The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I haven't done it yet but booked onto the MSAG course in jan:smile:
Original post by Pantego
I haven't done it yet but booked onto the MSAG course in jan:smile:

Thinking about booking onto the MSAG course too. When did you book yours for? Have you spoken to people who've given good feedback?
I went to the MSAG course in November! It is quite useful in terms of the information they provide and the talks about different topics, and they make you answer questions in front of the group so you get used to being under pressure, but I personally felt the MMI practice circuit itself felt kinda rushed as it wasn't really amazingly organised but the feedback from (some) stations was pretty useful :smile:)

I'm thinking of doing a medic portal one to get more MMI practice but my school is also organising practice so I'm not sure, has anyone done the medic portal course?
Original post by Uni12345678
I went to the MSAG course in November! It is quite useful in terms of the information they provide and the talks about different topics, and they make you answer questions in front of the group so you get used to being under pressure, but I personally felt the MMI practice circuit itself felt kinda rushed as it wasn't really amazingly organised but the feedback from (some) stations was pretty useful :smile:)

I'm thinking of doing a medic portal one to get more MMI practice but my school is also organising practice so I'm not sure, has anyone done the medic portal course?

Thanks for that! In terms of the MMI circuit, do you remember how many questions you got in the circuit and how long it was per station?
Original post by safmaster
Thanks for that! In terms of the MMI circuit, do you remember how many questions you got in the circuit and how long it was per station?

There were 8 stations, 5 of them were interview stations and 3 were role play/written questions/group task. I think it was about 2-3 minutes at each station and then 2-3 minutes again around each station for them to give you feedback. Got a variable no. Of questions at each station depending on the style of the station e.g. Personal statement/ medical ethics/ etc
Original post by Uni12345678
There were 8 stations, 5 of them were interview stations and 3 were role play/written questions/group task. I think it was about 2-3 minutes at each station and then 2-3 minutes again around each station for them to give you feedback. Got a variable no. Of questions at each station depending on the style of the station e.g. Personal statement/ medical ethics/ etc

Thank you for this info! I just went through a terrible experience with The Medic Portal. I was about to also book their MMI prep as well but now, not a chance. I am looking for alternatives and so far the msag course looks like it has helped a lot of people.

Uni12345678, can you please tell us your feedback now that you are (hopefully) in medical school?
Original post by Bernard Albert
Thank you for this info! I just went through a terrible experience with The Medic Portal. I was about to also book their MMI prep as well but now, not a chance. I am looking for alternatives and so far the msag course looks like it has helped a lot of people.

Uni12345678, can you please tell us your feedback now that you are (hopefully) in medical school?

Hi, that's unfortunate that you went through a terrible experience with the medic portal, but yeah I think MSAG was alright, I am in med school now but tbh I think in the end it comes down to your own preparation and work ethic, yes the courses provide a kind of reassurance and provide you with resources and tips but it will eventually come down to how much work you put in. In hindsight, what I remember from my interview prep isn't the courses, it's the time I spent in my room reading sample answers, and practicing saying answers out loud.

Hope this helps, and if you have any more questions feel free to contact me :smile:
Reply 8
Conquer Medicine run an MMI Crash course in Leeds thats cheaper than all the others and is a full day, lectures and a full mmi circuit plus you get support from their team afterwards too. Deffo worth checking out :smile:
yesss i've heard the conquer medicine one running in Leeds is really good, I'm going next weekend if anyone wants to join? There's a group discount!
I Just went to a course at MedDentPrep, and I can honestly say it was far better than I expected, the offered great advice and gave me every scenario that could possibly come up. We went through mock MMI's together and I hear they even offer personal statement help !!! I feel so ready for these interviews, I already can't wait to start dentistry !! highly recommend them to all
Reply 11
Original post by Cameron1998
I Just went to a course at MedDentPrep, and I can honestly say it was far better than I expected, the offered great advice and gave me every scenario that could possibly come up. We went through mock MMI's together and I hear they even offer personal statement help !!! I feel so ready for these interviews, I already can't wait to start dentistry !! highly recommend them to all

Oh yes! I totally agree! I regret not getting their advice on my personal statement now as i didnt know they offerd help with that, but oh well too late lol.
Btw what day did u go?
Original post by Qh1999
Oh yes! I totally agree! I regret not getting their advice on my personal statement now as i didnt know they offerd help with that, but oh well too late lol.
Btw what day did u go?

oh no !!! you seriously missed out on the personal statement help.... hopefully you will still get in though !!
I went in October lol wbu??
oh no !!! you seriously missed out on the personal statement help.... hopefully you will still get in though !!
I went in October lol wbu??

My interview is comming up in january but im really stressing about MMI is the course worth it?
Original post by TMG235
I only have 1 interview this far, but 1 is better than none. Has anyone done any courses online / in person that they thought were good? I have no idea what to expect for this interview

Our course has everything you need for MMI interviews, including mock interview circuits involving videos of candidates.

www.youtube.com/medicmind

Check out our free videos.

Kunal - Medic Mind
Voted UK's Best Medical Start Up 2017 🏆
www.medicmind.co.uk/interview
Original post by Chris_fegis01
My interview is comming up in january but im really stressing about MMI is the course worth it?

Here are some tips for the MMI Interview. I recommend our 1 to 1 mentoring scheme www.medicmind.co.uk/interview

Attributes - what will help you here is a variety of experience, teamwork, leadership, community contributions and also very importantly leisure hobbies! Make sure you don't do things for the sake of doing them, interviewers love it when you can talk passionately about something. Think of specific situations within each activity which is a direct representation of the skill being assessed.

Work experience - in MMI the question is likely to be very ambiguous, instead of requiring lots of prompts your answer to a question involving work experience (unless it's a directly closed question) should cover a lot of ground; what did you see (mention attributes in the team), what did you like, what surprised you, what you didn't like and anything interesting you saw.

Role play - seems scary, really isn't! Be yourself, looking back I was probably a little nervous, but got into it in the end, literally speak to them like your friend but in a professional manner, dentists do make jokes and as long as they are appropriate there is no reason why you cannot include one if you read the situation as appropriate to do so! They want to see you are human and can communicate well, so eye contact, coherent speaking and listening are important, don't answer what you want to answer, answer what is asked, this can be really fun so enjoy it!

Kunal - Medic Mind

Good luck for your MMI Interview. If you want some extra affordable help for £30, check out www.medicmind.co.uk/interview-online-course

Ethics - always show both sides of the argument but make sure you clearly stand on one side of the fence, a good argument has your point introduced at the beginning and justified upon, you should include a counter argument but then prove how your argument in your view is better and conclude. People tend to want to show both sides as it is a good skill, but not settle on one side, a good argument is a clear argument. You cannot usually be wrong in an ethical scenario, however your answer should reflect obligations dentists have as set out by the GDC - Fitness to Practise, recommended reading! When giving your argument some interviewers may act surprised, this is fine (as long as what you are saying isn't weird or unprofessional), they are testing you, stand a firm ground, as long as you are being professional and considering both sides before reaching your judgement, there is nothing to worry about. In terms of ethical scenarios it's hard to give advice as scenarios can be so different, but think about everyone's interests, the wider dental team is so important, many people concentrate on just dentist and the patient, think about the nurse, practice staff, hygienist, technician, the rest of your patients and how dentists are viewed as a group.

MMI interviews usually take a lot longer than a traditional interview, this can be good and bad, good as you go around you become more relaxed and are able to get rid of initial nerves, but bad because of the risk of becoming complacent! Honestly it will be one of the quickest hours you will ever remember and be over in a tick!

Kunal - Medic Mind
Original post by Bernard Albert

Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with Medic Portal.

Take a risk free solution with our FREE Youtube Videos, and if you do like it check out our £30 online course - so affordable you can't really go wrong!

www.youtube.com/medicmind

Kunal - Medic Mind
Original post by Chris_fegis01

The course honestly makes you feel really confident about the interviews. Genuinely it's quite cheap and the amount of info they tell you on every possible station of MMI's is amazing. Definitely recommend it
Reply 19
Hi, I am looking for some honest advice. Which MMI course would be recommend for dentsirty? I am deciding between the Kaplan, Medic Portal and Fast Track to Denstisty courses. Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated.