The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'd rather die than share. You can't listen to music, play an instrument, watch TV, have company, go to sleep or even...uh...make yourself your own company (:wink:) when you want.
Nik P
If you had to share a room with someone at uni would you do so?... and if not what would you do?...

I wouldn't really want to share, but if it came to be then I don't mind. Just as long as the person is alright :smile: :cool:
Nah, not at all.
I could never, ever share a room. Ever. I'm reasonably sociable but I need my own space so much. I'd wake up in terror every morning from fear that I was doing something weird in my sleep. You could never be guaranteed peace and quiet. To get some private time you would need to lock yourself in your bathroom. You couldn't sleep naked, or hang around naked. You would have to be considering the other person all the time (I'm not wildly inconsiderate but I like to be able to do what I like in my house). And what if they had their horrible friends around all night? When you wanted to sleep? What if they played horrible music all night? Or in the morning when I'm sleeping in. I think I would actually have a nervous breakdown, and my room-mate would have to watch because there would be nowhere private to do it.
Dr. Blazed
I'd rather die than share. You can't listen to music, play an instrument, watch TV, have company, go to sleep or even...uh...make yourself your own company (:wink:) when you want.

covered farm wa
I could never, ever share a room. Ever. I'm reasonably sociable but I need my own space so much. I'd wake up in terror every morning from fear that I was doing something weird in my sleep. You could never be guaranteed peace and quiet. To get some private time you would need to lock yourself in your bathroom. You couldn't sleep naked, or hang around naked. You would have to be considering the other person all the time (I'm not wildly inconsiderate but I like to be able to do what I like in my house). And what if they had their horrible friends around all night? When you wanted to sleep? What if they played horrible music all night? Or in the morning when I'm sleeping in. I think I would actually have a nervous breakdown, and my room-mate would have to watch because there would be nowhere private to do it

lol, what are you lot going to do when you get a partner and decide to live together?!?

as for listeneing to music/watching tv...why do you have to be alone to listen to music. now i didnt share a room last year but even then when me n my best mate watched telly we did it together...and as for listeneing to music we did that together because the walls are so thin you can both listen at the same time anyway!

you lot need to get a life and stop being spoilt by mummy and daddy.

love Katy ***
Reply 25
Well one of the things I'm looking forward to at uni is having my own private space where I can do whatever the hell I want without fear of parents barging in to do any of the many things they barge in for. To be able to have friends around at 3am if I want to, and not worry about staying out late and upsetting people. So I would be quite disappointed if I had to share.
Reply 26
fishpaste
Well one of the things I'm looking forward to at uni is having my own private space where I can do whatever the hell I want without fear of parents barging in to do any of the many things they barge in for. To be able to have friends around at 3am if I want to, and not worry about staying out late and upsetting people. So I would be quite disappointed if I had to share.

If you get into Clare, you won't :smile:
fishpaste

Spare me the sordid details on this one. Thankyou. As it's quite obvious as to why you want your own room. :biggrin:
ickle_katy
lol, what are you lot going to do when you get a partner and decide to live together?!?

as for listeneing to music/watching tv...why do you have to be alone to listen to music. now i didnt share a room last year but even then when me n my best mate watched telly we did it together...and as for listeneing to music we did that together because the walls are so thin you can both listen at the same time anyway!

love Katy ***

There's a difference between choosing someone to live or watch TV with and that person being chosen for you.
Reply 29
mobbdeeprob
Spare me the sordid details on this one. Thankyou. As it's quite obvious as to why you want your own room. :biggrin:

Hahahaha, um, I will not rise to such crude character assaults =P
Reply 30
Helenia
If you get into Clare, you won't :smile:

I initially read that as "If you get into Clare... you wont [get into Clare]"
Reply 31
I wouldn't want to share with anyone, I need my own room I'm far too accustomed to it. Besides I talk in my sleep so I don't think they would want me either, I have said quite a few odd things.
ickle_katy

In what way does my need for my own space make me 'spoilt by mummy and daddy'? I'm paying for this accomodation, so surely I can have my own room if I want?
Reply 33
I'd hate it - the lack of privacy would just be unbearable.
Reply 34
I think sharing a room would be bareable, but it's not something I would really want to do. I think unis try quite hard to match you with simliar people if you're sharing a room, so it might work out quite well if you get someone you get on well with.

The main reason I wouldn't enjoy it is that sometime you just want to be on your own at uni, it might becasue you have a really bad hangover or you just want to get some work done or avoid your crazy housemates, and you can't really gaurentee this if you're sharing a room - It's just nice to have your own space to do your own thing really, though i guess i'd get used to it if I had to share.
covered farm wa
In what way does my need for my own space make me 'spoilt by mummy and daddy'? I'm paying for this accomodation, so surely I can have my own room if I want?

it was more the
covered farm wa
I could never, ever share a room. Ever.

that shows how spoilt you are.

i wouldnt want to share a room, and would have been gutted if it turned out last year that id had to have shared a room...but i would have got on with it. and the comment you can have what you want just because your paying for it shows the little world you grow up in where you can buy your way to getting whatever you want.

love Katy ***
Reply 36
sharing a room can be disaster in the making.
my first year 'roomie' was very strange. she use to bang the door when she was leaving and didn't speak to me for days without any apparent reason. you could cut the tension with a knife. After a party on campus she invited a guy to sleep over without even telling me. you can imagine how surprise I was to see him first thing in the morning. When I asked her about it she had no idea who he was!!

my second year roommate was a slob. she was very untidy and it was unbearable. Half of the room was a mess and everyone noticed. worse case happened when I caught her and her boyfriend having sex. she didn't have the decency to lock the door. he literally lived there and as such I had no privacy. sometimes I would just stay in my friends rooms.

ps inorder for sharing to work you both need to make ground rules which both will follow...otherwise it can be hell!!
Reply 37
after being in halls for a year in a single room I know that there was no way i would ever cope with sharing. It wouldn't be so bad in a split room but even then i know people that had there own separate doors and still hated they fact they had to walk through the others room to get out and there was a lot of bitchyness. One of my mates at eceter had to share with an international student that was totally evil.. (although they left after about a month) and there was only a curtain round their beds for privacy. It drove her mad, they really didn't get on at all.
Reply 38
i would if it was just like in saved by the bell: the college years. otherwise no.
ickle_katy
i wouldnt want to share a room, and would have been gutted if it turned out last year that id had to have shared a room...but i would have got on with it. and the comment you can have what you want just because your paying for it shows the little world you grow up in where you can buy your way to getting whatever you want.

love Katy ***

For a girl who acts all sweet you sure can be harsh.
If I had to share a room I'd have to get on with it, but my point is that I really wouldn't want to. As you said, you'd be gutted if you had to share a room, and so would I. Do you think that I'd refuse to go to uni if I couldn't have the room I wanted? Please get off your high horse and stop acting like you're a working-class hero and I'm a spoiled little rich girl because that's the most ridiculous thing I've heard in ages. I think it's an excellent point that if you're paying for accomodation you should be able to have some say in where you live. Does that make people who have en-suite rooms spoilt? Some people choose to live in shared rooms, which is fine for them but not for others. As other people have pointed out, sharing a room with a partner or someone of choice is way different, since you choose to do so. I just wouldn't much like to do it with a stranger.
I think you're reading a little too much into what I'm saying. I would hate to share a room but clearly I would not die if I had to thus would get on with it. I think the internet is bad at conveying tone. Me saying I could never, ever share a room was an over-exaggeration in an attempt to show how much I would dislike it.

Latest

Trending

Trending