studentproblems2
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I just have a question on statistical analysis results
Would a non significant result mean I assume no correlation or would it mean I can't say if there's a correlation or no correlation?

I got a coefficient of 0.213 so I've said it's a weak non significant positive correlation ....is that correct ??? 🙁🙁🙁
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Correlations aren't significant or not. They are judged on the strength using Pearson's R.

Small 0.10 Medium 0.30 Large 0.50

So there was a small effect noted is how you would write it up.
studentproblems2
Rep:
?
(Original post by Noodlzzz)
Correlations aren't significant or not. They are judged on the strength using Pearson's R.

Small 0.10 Medium 0.30 Large 0.50

So there was a small effect noted is how you would write it up.
I used spss and got a significance result too that i have to analyse for my correlation. And a lot of papers i have read have commented on significance too for their correlation? :/
Noodlzzz
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You would report both effect size and p value associated. From what I can understand, .213 refers to the correlation coefficient as opposed to the p value right?
studentproblems2
Rep:
?
You would report both effect size and p value associated. From what I can understand, .213 refers to the correlation coefficient as opposed to the p value right?
yep .213 is the coefficient
the thing is that the result is not statistically significant so would this mean no correlation/relationship as the result is due to chance?
Noodlzzz
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by studentproblems2)
the thing is that the result is not statistically significant so would this mean no correlation/relationship as the result is due to chance?
Exactly
studentproblems2
Rep:
?
Exactly
great! thank you !
iammichealjackson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by studentproblems2)
More technically, a non-signficant result could occur even if there is a real effect, it just tells you that the effect isn't strong enough to refute the hypothesis that observed correlation could have occured by chance (i.e. even in the population correlation is 0).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (21)
13.55%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (42)
27.1%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (64)
41.29%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (23)
14.84%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
3.23%

Watched Threads