Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How do I find out if I have USB 2.0 as opposed to standard USB?

ReputationRep:
    Check Device Manager (in Control Panel > System). In Device Manager, look under Universal Serial Bus controllers.

ReputationRep:
    And if you plug a usb 2 device in a usb 1.1 hub/port in windows xp it will tell you that a "high speed device has been plugged into a low speed hub" or something of the sort.

ReputationRep:
    Luckily USB2 is backwards compatible so you don't need extra ports.

ReputationRep:
    also, even if u have usb2 devices u need sp1 to run it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    Luckily USB2 is backwards compatible so you don't need extra ports.
    i never knew that
    so they just revert to low speed data transfers?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know that it always happens - there may be some devices (not 100% on this) that actually require USB 2 and the high speeds of it to function, but yeah, most devices just drop down to USB 1.

ReputationRep:
    This is what is under my "Universal Serial Bus contollers" root in Device Manager:

-Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Conroller - 24D2
    -Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Conroller - 24D4
    -Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Conroller - 24D7
    -Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Conroller - 24DE
    -Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
    -USB Printing Support
    -USB Root Hub
    -USB Root Hub
    -USB Root Hub
    -USB Root Hub
    -USB Root Hub

Does this mean I have USB 2.0? I've heard that "enhanced" should mean I have USB 2.0, but I'm not sure.

The reason I want to know is that I'm ripping all my CDs to MP3 in preparation for my new MP3 player which I'm gettin in about a month. However, I dont want to rip it onto this PC if its only got USB 1, as transfer will take forever. If I only have standard USB, I'd rather wait and rip my CD's to my new laptop, which will have USB 2.0.

ReputationRep:
    How old/new is your PC?

After reading up, apparently in Device Manager "USB 2.0 Root Hub" should be displayed but this is not always proven supposedly.

Your best bet is to find out your motherboard make/model and type it into google, and try and find specs for that motherboard, however the chances are i reckon if your PC's less than a year old/ around that sort of age it *should* be usb 2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James.R)
    How old/new is your PC?

After reading up, apparently in Device Manager "USB 2.0 Root Hub" should be displayed but this is not always proven supposedly.

Your best bet is to find out your motherboard make/model and type it into google, and try and find specs for that motherboard, however the chances are i reckon if your PC's less than a year old/ around that sort of age it *should* be usb 2
    it doesnt have to be: i have USB 2 and it just lists USB ROOT HUB 's in my device manager...

ReputationRep:
    The PCs age may not give it away, my motherboard is only 9 months old but because it was a cheap one ECS K75SA (£20 at the time) it dosn't support USB 2.0.

If you need USB 2.0 and you're computer dosn't have it then buy a cheap PCI USB 2.0 controler card.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.