Fixing sleeping pattern - best way to do this?

Watch
snowman77
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I have an interview next Wednesday at 9am. I asked if it could be at a time later in the day, but they said due to business arrangements, it had to be at that time.

I'm used to getting to sleep** any time between 5am and 7am, even some times after 7am.

So there are 2 options to fix it for the interview at 9am:

a) wake up very early each day for the next week. This would be quite painful, as I would have to remain awake for the whole day on almost no sleep. I'd have to do this several days in a row.

b) don't fix it, and just instead go to the interview at 9am that day without sleep. Given that I would need to wake up at 7am anyway on that day, it's not like it'd be such a big deal.

So which is the best option?

**(the time you get into bed and the time you get to sleep are different - I get into bed as early as 2am, but don't actually get to sleep until at least 5am)
SoulfulTwist
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Stay awake one night and day.
That night sleep at the time you need to get the full hours of sleep you need and wake up at the time you need.
Everyday after, stick to this timing.
By Wednesday you should be used to it.
It's how I fix my sleeping pattern. First day is the toughest.

Good luck in your interview
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by snowman77)
I have an interview next Wednesday at 9am. I asked if it could be at a time later in the day, but they said due to business arrangements, it had to be at that time.

I'm used to getting to sleep** any time between 5am and 7am, even some times after 7am.

a) wake up very early each day for the next week. This would be quite painful, as I would have to remain awake for the whole day on almost no sleep. I'd have to do this several days in a row.

b) don't fix it, and just instead go to the interview at 9am that day without sleep. Given that I would need to wake up at 7am anyway on that day, it's not like it'd be such a big deal.

**(the time you get into bed and the time you get to sleep are different - I get into bed as early as 2am, but don't actually get to sleep until at least 5am)
Why are you staying up so late?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/arti...-getting-older lists some things that are proven to work long term to improve your sleeping patterns.
snowman77
Rep:
?
(Original post by starfab)
That night sleep at the time you need to get the full hours of sleep you need and wake up at the time you need.

I have tried this before. What happens is that I wake up at 10am (for example). Very tired throughout the day, then it comes to midnight and I feel very awake. Even though I got 3 or 4 hours sleep the last night. Your body is so used to being awake at midnight, that you can't get to sleep at that time, even if you've had very little sleep the night before.

(Original post by PQ)
Why are you staying up so late?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/arti...-getting-older lists some things that are proven to work long term to improve your sleeping patterns.
No particular reason, it just got like this over time.
SoulfulTwist
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I have tried this before. What happens is that I wake up at 10am (for example). Very tired throughout the day, then it comes to midnight and I feel very awake. Even though I got 3 or 4 hours sleep the last night. Your body is so used to being awake at midnight, that you can't get to sleep at that time, even if you've had very little sleep the night before.

No particular reason, it just got like this over time.
Erm, not sure you're understanding.
Example. If I wanted to fix my sleep pattern...
Today is Wednesday. No sleep at all tonight. No sleep during day tomorrow.
Thursday sleep at 11:00pm. Whether fall asleep or not.
Friday atleast 5 alarms set for 7:00am
Stay awake Fri during day until 11:00pm. No naps in between.
Sleep and loads of alarms for Sat 7:00am

Might take a few days to get used to. That's how I do it anyway..maybe something else would work for you.
Anonymoùs
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Option B with some Pro Plus thrown in for good measure.
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

This ^^^

It's better to fix your sleeping pattern than essentially do an interview in the middle of the night when you're tired... plus you'll have the added benefit of a normal sleeping pattern after that
snowman77
Rep:
?
Erm, not sure you're understanding.
Example. If I wanted to fix my sleep pattern...
Today is Wednesday. No sleep at all tonight. No sleep during day tomorrow.
Thursday sleep at 11:00pm. Whether fall asleep or not.
Friday atleast 5 alarms set for 7:00am
Stay awake Fri during day until 11:00pm. No naps in between.
Sleep and loads of alarms for Sat 7:00am

Might take a few days to get used to. That's how I do it anyway..maybe something else would work for you.
Yes, I understand exactly what you're saying.

What I'm saying is that when it comes round to 11pm the next day, I feel too awake to go to sleep. Even though I stayed up all night and all day. Because my body is so used to being awake at that time.
SoulfulTwist
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yes, I understand exactly what you're saying.

What I'm saying is that when it comes round to 11pm the next day, I feel too awake to go to sleep. Even though I stayed up all night and all day. Because my body is so used to being awake at that time.
Yes. That happens to me too sometimes.
But about the day after? You'll be on really few hours of sleep as you hadn't slept the fay before, and couldn't fall asleep at 11:00 but still had an early morning. So that evening surely you'll be able to go to sleep? Or even the day after. If you force yourself to wake up early each day regardless of when you fall asleep?

It's a habit you have to break your body out of. Tough stuff really.
snowman77
Rep:
?
Yes. That happens to me too sometimes.
But about the day after? You'll be on really few hours of sleep as you hadn't slept the fay before, and couldn't fall asleep at 11:00 but still had an early morning. So that evening surely you'll be able to go to sleep? Or even the day after. If you force yourself to wake up early each day regardless of when you fall asleep?

It's a habit you have to break your body out of. Tough stuff really.
Well I woke up at 10am yesterday. Stayed up all day, despite feeling very tired in the early afternoon (to the point where I could feel my eyes closing).

Then it got to 11:30pm, I got into bed and BAM!!! couldn't get to sleep until about 5am (the problem I said I would have).

Then set my alarm for 9:30am today. Woke up, felt incredibly tired, having got 4 hours sleep the past 2 nights. Decided to sleep until 1pm.

I think the best thing to do is stay awake the whole night before my interview. I'm not going to fix this sleeping pattern in time. My body is just too used to being awake at night.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Well I woke up at 10am yesterday. Stayed up all day, despite feeling very tired in the early afternoon (to the point where I could feel my eyes closing).

Then it got to 11:30pm, I got into bed and BAM!!! couldn't get to sleep until about 5am (the problem I said I would have).

Then set my alarm for 9:30am today. Woke up, felt incredibly tired, having got 4 hours sleep the past 2 nights. Decided to sleep until 1pm.

I think the best thing to do is stay awake the whole night before my interview. I'm not going to fix this sleeping pattern in time. My body is just too used to being awake at night.
Did you drink caffeine after 3pm?

Did you use screens after 6pm?

Did you follow any of the advice about habits proven to help regulate your sleeping patterns in the link I posted?

There's also a mythbusters experiment where they demonstrated that resting with your eyes closed in a dark room was as good for your rest levels (and alert levels) as sleeping. Even if you aren't sleeping then spending the night resting (personally I put audio books or radio 4 programs on - you can switch off and close your eyes but you don't feel like you're just wasting your time) will help reset your body clock.
SoulfulTwist
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Basically as PQ said.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (96)
28.24%
No - I have already returned home (44)
12.94%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (65)
19.12%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (34)
10%
No - I live at home during term anyway (101)
29.71%

Watched Threads