all have a nice Christmas break

ReputationRep:
    Best of luck! Lets hope that York get back to you soon otherwise they'll be missing out on a super genius!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phoebemallow)
    Best of luck! Lets hope that York get back to you soon otherwise they'll be missing out on a super genius!
    Haha thanks! My friend has also applied to York for Biochemistry & they haven't gotten back to her either, it's so weird..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nmc0799)
    Haha thanks! My friend has also applied to York for Biochemistry & they haven't gotten back to her either, it's so weird..
    That is weird. Maybe they have slow processing times or something like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phoebemallow)
    That is weird. Maybe they have slow processing times or something like that.
    Yeah probably! I expected to be waiting to hear from Durham until February/March but not York aha! I was told Durham give their offers out after the deadline, so I was shocked when I got an offer

ReputationRep:
    A2 mocks
    Finally got all of my mock results back & I am over the moon with them, I got A*A*A* - which I really wasn't expecting!

Biology
    My teacher is putting me forward to take part in the British Biology Olympiad which is really exciting.. I don't expect to do very well in it but it will be a good experience lol

UCAS
    I received a reply from Keele about my 'amended offer', she said the offer is ABB with a C or above and a pass in the practical element of a science subject - which I didn't really understand as surely the offer would then be ABC or BBC? Also the original offer was ABB so I'm not sure what the amendment was - I'm not too bothered anyway as I'm not planning on accepting their offer, it's just a bit confusing.

Finished sixth form for christmas today so i'm glad I can finally (sort of) have a rest from revision for a while!

ReputationRep:
    A2 mocks
    Finally got all of my mock results back & I am over the moon with them, I got A*A*A* - which I really wasn't expecting!

Biology
    My teacher is putting me forward to take part in the British Biology Olympiad which is really exciting.. I don't expect to do very well in it but it will be a good experience lol

Finished sixth form for christmas today so i'm glad I can finally (sort of) have a rest from revision for a while!
    that's awesome! well done! how did you revise for biology?
    what subjects do you do!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goal101)
    that's awesome! well done! how did you revise for biology?
    what subjects do you do!
    Thankyou I just revise by making mind-maps & cue cards for each topic and kind of teaching myself by reading it out to myself. I also test recall on certain areas and have to write down each steps for a certain process without looking at my notes (and I keep repeating it until I get everything right). I also complete questions from the textbook and ones provided by our teachers in question packs, homework and tests.
    I do Biology, Chemistry & Psychology.

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou I just revise by making mind-maps & cue cards for each topic and kind of teaching myself by reading it out to myself. I also test recall on certain areas and have to write down each steps for a certain process without looking at my notes (and I keep repeating it until I get everything right). I also complete questions from the textbook and ones provided by our teachers in question packs, homework and tests.
    I do Biology, Chemistry & Psychology.
    woaaaaaaaah! That's awesome! & I do sociology - Biology and psychology as well my mocks are after the holidays so I should be revising!
    and what about your method for psychology?

ReputationRep:
    woaaaaaaaah! That's awesome! & I do sociology - Biology and psychology as well my mocks are after the holidays so I should be revising!
    and what about your method for psychology?
    Ah nice, I did Sociology last year For psychology I make mind-maps & cue cards too. Write at least one essay for each topic and just memorise all of the content.

ReputationRep:
    Ah nice, I did Sociology last year For psychology I make mind-maps & cue cards too. Write at least one essay for each topic and just memorise all of the content.
    Trust me this year sociology is SO DIFFERENT- completely a transition!
    & Thank you for the advice! hopefully I'll act on that!
    what are you applying for university ( I just read the op! paragraph! so sorry! )

ReputationRep:
    Trust me this year sociology is SO DIFFERENT- completely a transition!
    & Thank you for the advice! hopefully I'll act on that!
    what are you applying for university ( I just read the op! paragraph! so sorry! )
    Aw aha I'm so glad I dropped it! I've applied for Biochemistry, what about you?

ReputationRep:
    how did you revise for sociology last yr!

ReputationRep:
    how did you revise for sociology last yr!
    I just made mind-maps and memorised all the studies and theories!

ReputationRep:
    Hi! Name your blog more specifically

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trevish)
    Hi! Name your blog more specifically

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What do you mean? aha

ReputationRep:
    Like NMC's getting the A*

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trevish)
    Like NMC's getting the A*

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Okay aha - thanks

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.