should i do an apprenticeship if i don't know what to do?

Watch
whatarethis
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey,

So I've done A-levels and don't really feel like i want to go to university. Mainly because theres no one subject i would happily spend 3 years/30grand studying and i don't want to live away from home.

I've been looking towards apprenticeships as another way to get some formal qualifications. However, because i currently have no idea what career I would enjoy/would like to do, I'm put off applying as I feel like it will restrict me to that industry for life? Especially since i wouldn't then have the degree to 'fall back on' in the future if i get horrendously fed up with being an accountant for example (one option I'm looking into).

Any advice for someone as indecisive as me??

I feel like my only other option would be just to get some basic job somewhere for a few years until I get a better idea of what career i want, but then I'm worried time out will make me less appealing to companies offering apprenticeships (that and ill be older than most applicants)

Help!
Remix59
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do a gap year and try and get some experience in different fields that might interest you?
whatarethis
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by mamly042)
Do a gap year and try and get some experience in different fields that might interest you?
I've done 2...and i still have no idea....
Mohammed1925
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Try volunteering perfect way to find out if you like a certain field or not . Plus it helps in the long run when applying for jobs .
kkboyk
Badges: 21
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by whatarethis)
I've done 2...and i still have no idea....
Have you tried doing work experience in different field? Have you picked at least one possible career sector to work in?

I felt the same as you, but ended up doing Maths since it's more versatile and that I like it (although I like 10 different other courses).
Mohammed1925
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes I chose three sectors when I left School , thought long and hard about it as sometimes in life things don't work pit and I was right. Originally my long term goal was a career in IT went to college studied it for two years and wasn't getting anywhere

then I had my second option which was working in a school done work experience and now I'm going to start my first apprenticeship soon.
QA Apprenticeships
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by whatarethis)
Hey,

So I've done A-levels and don't really feel like i want to go to university. Mainly because theres no one subject i would happily spend 3 years/30grand studying and i don't want to live away from home.

I've been looking towards apprenticeships as another way to get some formal qualifications. However, because i currently have no idea what career I would enjoy/would like to do, I'm put off applying as I feel like it will restrict me to that industry for life? Especially since i wouldn't then have the degree to 'fall back on' in the future if i get horrendously fed up with being an accountant for example (one option I'm looking into).

Any advice for someone as indecisive as me??

I feel like my only other option would be just to get some basic job somewhere for a few years until I get a better idea of what career i want, but then I'm worried time out will make me less appealing to companies offering apprenticeships (that and ill be older than most applicants)

Help!
Hi!

I can see that you are looking into University alternative career options. I was in the same boat 2 years ago when deciding what to do after sixth form as I wanted to further my studies but didn’t want the huge amount of uni debt that came with it.

As an apprentice grad I know first hand what it's like to do an apprenticeship and even though I knew what career I wanted to go into, the skills and knowledge that I have learnt in my apprenticeship are not limited to one industry as they can be translated across any job, which is one of the things I love most about my apprenticeship!

If you are worried about not obtaining a degree, there's no need to panic, apprenticeships also have degree opportunities which are all debt-free but knowledge filled. The best thing about it is that if you aren't enjoying the course or want to choose another apprenticeship to broaden your skills set, you can step off at any point because you're not tied into anything!

I am happy to help answer any questions you may have about apprenticeships to help you make the right career choice so, drop us a message on our profile if you'd like to have a chat or reply to our message on this thread.

Amrit
Unrare786
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I am in in 11 and am considering an apprenticeship as I don’t think a level is for me I just want to work and learn sklills.only problem is that I don’t know exactly what I want to do and when you don’t know what to do after high school ppl normally say don’t do apprenticeship but u just said there that u can change and stuff which is why I was wondering what were u doing as an apprentice? I am reattach curious pls reply or email
selena001
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
An apprenticeship allows you to acquire valuable skills and experience in your chosen sector, which improves your CV and employability when you've finished training. You'll learn in the work environment, developing the practical skills and understanding you need to excel in your role.
Last edited by selena001; 2 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (172)
55.84%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (44)
14.29%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (34)
11.04%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (27)
8.77%
I haven't started researching yet (17)
5.52%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (14)
4.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed