German Intelligence: Saudi Arabia Promoting Islamic Extremism

Watch
username2950448
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and Qatar are supporting extremist Islamic groups in Germany, according to a leaked intelligence report.

A brief seen by the Süddeutsche Zeitung and broadcasters NDR and WDR raised concern over a reported increase in support for fundamentalist Salafism in Germany, warning that the ideology already has 10,000 followers and is growing.

The report, by Germany’s BfV domestic intelligence agency and Federal Intelligence Service (BND) reportedly accused Gulf groups of funding mosques, religious schools, hardline preachers and conversion or “dawah” groups to spread the ideology.

Missionary movements were part of a “long-running strategy to exert influence” by the three states, it found, naming the Saudi Muslim World League, Sheikh Eid Bin Mohammad al-Thani Charitable Association and Kuwaiti Revival of Islamic Heritage Society (RIHS), which has been banned by the US and Russia for allegedly supporting al-Qaeda. The report said all three organisations were “closely connected with government offices in their home countries”.

The BND and BfV have not confirmed the accuracy of leaked excerpts but sources told Deutsche Welle that some members of the security community believe it was internally leaked to pressure the German government into stopping controversial arms sales to Saudi Arabia.

Germany has been on high alert since it was hit by two terror attacks carried out by Isis supporters in July, with other plots subsequently uncovered amid warnings that attempts to attack Europe will continue.
Source (highlighted the key parts in bold).

Germany is just the latest place to be victim to Saudi's funding and promoting of Wahhabism across the world.

A leaked Wikileaks cable quoted Hillary Clinton as saying:
"donors in Saudi Arabia constitute the most significant source of funding to Sunni terrorist groups worldwide... More needs to be done since Saudi Arabia remains a critical financial support base for al-Qaeda, the Taliban, LeT and other terrorist groups.”
Source.

Given this promotion/funding of terrorist Islamist groups that directly threaten the West/Europe, is it appropriate for the UK/Germany to continue providing military (Saudi Arabia being Britain's biggest military export destination) and diplomatic (with Britain helping elect Saudi as the Chair of a UN Human Rights Panel) support to Saudi Arabia?
l'etranger
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I don't understand why this is shocking, all governments and powerful bodies attempt to not just spy on the public but influence their thinking. Of course the following example is a positive, but for the past 50-60 the British general public has been exposed to anti-racist, anti-homophobic thought and this has created a better society, but rather than whining like little girls, the Germans should actually do something about it, either by banning not-for-profit Saudi organisations operating in Germany or by promoting tolerance to replace the intolerance being promoted currently.
childofthesun
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Quelle surprise
username2950448
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by l'etranger)
I don't understand why this is shocking, all governments and powerful bodies attempt to not just spy on the public but influence their thinking.
I think it's shocking because this is a country that we - the West - are close allies with, that is actively promoting and funding what we - the West - also consider to be the greatest threat to us and stability (not only in the ME, but in the world because of the repercussions of the ME - such as the refugee crisis).

That inherent and total conflict to me is a really big deal that doesn't get the attention it deserves.

Of this is a positive, but for the past 50-60 years the British general public has been exposed to anti-racist, anti-homophobic thought and this has created a better society, but rather than whining like little girls, the Germans should actually do something about it, either by banning not-for-profit Saudi organisations operating in Germany or by promoting tolerance to replace the intolerance being promoted currently.
I agree with you on that, the point of the leaked memo was allegedly to pressure the German government to reconsider their arms deals to Saudi. I think a response needs to be of the kind you mention, but it needs to go beyond that to really illustrate to Saudi Arabia that we won't tolerate them promoting and funding a belief system that is a direct threat to not only German/Western interests, but German/Western lives.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Palmyra)
I think it's shocking because this is a country that we - the West - are close allies with, that is actively promoting and funding what we - the West - also consider to be the greatest threat to us and stability (not only in the ME, but in the world because of the repercussions of the ME - such as the refugee crisis).

That inherent and total conflict to me is a really big deal that doesn't get the attention it deserves.

I agree with you on that, the point of the leaked memo was allegedly to pressure the German government to reconsider their arms deals to Saudi. I think a response needs to be of the kind you mention, but it needs to go beyond that to really illustrate to Saudi Arabia that we won't tolerate them promoting and funding a belief system that is a direct threat to not only German/Western interests, but German/Western lives.
You seem to be unaware that a similar thing is happening in Britain with the Deobandi and Salafi/Wahhabi mosques (together, constituting over 50% of all British mosques) being funded from Pakistan and Saudi Arabia.

http://www.spectator.co.uk/2014/06/w...s-our-mosques/

http://www.iaindale.com/posts/2015/0...oreign-funding

http://www.lapidomedia.com/node/5258

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...re-398516.html
username1221160
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's not real surprise.

But don't expect anything to change. Our Conservative government places the importance of those arms deals ahead of any moral considerations.
Tempest II
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Quantex)
It's not real surprise.

But don't expect anything to change. Our Conservative government places the importance of those arms deals ahead of any moral considerations.
Which Labour's Tony Blair also supported (& still supports) I might add...

Boris Johnson was actually spot on with his recent comments.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38245902
Joep95
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Quantex)
It's not real surprise.

Is everything the Tory's fault?

Is anybody surprised about this?
yudothis
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
We have been talking about "Salafisten" for years. Not like this will change anything.
username1221160
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Tempest II)
Which Labour's Tony Blair also supported (& still supports) I might add...
Yep, I'm well aware. The Al-Yamamah bribery case showed what a contemptible guy Tony Blair was.
Tempest II
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
At least the Queen had the right idea when it comes to dealing with the Saudis!

"You are not supposed to repeat what the Queen says in private conversation. But the story she told me on that occasion was one that I was also to hear later from its subject - Crown Prince Abdullah of Saudi Arabia - and it is too funny not to repeat.
Five years earlier, in September 1998, Abdullah had been invited up to Balmoral, for lunch with the Queen. Following his brother King Fahd's stroke in 1995, Abdullah was already the de facto ruler of Saudi Arabia. After lunch, the Queen had asked her royal guest whether he would like a tour of the estate.
Prompted by his Foreign Minister, the urbane Prince Saud, an initially hesitant Abdullah agreed. The royal Land Rovers were drawn up in front of the castle. As instructed, the Crown Prince climbed into the front seat of the front Land Rover, with his interpreter in the seat behind. To his surprise, the Queen climbed into the driving seat, turned the ignition and drove off. Women are not - yet - allowed to drive in Saudi Arabia, and Abdullah was not used to being driven by a woman, let alone a queen. His nervousness only increased as the Queen, an Army driver in wartime, accelerated the Land Rover along the narrow Scottish estate roads, talking all the time. Through his interpreter, the Crown Prince implored the Queen to slow down and concentrate on the road ahead."
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (104)
60.82%
No (67)
39.18%

Watched Threads