desperate for some advice Watch

the wolf at the door
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
i'm really stuck.

Just finished college and thought i'd take a year out and then go to Uni.

I definitely want to go to Uni but i'm uncertain as to what to take. I enjoy psychology, especially learning about anxiety disorders as i myself suffer from social anxiety (slightly). But, i would also like to do something which can help society. For example, helping teens on council estates or prisoners who have come out of prison. And another part of me thinks i'd like to do something with the environment. Perhaps a gardener or a park ranger.

So now i'm also not sure whether to stay at college for a third year. If i do i could quite also get a grade higher on each grade i currently have by re-taking one exam of each. I could also re-take another 1 year course. But then again, i could make a bit of money working full time.

At A level i got:

B - Psychology
B - Sociology
D - ICT

Any advice or ideas will be really appreciated.
LeedsLad
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Why not go and do some form of work related to your interests for a year and that might help you decide ..
Sianne
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Social Work! I agree with ^ You should definitely do some work, either paid or voluntary, to find out what you'd prefer to do.
fluffypinkgoat
Report 11 years ago
I would try and do some voluntary (or paid if you're fortunate enough!) work related to helping people or the environment in the areas you want to help with. You could even spend a few months doing one thing, then another few months doing another, to help you chose what you want to do. I think that would be seen as a more positive thing to do employment and uni wise than to re-take exams or take up an extra course.
LeedsLad
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
How about Camp USA where you can work with people from under privilaged backgrounds
upagumtree
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Consider going to uni and doing a combined degree in psychology and sociology.That way you can learn about disorders and stuff and also about society.Having these two subjects under your belt would really open up a lot of doors.You can also get owrk experience in a prison if you do psychology.

Off topic,but Leedslad I like the avatar

"I need to obtain you sort code,and account number,sir"
the wolf at the door
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by upagumtree)
Consider going to uni and doing a combined degree in psychology and sociology.That way you can learn about disorders and stuff and also about society.Having these two subjects under your belt would really open up a lot of doors.You can also get owrk experience in a prison if you do psychology.

aren't joint honors, especially in psychology and sociology, frowned upon by employers. Well, seen as a 'mickey mouse' subject?
LeedsLad
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by upagumtree)

Chuckle

"hello sah I need to transfer 8000 Ugandan dollar to your account"

"fook off"

brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (116)
80.56%
Leave (28)
19.44%

Watched Threads