The Student Room Group

Saudi woman arrested for tweeting photo of herself without a hijab

Saudi police have arrested a young woman who tweeted a picture of herself outdoors without the body-length robes and head scarf that women in the kingdom are required to wear.

A woman identified as Malak al-Shehri posted a picture of herself on Twitter in a jacket and multi-colored dress last month after announcing that she would leave her house without her abaya, a long loose-fitting robe, and headscarf.

The tweet caused a backlash with many calling for Shehri whose first name means angel, which was also her moniker online to be executed with the hashtag “We demand the arrest of the rebel Angel Shehri.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/dec/12/saudi-arabia-headscarf-woman-twitter-arrest

Peaceful muslims on another witch-hunt for execution.

Scroll to see replies

Failing to differentiate religion from cultural practices wont take you far in life
Reply 2
This is crazy! I come from a Muslim background and can tell you it's a cultural thing (to force) *****y one though!:frown:
Reply 3
Original post by TaintedLight
Failing to differentiate religion from cultural practices wont take you far in life

It's the law, directed by Islam - a religion last time I checked:

Riyadh police stress that the action of this woman violates the laws applied in this country,” Maiman said, urging the public to “adhere to the teachings of Islam.” Saudi women are expected to wear headscarves and loosefitting garments such as an abaya when in public.
Reply 4
Original post by Papaya24
This is crazy! I come from a Muslim background and can tell you it's a cultural thing (to force) *****y one though!:frown:

What do you think determines a "cultural thing"?
Reply 5
What goes on in Saudi Arabia almost always has no relation to Islam and has nothing to do with the rules or restrictions of the religion - it is the government of Saudi and the Saudi citizens who choose to live how they live

next thread pls
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 408655
What goes on in Saudi Arabia almost always has no relation to Islam and has nothing to do with the religion - it is the government of Saudi and the Saudi citizens who choose to live how they live

You seem to imply that the policies/laws of Saudi Arabia are dictated by democratic support (that is to say, supported by Saudi citizens)?
Reply 7
Original post by 408655
What goes on in Saudi Arabia almost always has no relation to Islam and has nothing to do with the religion - it is the government of Saudi and the Saudi citizens who choose to live how they live

end of

next thread pls

It's Islam. Your denial does little to appease the suffering of these women and your callous disregard speaks volumes.
Reply 8
Original post by Palmyra
You seem to imply that the policies/laws of Saudi Arabia are dictated by democratic support (that is to say, supported by Saudi citizens)?

no

it's government + citizens
Original post by 408655
no

it's government + citizens

"[Saudi's policies/laws are supported by its] government + citizens"... this necessarily implies that they are supported by its citizens, which you said "no" to, so which is it?
Reply 10
Original post by macromicro
What do you think determines a "cultural thing"?

Well Saudi culture is misogynistic and even tho I'm not really Muslim, Quran says no compulsion in religion so arresting one for showing her hair, a pic actually (which is soo extreme) disregards your freedom imo. What do you think?:smile:
It's the law, directed by Islam - a religion last time I checked:

Keyword: law

The words of Riyadh's police force is not a revelation from their holy book. Rather a tradition they are struggling to preserve.

A simple test is to compare Saudi with another Muslim country. Do both countries dictate their female population to walk like ninjas? No?

Conclusion: its a Saudi problem.

Not a "peaceful muslim" problem.
Reply 12
Original post by Palmyra
"[Saudi's policies/laws are supported by its] government + citizens"... this necessarily implies that they are supported by its citizens, which you said "no" to, so which is it?

no you're mixing it all up

policies and laws are made by the government of course

what the citizens choose to do how however comes from their close minded attitudes, values and beliefs - they have terribly misinterpreted the rules and restrictions of the religion and somehow manage to believe that what they are doing is the right way to life

I know what it's like there and I've been there - but there is only so much I can say to convince you, maybe if you don't agree then just agree to disagree

sorry I have to cut it short, I'm super busy
Original post by Papaya24
Well Saudi culture is misogynistic and even tho I'm not really Muslim, Quran says no compulsion in religion so arresting one for showing her hair, a pic actually (which is soo extreme) disregards your freedom imo. What do you think?:smile:

The Quran does not say "no compulsion". It says neither compulsion nor no compulsion directly because - as with all theistic texts - everything is purposely vague. I agree it imposes on personal liberty.
Reply 14
[QUOTE="macromicro;69041584"]The Quran does not say "no compulsion". It says neither compulsion nor no compulsion directly because - as with all theistic texts - everything is purposely vague. I agree it imposes on personal liberty.[/QUOTE
Alright well either way it doesn't say arrest women for showing hair
Original post by 408655
no you're mixing it all up

policies and laws are made by the government of course

what the citizens choose to do how however comes from their close minded attitudes, values and beliefs - they have terribly misinterpreted the rules and restrictions of the religion and somehow manage to believe that what they are doing is the right way to life

I know what it's like there and I've been there - but there is only so much I can say to convince you, maybe if you don't agree then just agree to disagree

sorry I have to cut it short, I'm super busy

Your word salad completely fails to articulate any coherent or sensible point.
Reply 16
Original post by Palmyra
Your word salad completely fails to articulate any coherent or sensible point.

salad?
Original post by TaintedLight
Keyword: law

The words of Riyadh's police force is not a revelation from their holy book. Rather a tradition they are struggling to preserve.

A simple test is to compare Saudi with another Muslim country. Do both countries dictate their female population to walk like ninjas? No?

Conclusion: its a Saudi problem.

Not a "peaceful muslim" problem.

You said it had nothing to do with religion. The law is derived from Islam - a religion. The police are enforcing that law - a revelation from their holy book. I didn't say it wasn't a problem only in Saudi; I said it derived form their religion; a religion that is purposely vague for apologetic flexibility.
Well, what did she expect? If that's the law then that's the law. Laws are there to be obeyed whether we like it or not. By the way not everything associated with Muslims is bad except if you want to see it that way. Saudi Arabia is by far not the worst country to live in, even for women.
You said it had nothing to do with religion. The law is derived from Islam - a religion. The police are enforcing that law - a revelation from their holy book. I didn't say it wasn't a problem only in Saudi; I said it derived form their religion; a religion that is purposely vague for apologetic flexibility.

Wrong.

Deriving from Islam and Islam are not the same. The Sadi enforced its own tradition of preserving women like a household commodity and enshrined it as a law.

UAE (a muslim country) enforced its tradition of treating women... how UAE feels it should. And they enshrined the said tradition as law.
Mauritius (a muslim country) enforced its tradition of treating women... how Mauritius feels it should. And they enshrined the said tradition as law.

So we have two countries here with an Islamic governance, where women aren't being called for arrest when taking a selfie or its citizens calling for punishment. Are you praising Muslims here? You don't need to, it's uncalled for.

We also have one country, with an Islamic governance, where a women is being called for arrest for taking a selfie. Are you criticizing Muslims here? You don't need to, it's uncalled for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending