Postgraduate degree in Development Studies

Watch
sarahgrad
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone on here is thinking of/already is studying Development Studies or something similar at SOAS/Institute of Development Studies/LSE? I'm hoping to apply for Sept 2017 entry and it would be nice to talk to people who are in the same boat as I have a few questions.

Thank you!
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Can the uni put you in touch with current or former students? Can you visit?
Autumn_Spring
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by sarahgrad)
Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone on here is thinking of/already is studying Development Studies or something similar at SOAS/Institute of Development Studies/LSE? I'm hoping to apply for Sept 2017 entry and it would be nice to talk to people who are in the same boat as I have a few questions.

Thank you!
I am applying for 2017 entry as well in Development studies and similar courses. Glad to find someone with similar interest
Caribguy12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Approximately one month ago, I applied to a few schools for international development.

LSE - MSc. Development Management
SOAS - MSc. Development Studies

Both are under review. However, I am assuming that SOAS will be get back any day now. It has almost been 5 weeks.
sarahgrad
Rep:
?
(Original post by Caribguy12)
Approximately one month ago, I applied to a few schools for international development.

LSE - MSc. Development Management
SOAS - MSc. Development Studies

Both are under review. However, I am assuming that SOAS will be get back any day now. It has almost been 5 weeks.
Hi,

What sort of experience do you have? Going to apply anyway but just wondering if I'm qualified enough!
Caribguy12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
About 1.5 years of work experience since graduation. I work in the Latin America region though. I have done 3 internships while I was in school. 2 are relevant 1 is not. Strong grades in the latter part of my degree; rocky start. Heavy student involvement. No formal research experience. Strong references and a unique personal statement EXCEPT I made a really really really stupid mistake in the first sentence of my SOAS letter. I only realized after I submitted it.
Caribguy12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I got an offer from SOAS MSc Development Studies this morning!
Autumn_Spring
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I got a conditional offer from LSE for Dev. Mgt. a few days ago as well... but i am still applying for other schools since LSE is unlikely to offer me any form of financial aid..
sarahgrad
Rep:
?
(Original post by Caribguy12)
I got an offer from SOAS MSc Development Studies this morning!
Congratulations! Any application tips? What did you include in your personal statement?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (159)
15.71%
Uncertainty around my education (164)
16.21%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (96)
9.49%
Isolating with family (70)
6.92%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (37)
3.66%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (89)
8.79%
Loneliness (100)
9.88%
Financial worries (45)
4.45%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (92)
9.09%
Exposure to negative news/social media (71)
7.02%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (89)
8.79%

Watched Threads