Thoughts on UK Muslims identifying themselves as Muslims, and not British?

Watch
Dodgypirate
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Controversial topic, I may say.

I've been running my mind over this since the release of 'Muslims like us' on BBC2.
I can't remember who said it on the show - it might have been several people in fact - but it got me thinking:

1) Why would they consider themselves 'Muslim' and avoid the British identity?

2) Are they simply putting their faith first?

3) Does anyone on here identify as Muslim instead of British?

I may not be making myself clear enough, I'm a little tired
Ciel.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Dodgypirate)
Controversial topic, I may say.

I've been running my mind over this since the release of 'Muslims like us' on BBC2.
I can't remember who said it on the show - it might have been several people in fact - but it got me thinking:

1) Why would they consider themselves 'Muslim' and avoid the British identity?

2) Are they simply putting their faith first?

3) Does anyone on here identify as Muslim instead of British?

I may not be making myself clear enough, I'm a little tired
How dumb is that? Why confuse religion with nationality?
Dodgypirate
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ciel.)

It's almost as they don't want any association with the UK...

I don't call myself a British Agnostic :lol:
l'etranger
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't see why people are forced to identify with Britain or Britishness.
Dodgypirate
Rep:
?
(Original post by l'etranger)
I don't see why people are forced to identify with Britain or Britishness.
It's a moral obligation when you come to the UK to subscribe to it. Remember, it's our great country welcoming them, not the other way round.
Aladdinsaaane
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Ciel.)
Ask the left! They think being anti-Islam is racist!
Aladdinsaaane
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's a moral obligation when you come to the UK to subscribe to it. Remember, it's our great country welcoming them, not the other way round.
It should be a legal obligation.
l'etranger
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No it isn't. The only obligation is to obey the law, and even then it's largely a matter of your tolerance for consequence rather than anything rooted in moral absolutes.
chelseadagg3r
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well my guess is they identify as Muslim because they are Muslim. Religion and nationality aren't the same thing. You can be British and Muslim :confused:
Dodgypirate
Rep:
?
(Original post by l'etranger)
No it isn't. The only obligation is to obey the law, and even then it's largely a matter of your tolerance for consequence rather than anything rooted in moral absolutes.
So how on Earth do you want them to fully integrate if they won't take on the British identity? Unless you don't want them to.

I'll say it again, 50% of Muslims in the UK think homosexuality should be illegal... what does UK law say?

Many don't even care about UK law and would rather be under Sharia.

I'm surprised there is still such a denial at the Islam problem in the West.
Dodgypirate
Rep:
?
(Original post by chelseadagg3r)
Well my guess is they identify as Muslim because they are Muslim. Religion and nationality aren't the same thing. You can be British and Muslim :confused:
Sure, but that isn't exactly my point.

I'm saying many Muslims in the UK consider themselves Muslim full stop.
chelseadagg3r
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sure, but that isn't exactly my point.

I'm saying many Muslims in the UK consider themselves Muslim full stop.
Well they are Muslims lol

You mean they consider themselves 'not British', rather than just Muslim? They're two different things
l'etranger
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So how on Earth do you want them to fully integrate if they won't take on the British identity? Unless you don't want them to.

I'll say it again, 50% of Muslims in the UK think homosexuality should be illegal... what does UK law say?

Many don't even care about UK law and would rather be under Sharia.

I'm surprised there is still such a denial at the Islam problem in the West.
I don't particularly care if they integrate or not, because there is no such thing as British society, you are an individual and you are a member of your family, there is no wider membership of Britain, we need to stop talking like moralising collectivists.
Yahudi Arabia
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
[email protected]'s wrong with identifying as both?
Dodgypirate
Rep:
?
Well they are Muslims lol

You mean they consider themselves 'not British', rather than just Muslim? They're two different things
I don't know whether you have watched 'Muslim like us', but in episode 2, towards the end, one of the woman says she doesn't see herself as British because people don't accept her as one - she sees herself as Muslim. I think several people agreed with her.

There were only 3-4 Muslims on the show who were quite liberal, the rest were conservative.
Dodgypirate
Rep:
?
(Original post by Yahudi Arabia)
[email protected]'s wrong with identifying as both?
Nothing.

I'm concerned about those who consider themselves only Muslim and not British or British Muslim.
chelseadagg3r
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't know whether you have watched 'Muslim like us', but in episode 2, towards the end, one of the woman says she doesn't see herself as British because people don't accept her as one - she sees herself as Muslim. I think several people agreed with her.

There were only 3-4 Muslims on the show who were quite liberal, the rest were conservative.
I haven't. I should though, there's been a lot of talk about it. But yeah, that's quite interesting. I guess I can see where she's coming from, because with a lot of people it's very 'you must accept every British value or you will not be accepted' kind of thing, so why identify with something that doesn't really believe in you? I don't think it's a case of 'I'm not British. I am a Muslim and we are taking over' etc as some people see it, but I think it's more a case of 'I don't want to label myself as part of something that does not accept me, and therefore I'll just stick to the term Muslim because my religion does accept me', at least for a large part
username1292215
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
British Muslim
Dodgypirate
Rep:
?
I haven't. I should though, there's been a lot of talk about it. But yeah, that's quite interesting. I guess I can see where she's coming from, because with a lot of people it's very 'you must accept every British value or you will not be accepted' kind of thing,

We're moving into philosophy now. What are British values? I can imagine basic human rights are included.

so why identify with something that doesn't really believe in you?
A small minority of bigots making you feel bad shouldn't stop you from being British.

Lots of people in this country make gay people, for instance, feel unwelcomed, but it doesn't stop them from being British or wanting to be British - and being gay isn't a choice either.
Elizabeth II
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi

Going to tidy this up a little bit. Bear with me. Thanks!

Ethan
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (22)
14.01%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (42)
26.75%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (65)
41.4%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (23)
14.65%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
3.18%

Watched Threads