Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is it necessary to have Alevel maths to receive an offer for this degree? I was thinking of applying here, but although received an A* for maths GCSE, do not want to continue it at Alevel. Do I still stand a chance of being accepted?

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know, Durham's Economics department does not require A level maths, but you may find it difficult without maths. You'll have to work hard at the maths related modules.

Check the prospectus, it may have changed since I applied.

ReputationRep:
    "We have a preference for applicants with AS-level Mathematics, which we will exercise when making decisions on applications. If you have not taken Mathematics beyond GCSE level you will need to have obtained at least a grade A in this subject at GCSE and be prepared to develop further your Mathematical knowledge, skills and understanding."

http://www.dur.ac.uk/economics.finan...am/entry-reqs/

ReputationRep:
    Yep, as I thought. It may affect whether or not you get an offer, but if you're an outstanding candidate then I guess they'll be more lenient.

ReputationRep:
    I have an A at AS Maths (dropped it for A2) and got into PPE fine. Oxford prefer the A2, but most places are more lenient about it.

Like a lot of things, it helps, but it's not necessary.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, if you don't like maths, or aren't very good at it, then Economics probably isn't the best subject to take.

It's taught as heavily mathematical.

If you don't learn it now, you'll have to learn it later.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for your help everyone

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.