The Student Room Group

Grow your grades 2017!

Hi :smile:
I am currently in year 13 and I am studying Chemistry, Biology & Psychology (studied sociology at AS). I am hoping to study biosciences at Durham University next year!

I worked hard since my first day in AS, and it paid off. I made mind maps & cue cards for every topic and completed exam/textbook questions. I came out with AAAB at the end (B in Chemistry). I was extremely happy with these grades and have continued to use this method of revision in year 13 :smile:

I recently sent off my UCAS application for biochemistry at most of my choices. I have received offers from Durham, Warwick, Sheffield & Keele, and I am waiting for a decision from York! I have A*A*A predictions, and I got A*AAAABBBB at GCSE.

I thought I'd start this blog/forum to keep myself motivated throughout the year & hopefully help me achieve the grades I need to get into Durham (AAA) or more! We just finished our mock exams and so far I have results for both Biology & Chemistry - I got A*'s in them both!! I was so amazed by this (especially chemistry) as I thought the exam papers we were given were really tough - I am just waiting on psychology now. I am really happy all my hard work seems to be paying off as I have worked extremely hard so far this year and theres nothing I want more than to get into Durham!

I have been really working hard to improve my chemistry grade this year, I've found doing loads of questions for each topic is really helpful! I use chemsheets & physics and maths tutor too which are both really good sites!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Class tests
We have just been given back 2 AS biology tests that we completed for revision and I got an A* on one and an A on the other :smile:
I just re-made mind maps for both of the AS topics and read over/tested myself on cue cards I made last year.

UCAS
I'm beginning to get frustrated that York haven't made a decision yet, as its the last one I'm waiting for. York was my second choice if I didn't get into Durham, but now as I have an offer from Durham I'm considering withdrawing from York. So then I can firm Durham & put Warwick as my insurance.
I applied on the 26th October for:
- Durham University MBio Biosciences (offer received 10th Nov - AAA)
- University of Warwick Biochemistry (offer received 31st Oct - ABB)
- Keele University Biochemistry (offer received 2nd Nov - ABB)
- University of Sheffield Biochemistry (offer received 21st Nov - AAB)
- University of York Biochemistry (waiting for decision) - I received my decision on the 21st December, they offered me a place on an alternative course (Molecular cell biology - AAB)

Last week I received a UCAS update from Keele giving me an 'amended offer' but I cannot see any change in the offer, I emailed them their admissions department that night but have heard nothing yet.

Hope you all have a nice Christmas break :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Best of luck! Lets hope that York get back to you soon otherwise they'll be missing out on a super genius! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by phoebemallow
Best of luck! Lets hope that York get back to you soon otherwise they'll be missing out on a super genius! :smile:

Haha thanks! My friend has also applied to York for Biochemistry & they haven't gotten back to her either, it's so weird..
Original post by nmc0799
Haha thanks! My friend has also applied to York for Biochemistry & they haven't gotten back to her either, it's so weird..

That is weird. Maybe they have slow processing times or something like that.
Reply 6
Original post by phoebemallow
That is weird. Maybe they have slow processing times or something like that.

Yeah probably! I expected to be waiting to hear from Durham until February/March but not York aha! I was told Durham give their offers out after the deadline, so I was shocked when I got an offer
Reply 7
A2 mocks
Finally got all of my mock results back & I am over the moon with them, I got A*A*A* - which I really wasn't expecting!

Biology
My teacher is putting me forward to take part in the British Biology Olympiad which is really exciting.. I don't expect to do very well in it but it will be a good experience lol :smile:

UCAS
I received a reply from Keele about my 'amended offer', she said the offer is ABB with a C or above and a pass in the practical element of a science subject - which I didn't really understand as surely the offer would then be ABC or BBC? Also the original offer was ABB so I'm not sure what the amendment was - I'm not too bothered anyway as I'm not planning on accepting their offer, it's just a bit confusing.

Finished sixth form for christmas today so i'm glad I can finally (sort of) have a rest from revision for a while! :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by nmc0799
A2 mocks
Finally got all of my mock results back & I am over the moon with them, I got A*A*A* - which I really wasn't expecting!

Biology
My teacher is putting me forward to take part in the British Biology Olympiad which is really exciting.. I don't expect to do very well in it but it will be a good experience lol :smile:

Finished sixth form for christmas today so i'm glad I can finally (sort of) have a rest from revision for a while! :tongue:

that's awesome! well done! how did you revise for biology?
what subjects do you do!
Reply 9
Original post by goal101
that's awesome! well done! how did you revise for biology?
what subjects do you do!

Thankyou :smile: I just revise by making mind-maps & cue cards for each topic and kind of teaching myself by reading it out to myself. I also test recall on certain areas and have to write down each steps for a certain process without looking at my notes (and I keep repeating it until I get everything right). I also complete questions from the textbook and ones provided by our teachers in question packs, homework and tests.
I do Biology, Chemistry & Psychology.
Original post by nmc0799
Thankyou :smile: I just revise by making mind-maps & cue cards for each topic and kind of teaching myself by reading it out to myself. I also test recall on certain areas and have to write down each steps for a certain process without looking at my notes (and I keep repeating it until I get everything right). I also complete questions from the textbook and ones provided by our teachers in question packs, homework and tests.
I do Biology, Chemistry & Psychology.

woaaaaaaaah! That's awesome! & I do sociology - Biology and psychology as well my mocks are after the holidays so I should be revising!
and what about your method for psychology?
Reply 11
Original post by goal101
woaaaaaaaah! That's awesome! & I do sociology - Biology and psychology as well my mocks are after the holidays so I should be revising!
and what about your method for psychology?

Ah nice, I did Sociology last year:smile: For psychology I make mind-maps & cue cards too. Write at least one essay for each topic and just memorise all of the content.
Original post by nmc0799
Ah nice, I did Sociology last year:smile: For psychology I make mind-maps & cue cards too. Write at least one essay for each topic and just memorise all of the content.

Trust me this year sociology is SO DIFFERENT- completely a transition!
& Thank you for the advice! hopefully I'll act on that!
what are you applying for university ( I just read the op! paragraph! so sorry! )
Reply 13
Original post by goal101
Trust me this year sociology is SO DIFFERENT- completely a transition!
& Thank you for the advice! hopefully I'll act on that!
what are you applying for university ( I just read the op! paragraph! so sorry! )

Aw aha I'm so glad I dropped it! I've applied for Biochemistry, what about you?
how did you revise for sociology last yr!
Reply 15
Original post by goal101
how did you revise for sociology last yr!

I just made mind-maps and memorised all the studies and theories!
Hi! Name your blog more specifically :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by Trevish
Hi! Name your blog more specifically :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you mean? aha
Like NMC's getting the A*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by Trevish
Like NMC's getting the A*