Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, this isn't my car, but I have just got a Clio and want to replace this part as it is a little scratched on my car. Does anyone know what it is called? (And maybe how much a new one will cost and how easy they are to install?)

the black plastic?
    ive always called it a bump strip, dunno if thats right or not

ReputationRep:
    Bump strip/rub strip/side strip. Dead cheap and easy to replace. Normally they're glued/clipped on and to remove you can use a hairdryer to warm up the glue, then use some dental floss to get behind the strip and cut away the glue itself. Then just clean the area the new strip will be placed on and follow the instructions.

ReputationRep:
    I think they're called side mouldings/side impact mouldings. There's loads of Ford side mouldings on Ebay (seem to be going for £5 - £20 on buy it now), but can't see any Clio ones.
    If you plan to replace one side it might be worth considering replacing both sides with silver or body-coloured mouldings (used on the Renaultsport Clios), although they might be harder to find than the normal black ones.

ReputationRep:
    lots of different names, as above, if you dont see any showing up on ebay, it could be worth getting down to your nearest breaker's yard and asking, will probably pick em up for a fiver or so if lucky

ReputationRep:
    but, if they are attached by clips, you stand little/no chance of getting some from a breakers as you wil almost certainly snap clips getting them off - its the law of "cheap brittle plastics always breaking so your stealer charges you through the nose for new ones"

ReputationRep:
    door strip

ReputationRep:
    i call them side strips, and they are clipped on. you can remove them in two ways, either carefully pull it out and squeeze the clips with needle nose plyers or and much better way, is to remove the door card and get at them that way. and i cannot stress how much of an improvment it will make if you spray them the same colour as the car! halfrauds should have the exact colour for your car in spray can form. no more than £10 i would have thought, but you may get ripped off if you look too easy!

ReputationRep:
    my post was bloody purposeful

here it is again: http://www.cliosport.net will be able to tell you where the best place to get that part is, and how to fit it.

Just to appease the mods, before they moan:

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18 is the forum you need to ask in.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.