Choosing Maths at A-Level with a B at GCSE... Watch

Top_Gear
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
...do you think its a wise move??

Would it be possible to get a good grade?

Thanks
dh00001
Badges: 14
Report 12 years ago
yes it would. put the work in and you could do well regardless of previous results.
Jez_Jez
Report 12 years ago
Yes, I am doing exactly the same. If you work hard enough, and providing that the teaching is good, there is no reason you can't get a good mark.
MathematicalMind
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
At least go to a lesson and see how you find it, if you can't cope (which I doubt) you can always drop it
MSNBOY
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I got a B at intermidiate GCSE and this year I got a C at AS Level , which exteremly happy about.

I did find it a huge jump from GCSE and i had trouble with C1 , but then after that i found C2 and Stats pretty straight forwards.
02mik_e
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i also got a B at GCSE Level. Is it a subject at AS/A-level which is hard to get a grip of? For example at GCSE i revised and got all of what i revised, but at AS/A- level is it a subject where you just revise and you still can't get a top grade?
sugar_cane
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You revise but the idea with maths is that you practice questions so that you get the hang of using the techniques that you've learnt.
So here it's not a case of learning how to do a question, but being able to answer a variety of questions with the knowledge learnt!
You can get the top grade with the right effort!
02mik_e
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by sugar_cane)
You revise but the idea with maths is that you practice questions so that you get the nag of using the techniques that you've learnt.
So here it's not a cae of learning how to do a question, but being able to answer a variety of questions with the knowledge learnt!
You can get the top grade with the right effort!
i know that is the cache with maths, If you can get the hang of it, it is the most easiest subject, but if you struggle to get it, it's the worse subject in the world.
Horrorshow
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
In all honesty you will struggle a bit probably. Of course you can try to work as hard as possible, but that will only get you so far. You need an aptitude to pick new ideas and concepts, and to use them in the right places.
kasey3000
Report 12 years ago
I got a B in maths at intermediate level....i'm thinking of doing maths or psychology as a 4th as-level....but i'm not sure if maths will be too hard as i only did it at intermediate at gcse? i was very good with the algebra bit like the equations and trig and stuff like that, does that come up a lot in the AS level? I think my college uses aqa but i'm not sure, is there a huge amount of difference within the specs? Thanks, kasey.
mit
Report 12 years ago
Well, maths is no difficult at all. if you are not confidence or afraid that it will take lots of your time (like me) then just choose single maths. believe me, single maths is very easy. you won't have to revise or do a lot of homework.
mickjoe18
Report 12 years ago
I got a B at GCSE and a U at AS. Maths became far too complex for me and i really should have stopped at GCSE. I struggled constantly all year and therefore i put no effort into it because i didn't really care.

It totally depends on your ability and if you have the confidence and patience with maths, you'll be fine
bruisepristine
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I got an A at GCSE and C at AS, although nobody in our class did well (1 B and no higher I believe) so the teaching can partly be blamed. I definitely put a lot of work in, I just struggled immensely and grew to hate it (and my teachers). I'm sure it can be done, but I found it ridiculously hard.
city_chic
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I got an A in Maths GCSE but I know I would have died and failed doing it at AS. Did you try your very best and get a B or didn't you really put much work in for it? If it's the first, then think very carefully about it.
Nufc
Report 12 years ago
If you've only done the intermediate at GCSE you'll find it hard because other people in the class will be familar with some things in c1 already, it takes a lot of work but it can be done
arpeggio
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It depends on what grade you're hoping to get at A Level, how hard you worked to get a B, whether that was on the intermediate/higher tier, whether you enjoy Maths... loads of things really! By all means go for it, but be prepared to spend a lot of time practising and working hard. If you enjoy it then you'll probably be alright though.
threepiecesuit
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
A lot of people finds maths A-Level to be hard. To be honest, I would not recommend you take it with a B at GCSE unless it will be crucial to any future university offer - I know someone who did it with a B at GCSE, and she really struggled with it, having to resit numerous times just to scrape a C. Similarly I know someone who got an A at GCSE then went down to a C at the end of A2 (due to a particularly hard module out of the three, I'm told). Not a walk in the park.
RocketTown
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by xemmajanex)
It depends on what grade you're hoping to get at A Level, how hard you worked to get a B, whether that was on the intermediate/higher tier, whether you enjoy Maths... loads of things really! By all means go for it, but be prepared to spend a lot of time practising and working hard. If you enjoy it then you'll probably be alright though.

I agree with all of this, but especially the bit i've highlighted. They are all questions you need to ask yourself. I got a B at GCSE and i'm finding Alevel alright. oh, and to top it off, i'm doing these alevels after i decided to change the degree i was studying so i'm 21, therefore had a 4/5 year gap doing no maths whatsoever so remembered pretty much nothing from gcse. and when i did my first maths exam last january (C1) i got full marks. i definatly think it comes down to how much effort your willing to put in. But to go back to the bold bit i quoted, if you struggled to get the B (meaning you pushed yourself to the limit) then just be realistic about what you hope to achieve at Alevel.
*Tears and Butterflies*
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hmm..I got an A at GSCE with almost no effort and resignation to failure, but I'm now considering taking it to AS but still think I will fail i think my teachers are rubbish, so i'll just have to work super hard or go to a different college.
okfaye!
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I got a B at gcse and just about got an E at as level.
I really should have dropped it at xmas, it appears me and maths are like chalk and cheese.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (121)
65.05%
No I haven't decided yet (39)
20.97%
Yes but I might change my mind (26)
13.98%

Watched Threads