The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

History at Durham - year in the US?

Does anyone know if Durham offers the option of studying US history in the US for 1 year? I can't seem to find much detail on the website about the courses or the option of studying abroad, any ideas where I might be able to find out more?

Oh and sorry for starting a new thread for this but as it's a fairly specific question and I didn't find any like it via the search function.

Thanks.
Reply 1
It does. I can take a photo of the two relevant pages in the preliminary honours handbook if you want, but it'll have to wait until tomorrow.:smile:

A brief summary is as follows:

There is one place available at the University of California (inc. campus at Berkeley).
You can only go if you are studying single honours history
The year counts for 40% of your final degree
You must be able to prove you can afford the year abroad (although there are scholarships available.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Technically, the proof for the year abroad consists of proving that somewhere in your bank accounts of either you or your family+student loans etc. you have ~£7000ish.
Reply 3
Wow nice, but only 1 place? How does one beat the competition and get this place?

Cheers for the fast response guys!

Edit: Oh and the picture would be much appreciated.
Reply 4
You have to write essays, go to lots of meetings, have interviews etc. A guy I know who did it told me that it is essentially determined on the basis of how much hassle you are prepared to go to in the busy first term (ie how much you want it). And I dunno about this year, but two people from my year (2nd) went last year, one to Berkeley and the other somewhere else in California.
Reply 5
What I had to do was write a 1 page statement on why I wanted to go and then attend an interview, for me it was 12 candidates for 2 places,so good luck!
Reply 6
Arkbar did you get a place?

It's something I desperately want to do... Is the fact that there is the option to take 1 year in the US well advertised or do you have to go looking for it? Oh and are the number of places 100% fixed or flexible?

Finally, you've only metioned CA unis, are there no other unis in different states that offer such a scheme?

Thanks again.
Reply 7
Yes,I just got back from doing a year in California studying geography.
Well, it's relatively well advertised I supposed, but the fact that it occurs in the first term makes it a bit more hectic. The number of places is fixed, UC has been trying to limit the number of people they receive from other universities, itll be 1 or 0 if they find no suitable candidates.
The only places a lot of UK universities exchange to is University of California, and frankly I wouldn't really fancy a year at Iowa State or somewhere.
Reply 8
Haha I understand. Do you think it would be something worth discussing at interview (assuming I get one) or contacting admission staff / relevant department about. So are potential candidates selected from across a whole range of subjects or are there specific trips for the various departments?

Edit: Oh and I see you're a Newcastle fan, if you are from up North how did you find having a geordie accent in the US?
Reply 9
Well I don't think it's something you should base your entire entry to university around, especially as a lot of unis do it (I met students from Sussex,KCL,Essex,Lancaster,Kent,Sheffield etc.), I only signed up for it as a whim and look where it got me.
There are specific numbers for specific departments, overall 14 people form my year went, and I think it's down to 10 this year, IIRC the departments involved are classics, philosophy, engineering, geography, theology and history.
Sadly I'm not from the north, I merely support the most depressing football team in the world. There was a geordie guy on my floor in america though, noone can really tell the difference between accents anyway.
Reply 10
Haha ok then, well thankyou very much for your help.

I guess I'll take it up with the person who handles UCAS etc at my school and hopefully they'll be able to find out which universities of my 6 offer a year in the US :smile:.

Latest

Trending

Trending