Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenna999)
    Don't be so pessimistic, I know plenty of couples that have stayed together.
    So do I, but bear in mind I am not just talking about lasting the 1st term, or the 1st year. I am talking about lasting until you both graduate. That is a long time for any relationship, whether at Uni or not.

There's no reason why it wouldn't work if you wanted it enough.
    Again I agree with you, but there are lots of people who obviously don't "want it enough". A very good friend of mine from home has been going out with his gf for just under 3 years now. He is just going into his 2nd year at Uni, and she is just going into her 3rd. They are both at the same uni, and are still together.

On the other hand, I know a couple that met at Uni, decided to share a room in a house for years 2 and 3, and after signing contracts have split up. They are still living together, as they have no other financial choice, but don't speak with each other even though they are still sharing a room.

Yes it can work, but there are many people who do not put in the effort needed to make it work, which is in my opinion sad.

(Original post by dave134)
    To all those couples off to Uni I wish you the best of luck, but this very issue sparked some controversy at Durham last year.

An Officer of the student union, advised everybody to break off their relationships before becoming a student, in a post on the Durham Student Union message boards (he posted as an officer not using his personal login), as they almost never work out. There was a formal complaint against him (from an ex gf I may add), but the Officer was cleared of all wrongdoing, simply because what he stated was unfortunately all too true.

I do know of a few couples that have stayed together, but I know of many many more that have not. The saddest thing to see is when a good friend has been avoiding temptation all term and doing their absolute best to remain faithful, only to find their gf/bf jumped straight into bed with the first person they met.

It may very well work out for you, but people do change quite a bit at university. Many of you may have been going out since you were 16/17. If you stay together then you are looking at being 21/22 and have been in one relationship for 5 years. That is getting to the point when parents will be hinting about marriage!
    well considering we have been together for over 3 years anyway it is pretty scary to think about it lasting the whole way through uni too!!

i don't think the fact that we don't see each other that often will be a big problem, we don't see each other every week nevermind every day like some people i know.. but fingers crossed!

ReputationRep:
    my boyfriend and i have been together since november and sadly, when i go to uni in october i will have to leave him behind. before him i had a whole series of very messy experiences and figured i would continue to attract 'bad lads' for life. but since meeting my current bopyfriend i've never been happier. however, he is the jealous type and i'm not sure my being faithful will be enough if he thinks i'm off meeting new blokes all the time. we both desperately want a future together and...sudden as it may sound...do want to spend the rest of our lives together. some people say that if its true love it'll last but maybe bein apart could ruin the chance of two people spending the rest of their lives together.

does anyone have any thoughts on this? if you're not in love please don't be too cynical because a broken heart (according to recent medical reserch) can be as painful as a broken leg.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=dave134]
    I do know of a few couples that have stayed together, but I know of many many more that have not. [QUOTE]

Yeah fair enough, but i think that's true of anyone aged 18-21, not just people in long-distance relationships at uni. I have to say though, I know more people who have stayed with their partners from home for a longer length of time than have stayed with people they've met at university. I don;t think the distance is a bad thing.

ReputationRep:
    me and my bf have been together 6 months and he's going to lancaster and i'm going to dundee. we're kinda avoiding talking about it (too many of our friends split up in feb/march when they talked about it too early), but i think the unspoken agreement between us is that we're going to give it a go. yes, it might not work, but it might and i couldn't give up on him without attempting it.

lou xxx

(Original post by lou p lou)
    me and my bf have been together 6 months and he's going to lancaster and i'm going to dundee. we're kinda avoiding talking about it (too many of our friends split up in feb/march when they talked about it too early), but i think the unspoken agreement between us is that we're going to give it a go. yes, it might not work, but it might and i couldn't give up on him without attempting it.

lou xxx
    yeh i have tried to avoid the issue for aslong as possible..well i didnt see the point in wasting time together with upset and arguements!!

ReputationRep:
    Don't be so pessimistic, I know plenty of couples that have stayed together. There's no reason why it wouldn't work if you wanted it enough.
    I know of some who have stayed together, but lots more who split up, some happily, some in quite messy circumstances. It's not just the cheating aspect, being apart and developing new lives can change people and put strains on a relationship that would not otherwise have become apparent until much later.

Good luck to everyone going to uni whilst in a relationship, work at it but don't expect miracles. If it does work, great; if not, this is the perfect time for meeting new people and starting new things

ReputationRep:
    Have to say, out of all of my friends who went to uni with boyfriends/girlfriends, all have them have ended badly, sometimes spectacularly.

However, I am from essex, and we are all ****s and manwhores down here, so perhaps best to ignore what I've said

ReputationRep:
    That is the hard thing... when to bring it up. My g/f and I haven't mentioned it, I expect she feels the same way as me, afraid to bring it up incase we end up breaking up there and then!

ReputationRep:
    Forget your partner, you are going to be cheating simple as!

ReputationRep:
    Me and my gf are gonna give it ago. Its weird as I always imagined myself to be single for the start of Uni and now everythings been turned around..Im not too hopeful of it working at the moment though, Ill be 6 hours away from her for 32 weeks of the year And 2 hours for 20 weeks of the year !

ReputationRep:
    My bf+i have been together for 3yrs now + despite the fact that there are only 9 months between us in age, there is a difference of 2 years between us in school years (work that 1 out!) Nevertheless, we intend to go to Uni together in Sept. 2005, after I've finished school. Initially, I was quite concerned at how our peers would view us and that our relationship may be ridiculed (by people such as the Durham Officer) as being nothing more than another teenage romance. However,having spoken to my Form Teacher, she reassured me that it's alll a matter of personal choice, whatever the individuals wish to do and was very supportive. At the moment, we live only 5 mins away from eachother anyway and are best friends. I have no doubts about this continuing on into our lives at university. I view our relationship as a support network rather than a hindrance to our academic achievements and owe a lot to my bf for being patient and waiting for me this next yr and that which has just passed.
    Excuse the soppiness of this account.
    Squid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squideye)
    My bf+i have been together for 3yrs now + despite the fact that there are only 9 months between us in age, there is a difference of 2 years between us in school years (work that 1 out!) Nevertheless, we intend to go to Uni together in Sept. 2005, after I've finished school. Initially, I was quite concerned at how our peers would view us and that our relationship may be ridiculed (by people such as the Durham Officer) as being nothing more than another teenage romance. However,having spoken to my Form Teacher, she reassured me that it's alll a matter of personal choice, whatever the individuals wish to do and was very supportive. At the moment, we live only 5 mins away from eachother anyway and are best friends. I have no doubts about this continuing on into our lives at university. I view our relationship as a support network rather than a hindrance to our academic achievements and owe a lot to my bf for being patient and waiting for me this next yr and that which has just passed.
    Excuse the soppiness of this account.
    Squid.
    I don't think that's soppy! It is a matter of individual choice and really depends on the kind of experiences you've already had as a couple: yes, if its just another run of the mill teenage relationship rather than something more enduring and meaningful, it probably will fail. You have to consider which category the relationship falls into, and whether you are willing to invest the time and effort to keep it alive.

Personally, my boyfriend is going to York (better not be St Andrews or else I'll kill him!), while I should be in Exeter (and in the US for the second year) and we have decided to give a long term relationship a go. He's currently away for 7 weeks, so I'm considering this good practice for the coming year and I actually do feel that the old cliche 'absence makes the heart grow fonder' has proven correct. Unlike many couples, we have spent a good deal of time apart, so in some ways we have already adjusted.

What I'm more concerned about, rather than him cheating on me (more likely that I'd be the one to do that ), is whether he and I will change so much that we won't have anything in common anymore and will meet each other like indifferent friends. There really has to be a balance between maintaining common interests and yet, having a life of one's own, so that you don't feel emotionally dependent on the other.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.