The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Reply 1
I think average for universities is 1mbit...
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Reply 2
It goes between about 6-7Mbps and non existant. An average would be about 2-3Mbps. Very few outages throughout the year last year, however browsing got a little slow during parts of the year, however they've since upgraded their back end stuff so it should be a bit more consistent this year.
Reply 3
By the time term starts, the new 1Gbit (1000mbit) link should be in operation to JAnet.
But, that's shared between the whole university, and the academic network gets priority (ie Schools of study) over the residential network.

In Nelson Court 2 years ago, I could nearly allways max out my allocation of ~8mbit; and in labs it was as fast as the network card in the machine.
Reply 4
Hey

Sorry to bring back an old thread, not sure if it is better than starting a new one?

Do they block bittorent at the campus?

Thanks Ben
Reply 5
It's not blocked, but expect to take a trip to the helpdesk after your connection gets cut off for using it. The only thing which is activly blocked is WoW, apparently.
Reply 6
So if I used full enycription do you think they could tell?

Well the amout of traffic would be a lot it would just be traffic that no one could tell waht it is :P I think ATM I download 2GBs a day or something, that can't be much more than some bother users using legal sites.

If I started downloading legal things through bittorent to test I guess, cause I am sure they could give me a warning at most for that?
Reply 7
If you tunnelled it to a remote host through SSH you'd probably be alright, but any normal encryption would look really suspicious on the logging system.

I'd doubt they'd distinguish between legal traffic, considering one of the t&c of the janet connection is that you can't run a server/upload data to others.
Reply 8
I've heard that's changed recently to allow legal P2P uses, however I'd email IS to confirm before trying it to avoid ending up with a fine.
Reply 9
Hmm ye, when I first started looking at unis I was like ooo 100mb/s internet that will be great for downloading erm files :P but it seems they are a bit strict. Better than Aston my other choice though where they suggest you can't even get 512k :frown:

but I may set up a shh server at home (well I already have a server) and dowload files to that and then I can access them on the campus hopefully...
Reply 10
Phil.
I've heard that's changed recently to allow legal P2P uses, however I'd email IS to confirm before trying it to avoid ending up with a fine.
hmm ok if I go there I will do that, if I send an email before I go that may be abit strange and I probs should not base my univeristy choice on where I am going to get the best ratios and fasters downloads on p2p networks :biggrin:
Reply 11
No point encrypting, using proxies and all that crap to download via bittorrent. Too much effort. They don't monitor direct transfers such as with mIRC or ftps. And you get almost everything on the torrent sites via mIRC afterall, that's where it all happened before the bittorrent boom.

Speed-wise, I tended to usually get around 150-300kb/s and rarely did i hit the 600kb/s. That said, the university throttled my speeds at times and found that if I was a good boy for a while the speed rose up again.

And ya, p2p = no.
Reply 12
How does mIRC work?

I am not sure I can get just about anything in the world on torrent sites :P
Reply 13
mIRC is initially a chat program, where there are multiple servers supplying different needs etc. Some of these servers are for things other than chat. There, there are xdcc bots or fservs(but thats more complicated), and they list what they have. You type in a trigger and you're either put in queue or the bot sends you the file directly.
Reply 14
okay so as COMPLETE technophobe i did not understand anything you guys have sad
would i be able to use limewire or azureus here? (sorry if that question has been asked, i couldn't tell)
Reply 15
You won't, no.
Reply 16
thank you :smile:
Reply 17
The basic rule of using on-campus internet is that if it's of questionable legality, don't do it :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending