The Student Room Group

Processing of PhD applications

Hi,

I've applied to one of Imperial's PhD programmes. I only handed in my application a few minutes before the deadline. I think that universities would probably process applications in alphabetical order and my name begins with A so I'm worried that they've rejected me. They did say that they would make interview invitations by January, 6th. Any thoughts or experiences?

Thanks.
Reply 1
Applications take ages to process, the whole system is very unregulated.

It's always best to email potential supervisors before applying with a CV and research proposal, if they
are interested, you apply. The PhD application process can be fast tracked if you actually email (and ideally
meet your potential supervisor).

But if you do apply blind, expect a process along these lines....

1) Application received, admin will process it, they will request further documents till it's a complete application.
2) Potential applicants are checked by at least 2 academics and a short list is made
3) Good applicants are invited for interview (this is where you need to shine)
4) Within 2-3 weeks after the interview, they will make a decision
5) Admin takes over your application and processes the offer
6) You accept the offer and sort out fees (or stipend if you are being paid it). Registration
(edited 7 years ago)
It varies by institution, department and funding programme but typically in open-competition there is an oversight committee of academics who will screen applications and produce a shortlist of candidates. There maybe wider involvement from the whole department as well during parts of the discussion so things can take time. I would not be concerned.
Reply 3
Original post by twentytwo
Applications take ages to process, the whole system is very unregulated.

It's always best to email potential supervisors before applying with a CV and research proposal, if they
are interested, you apply. The PhD application process can be fast tracked if you actually email (and ideally
meet your potential supervisor).

But if you do apply blind, expect a process along these lines....

1) Application received, admin will process it, they will request further documents till it's a complete application.
2) Potential applicants are checked by at least 2 academics and a short list is made
3) Good applicants are invited for interview (this is where you need to shine)
4) Within 2-3 weeks after the interview, they will make a decision
5) Admin takes over your application and processes the offer
6) You accept the offer and sort out fees (or stipend if you are being paid it). Registration

The programme that I applied for didn't ask for a research proposal.
Reply 4
OP, my PhD application took around 2 months in total to materialise, from initial application to interview to offer. The main delays I find is people don't know what other people are doing.

There are several levels of admin as well, most likely the admin in your department and the PGR office (Postgraduate Research Office). So usually documents need to be signed off by the head of department, your supervisor, department admin and the PGR office.
Reply 5
Original post by mhaa95
The programme that I applied for didn't ask for a research proposal.

What programme is it? Is it in the Business School?
Reply 6
What programme is it? Is it in the Business School?

It's the Wellcome Trust 4-Year PhD programme in Theoretical Systems Biology and Bioinformatics.
Reply 7
Original post by mhaa95
It's the Wellcome Trust 4-Year PhD programme in Theoretical Systems Biology and Bioinformatics.

Ok, so the 4 year PhD programmes are basically like the American Style PhDs (a lot of the UK is shifting to this, because a lot of MSc/MA graduates don't have the required research skills or knowledge)

It will most likely be a 2+2 programme. So 2 years of classes/research training/ proposal building and 2 years of writing

I don't know if you will have exams in your first year, always best to check and whether if you fail those, they will keep you. In the US there are foundation exams for the PhD which have to be passed to carry on with the PhD.
Reply 8
Ok, so the 4 year PhD programmes are basically like the American Style PhDs (a lot of the UK is shifting to this, because a lot of MSc/MA graduates don't have the required research skills or knowledge)

It will most likely be a 2+2 programme. So 2 years of classes/research training/ proposal building and 2 years of writing

I don't know if you will have exams in your first year, always best to check and whether if you fail those, they will keep you. In the US there are foundation exams for the PhD which have to be passed to carry on with the PhD.

Perhaps. I think that in this case they have just merged the MSc with the PhD.
Reply 9
Original post by mhaa95
Perhaps. I think that in this case they have just merged the MSc with the PhD.

Yes, you are right, but the normal 4 year PhD takes a 2+2 route (with no exit qualification). The 3 year PhDs you can fail and come out with an MPhil.

Do you hold an MSc?
Reply 10
Yes, you are right, but the normal 4 year PhD takes a 2+2 route (with no exit qualification). The 3 year PhDs you can fail and come out with an MPhil.

Do you hold an MSc?

No, I'm predicted a 1:1.
Original post by mhaa95
No, I'm predicted a 1:1.

Well have a research proposal in mind in the next year or so, i'm sure the MSc will
give you a better idea of what you are doing.

Plus I'm sure if you hate the stuff, you can leave after the MSc.

But you need to make sure in interview you explain why you want to do a PhD, PhDs are generally (though not necessarily) for academia.
Reply 12
OP, my PhD application took around 2 months in total to materialise, from initial application to interview to offer. The main delays I find is people don't know what other people are doing.

There are several levels of admin as well, most likely the admin in your department and the PGR office (Postgraduate Research Office). So usually documents need to be signed off by the head of department, your supervisor, department admin and the PGR office.

Which subject area did you apply for and to which institution?
Original post by mhaa95
Which subject area did you apply for and to which institution?

I've actually gone through a few PhD offers (it's a long story).

My first PhD was in economics at the University of Surrey, before they decided to kick out the half to class in a bunga bunga style italian corruption initiative. Place is corrupt as hell in the economics department, would not recommend. I did do the first year of the PhD programme there.

I then applied for PhD's in finance, I got two offers, one from Southampton and the other from Greenwich. I took the Greenwich offer since I have to pay zero tuition fees and get paid £14.2K a year as a stipend. Southampton was a paid phd, and I'm tired of giving people money now.

The Greenwich PhD one took two months, Southampton around one-two months.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 14
I've actually gone through a few PhD offers (it's a long story).

My first PhD was in economics at the University of Surrey, before they decided to kick out the half to class in a bunga bunga style italian corruption initiative. Place is corrupt as hell in the economics department, would not recommend. I did do the first year of the PhD programme there.

I then applied for PhD's in finance, I got two offers, one from Southampton and the other from Greenwich. I took the Greenwich offer since I have to pay zero tuition fees and get paid £14.2K a year as a stipend. Southampton was a paid phd, and I'm tired of giving people money now.

The Greenwich PhD one took two months, Southampton around one-two months.

I'm surprised to hear your story about Surrey; I wouldn't expect such bad corruption.

How's your PhD at Greenwich going?
I have contacted my potential PhD supervisor and she has agreed to take me on as her candidate. We have also agreed on the topic that I will be doing and she told me if I proceed with the application an offer can be made.

The problem is now the university application system requires for 2 referees (at least 1 academic who's supervised my research). There's this whole thing with my previous MSc supervisor who has not been responsive to any of my emails since September. Now that I have come to a dead end I am thinking to get 2 professional references (both are actually from academia, the university I am teaching at now). Do you think that this will be a problem since my potential supervisor has already agreed to take me on?
Reply 16
Original post by malaysian dentist
I have contacted my potential PhD supervisor and she has agreed to take me on as her candidate. We have also agreed on the topic that I will be doing and she told me if I proceed with the application an offer can be made.

The problem is now the university application system requires for 2 referees (at least 1 academic who's supervised my research). There's this whole thing with my previous MSc supervisor who has not been responsive to any of my emails since September. Now that I have come to a dead end I am thinking to get 2 professional references (both are actually from academia, the university I am teaching at now). Do you think that this will be a problem since my potential supervisor has already agreed to take me on?

We can't tell you - you need to go back and ask your uni/prospective supervisor. It would be very unusual to be accepted for a PhD without an academic reference, when you've come from another academic course rather than a working environment. But it's up to your uni so you need to ask as a matter of urgency.
Reply 17

Are you still doing your MSc?
^ No I finished in September. My MSc supervisor ceased all communications with me and my other colleague since then (though he is still exchanging emails with another one), which is weird since we left on good terms. Sucks, but whatever.
Reply 19
^ No I finished in September. My MSc supervisor ceased all communications with me and my other colleague since then (though he is still exchanging emails with another one), which is weird since we left on good terms. Sucks, but whatever.

Someone from your department should be able to write you an academic reference based on your records. It won't be as personalised, but it's better than nothing.

At my current uni, ignoring a request for a reference should be taken as a refusal to provide it. Nobody ever directly declines to give a reference. Don't know if that's common though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending