Is a career in the civil service my best choice?

Watch
TitanCream
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello all. I am currently an UG student at a top ten university studying Classical Civilisation. I love politics but decided to do CC to mix things up and learn more things. My original plan was to work in the classics, but I realise now that my true true passion is politics and so I have decided to aim for this. I applied for the EDIP, just waiting for a response and I have also volunteered/canvassed in the past. Ideally I'd be an MP but any role in politics is for me, I understand however that the CS is incredibly tough to get into but, assuming it works well, should I go for it?

Thanks!
jay191
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TitanCream)
Hello all. I am currently an UG student at a top ten university studying Classical Civilisation. I love politics but decided to do CC to mix things up and learn more things. My original plan was to work in the classics, but I realise now that my true true passion is politics and so I have decided to aim for this. I applied for the EDIP, just waiting for a response and I have also volunteered/canvassed in the past. Ideally I'd be an MP but any role in politics is for me, I understand however that the CS is incredibly tough to get into but, assuming it works well, should I go for it?

Thanks!
Have a read of the Civil Service Management Code - Section 4.4 Conduct: Political Activities. That should give you a good starting point of how the relationship between the civil service and politics.
Michiyo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jay191)
Have a read of the Civil Service Management Code - Section 4.4 Conduct: Political Activities. That should give you a good starting point of how the relationship between the civil service and politics.
Sorry to butt in uninvited, but if I remember correctly, civil servants are not allowed to take part in any political activity since they need to be politically neutral, right?

OP, if I am right, you have to decide between a political career and a civil service career since you cannot do both.
jay191
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Michiyo)
Sorry to butt in uninvited, but if I remember correctly, civil servants are not allowed to take part in any political activity since they need to be politically neutral, right?

OP, if I am right, you have to decide between a political career and a civil service career since you cannot do both.
Not necessarily. Most civil servants will need to obtain permission first unless they are in the "politically free" group. Section 4.4 explains it in more depth. However all civil servants are required to serve/work for the government/ministers regardless of which political party is in power.
TitanCream
Rep:
?
I have no problems with being neutral, my views are pretty 'open' regardless. It would be far more interesting to challenge many ideas than just one ideological branch!
Mimma
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A career in the Civil Service doesn't sound like a thing suitable for a somewhat idealistic and ambitious classics student.

I think that an internship for an MP/think tank would be far more interesting for someone with political ambitions. Take a look here:

http://www.w4mpjobs.org/
TitanCream
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mimma)
A career in the Civil Service doesn't sound like a thing suitable for a somewhat idealistic and ambitious classics student.

I think that an internship for an MP/think tank would be far more interesting for someone with political ambitions. Take a look here:

http://www.w4mpjobs.org/
Thank you for suggesting this. My only worry is how difficult it may be to break into the field. And if it counts, I attended and have met senior workers who told me that *any* degree can get you into the CS.

Special thanks to you Mimma, some of the unpaid work on offer is amazing!
MagicNMedicine
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes if you enjoy politics and government it is a rewarding career. A classics degree is fine. Go for it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (76)
17.84%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (123)
28.87%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (160)
37.56%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (54)
12.68%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (13)
3.05%

Watched Threads