Turn on thread page Beta

Cystitis? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    At the end of last week I had a bit of pain when peeing, which died down a bit so I figured whatever it was had cleared up. But over the last day or two it's been hurting again a bit but not always and not THAT bad, along with needing to go to the toilet slightly more often than usual maybe. and period like pains this morning (wrong time of the month). But no weird smells/cloudy urine etc. Cystitis or something else? I have a doctors appointment on Thursay morning for something else anyway, is it worth trying to change it to tomorrow or just leave it til then and see if it gets any better/worse?

I would say - wait until your appointment on Thursday and mention both probs. Its what I have done before.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    It might be worth changing it, especially as you have this problem.

ReputationRep:
    What's your temperature?
    Pulse?
    How do you feel?
    Is there any pain at rest?
    Can you describe the 'period' pain? Site? Character? Severity?

ReputationRep:
    Drink plenty of water to kind of flush anything out, cranberry juice is supposed to be good too, but obv only the doctor will be able to tell you for certain what it is and prescribe something. It should be fine to wait till thursday, but if the pain gets worse overnight phone them in the morning and get an appointment for tommorow.

ReputationRep:
    The pain I had when I had a kidney infection felt like a mixture of period pain and severe tramped wind (lol). I didn't know it was a kidney infection at the time and I only went to the doctors when it hurt even to yawn. If you can't get an earlier appointment then maybe you should drink lots water, take some painkillers and maybe get some cranberry juice of the Cystitis relief sachets.

ReputationRep:
    sounds exactly like cystitis to me!!! Drink plenty of fluids, u could try the sachet things (iv never personally used them but its worth a try). And go see your doctor to get it diagnosed and some antibiotics.

i know every one swears by crandberry juice for cystitis, but test have shown that it has no extra benificial effects other than the increased fluid intake!!

ReputationRep:
    Normal temperature and pulse; I generally feel fine the rest of the time, and even the pain when going to the toilet isn't excruciating i guess. Just normal cramps kind of pain around my stomach area, at the front rather than back/kidneys. If it gets any worse I'll try to change to tomorrow, if not then I'll wait til thursday morning..

ReputationRep:
    When my kidneys were hurting me I felt the pain more around the front and a little to the side of my stomach.

ReputationRep:
    drink lots of cranberry juice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheesyBeans)
    When my kidneys were hurting me I felt the pain more around the front and a little to the side of my stomach.
    Hmm but did you have other symptoms? On NHS direct it lists fever, shivering, feeling sick, vomiting, diarrhoea, bloody/cloudy/smelly urine... none of which i have, just mild pain.

Not trying to deny that i have anything but just trying to gage whether to just stock up on cranberry juice and water tomorrow or make a new appointment..maybe Ill ring the surgery in the morning and see what they say.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you need to have bloody/cloudy/smelly urine for it to be cystitis and what you're describing sounds like it. But your gp should know whatever it is

(Had it three times in the past 6 months )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikkeh)
    Hmm but did you have other symptoms? On NHS direct it lists fever, shivering, feeling sick, vomiting, diarrhoea, bloody/cloudy/smelly urine... none of which i have, just mild pain.

Not trying to deny that i have anything but just trying to gage whether to just stock up on cranberry juice and water tomorrow or make a new appointment..maybe Ill ring the surgery in the morning and see what they say.
    I was feeling sick but that could have been due to the pain and I had the complete opposite to diarrhoea. I did have slight burning/pain when weeing and I needed the toilet more often but it wasn't that bad and nothing like other attacks of cystitis that I have had. The doctor told me people do normally have the cystitis syptoms before it developing in to a kidney infection but he also said that a lot don't. If you don't have the pain when weeing or the needing to wee a lot then cranberry might not really you any good as the cranberry is usually used to neutralise the urine to make it less painful when you go the bog.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikkeh)
    Normal temperature and pulse; I generally feel fine the rest of the time,
    Doesn't sound too acute, normal appointment is probably fine.

ReputationRep:
    it doesnt necessarily mean urine needs to be cloudy or bloody.

i had it and my urine looked fine to me - just a slightly darker yellow...

and then i got the stomach pains etc etc.

when i went to the doctors they told me to drink lots of water...

think i got given some antibiotics or something... i cant remember but mine was pretty bad cos i kept putting it off as i didnt think it was anything bad ... until the real pain started.

Drinking lots of fluid helps flush it out, so i'd advise doing that, even if it is annoying going to the toilet every 30 mins or so!

ReputationRep:
    best thing for treating cystitis is Potassium Citrate Mixture which you can pick up for less than 2 quid at the chemist! its just basically a liquid that you dilute with water! you can pick up the cystitis sachets (Cystopurin for a brand name) but you end up paying at least twice the price for the exact same thing!

ReputationRep:
    Cranberry juice is a preventative measure for if you're prone to it, not a treatment. It kind of sounds like cystitis but also kind of doesn't. If it is it's certainly mild. It also sounds a bit like chlamydia, although that's usually symptomless, so if you've had unprotected sex think about getting checked.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 30, 2007
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.