The Student Room Group

Will Universities be suspicious?

I'm almost finished with my UCAS application, but I'm really worried that Universities will look at my past grades and reject me.

See, I was predicted A*s throughout secondary but got lazy and became a straight B student. What's more, during my AS year my mental state (that had been deteriorating for years) was the worst it's ever been and I know it's no excuse, but it's hard studying for exams or turning up to lessons when you don't want to exist anymore.

So I failed my exams (D,E,U - I didn't even do the second History paper) but my college let me back because of my D.

I'm now seeing someone about my mental health and I am getting better. I'm getting As and Bs throughout all my practice exams and essays, and I KNOW I can get straight As or at least AAB. My predicted grades (not based off of last year) are AAB right now.

But wouldn't this seem suspicious to Universities? I'm worried that Uni's who require higher entry grades won't consider my application because they think my predicted grades are wrong or something.
Original post by Hannah_Vi
I'm almost finished with my UCAS application, but I'm really worried that Universities will look at my past grades and reject me.

See, I was predicted A*s throughout secondary but got lazy and became a straight B student. What's more, during my AS year my mental state (that had been deteriorating for years) was the worst it's ever been and I know it's no excuse, but it's hard studying for exams or turning up to lessons when you don't want to exist anymore.

So I failed my exams (D,E,U - I didn't even do the second History paper) but my college let me back because of my D.

I'm now seeing someone about my mental health and I am getting better. I'm getting As and Bs throughout all my practice exams and essays, and I KNOW I can get straight As or at least AAB. My predicted grades (not based off of last year) are AAB right now.

But wouldn't this seem suspicious to Universities? I'm worried that Uni's who require higher entry grades won't consider my application because they think my predicted grades are wrong or something.

Honestly yes they probably would, it's a major jump from your as grades and extenuating circumstances only help so much,I think you may need to take a gap year. There's no harm in trying though I suppose.
Original post by Hannah_Vi

Your reference needs to explain about how your mental health affected your AS grades and why they are predicting those grades.
Look up the UCAS adjustment then work as hard as you can, get great grades and trade up on results day. It's would be very, very unusual for a student to be able to pull off AAB with DEU at AS.

If you don't get any offers then you can go through Extra.

There is no harm in contacting the Universities now for some general advice on whether they take AS proformance into account or base their offers purely on predicted grades.

Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending