Royal mail screwed up..no loan for me..uni in 15days Watch

Pink_Diamond
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Basically i sent my items off to my LA months ago...only started worrying today i hant heard back, yuo know as these things take time. So i rang the SLC they said my documents had yet to be receieved by my LA. So i checked my recorded delivery and low and behold it never arrived. So royal Mail have lost my birth certifcate and my mums wages slips etc!!

Now what do i do. I wont get money in time as it isnt even being processed, will this mean i will lose my place at uni because i cant pay the fees etc as i dont have that kind of money.

Im so stressed out and im kinda gutted i didnt check up ealier, im so disappointed in myself im usually so organised.
Dionysus
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Never send financial applications by post. Take it in personally. Incidently, why did you need to include your mother's birth certificate? As for the problem of paying, just talk to the University, and they'll make arrangements for late payment.
Cloud_Strife
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Why has it taken you this long to check the delivery record?
Pink_Diamond
Rep:
?
not my mothers birth certificate, mine!! and her wage slips. it was for income assessed
snu
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Pink_Diamond)
Now what do i do. I wont get money in time as it isnt even being processed, will this mean i will lose my place at uni because i cant pay the fees etc as i dont have that kind of money.
It is very unlikely that you will lose your place at University. Fees generally aren't due immediately you start anyway. Your main problem might be accommodation, but if you apply for a student account with a bank your overdraft should be able to cover that.
Dionysus
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Pink_Diamond)
not my mothers birth certificate, mine!! and her wage slips. it was for income assessed
Oh right. You can get a replacement for that, easily enough, though. I wouldn't worry too much. First thing to do is contact the Uni.
Purple
Badges: 15
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Dionysus)
Never send financial applications by post. Take it in personally. Incidently, why did you need to include your mother's birth certificate? As for the problem of paying, just talk to the University, and they'll make arrangements for late payment.
What if you live 3 hours from the office?
Dionysus
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by kirstinx)
Well that makes it difficult, but the guy who spoke to me from student finance admitted himself that it is a very bad idea to send it.
snu
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Dionysus)
Well that makes it difficult, but the guy who spoke to me from student finance admitted himself that it is a very bad idea to send it.
The postal service in this country has gone to the dogs in the past few years. It's really rather distressing.
Spannerism
Report 11 years ago
Inform your University of your situation and deal with it as soon as pos. Most Uni's will allow you lee-way.
Dionysus
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by snu)
The postal service in this country has gone to the dogs in the past few years. It's really rather distressing.
It has certainly gone downhill. It just isn't worth the risk of sending something so important.
mtbab
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
when did you post it, if you send it recorded delivery i would have checked no more than 2 working days later and if hadn't arrive by then i would be have been on the phone to people! seriously why did you wait literally months?
snu
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I dunno, I'd consider sending it special delivery because then you have tracking and fairly decent insurance.
Pink_Diamond
Rep:
?
ive had alot on my mind lately so hadnt had the time or energy to think about it, and i just presumed these things take time with the few million students there are applying. and i did send it recorded.
Slick 'n' Shady
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Get compensation for this inconvience.
If you play it right it should go some way for making up for this incopetence.
louisedotcom
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I cant say im surprised, I initiall applied in March- on the day you could start applying. It was only this morning that I finally recieved full confirmation, and a notification letter stating I was entitled to my loans/grants.

Up until this time however, we have had to send all the forms off on 3 occassions, because the LEA kept claiming to have never recieved them- even though we had sent them recorded post which conrirmed their arrival. buggers.

Anyway if you can, go down to your LEA in person, take any proof you need such as a passport etc and complete the application there and then. I know you can do this at my lea, im not sure if thats a universal thing though.
Should speed things along and you wont have to rely on royal mail!

Also inform the uni of the mix up, and I wouold have thought they would be understanding about it.
Purple
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by mtbab)
when did you post it, if you send it recorded delivery i would have checked no more than 2 working days later and if hadn't arrive by then i would be have been on the phone to people! seriously why did you wait literally months?
Because she didnt think the Royal Mail were that incompetent? I send stuff recorded all the time but never check, I paid the postage I expect the Royal Mail to carry out their side of it and deliver it.
Pink_Diamond
Rep:
?
Lol all sorted now. Went to my LEA as soon as they opened this morning with documents...they had to accept copies as all originals are still in the post. As for royal mail, they said they will cover any costs up to £34.

Should take about 3 weeks i was told so hopefully i can survive till then. And the uni will be fine about late payment.
vasehedar
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Royal Mail is completely and utterly unreliable and frankly s***.
I sent my UCAS AS12 slip back to my uni on the 17th via recorded delivery and been checking since day 1 and it still hasn't been delivered.

Luckily for me, my uni does not require the slip so i didn't bother chasing after them, although i also asked UCAS to send another slip just in case.

But, i shall most definitely file a claim for maximum compensation for their s**** service.
Assos
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by kirstinx)
If you absolutely have to send it by post, send it by special delivery, not recorded. Special delivery guarantees next day delivery, recorded doesn't guarantee delivery at all.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (295)
26.06%
Yes - they're famous (288)
25.44%
No I don't (549)
48.5%

Watched Threads