Athematica
Badges: 18
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
My lacklustre attitude towards revision or any work in general has been detrimental to my success. The AS mocks were a wakeup call. I've been called incredibly intelligent and even more lazy by my lecturers and after my maths tutor pulled my aside recently and told me, explaining how he sees himself in me, the story of how he became a teacher and how laziness crushed aspirations, that the way I'm going I'll end up teaching in a sixth form college like him, bitter and unfulfilled, and that I don't want that. Indeed I don't. Time to pull my finger out.

ChristmasResults
Chemistry: Organic - E; Inorganic - C
Physics: Mechanics - B; Electricity - B
Maths: Core 1(i) - B; Core 1(ii) - A
Further Maths: Mechanics (M1) - A

So what do I want to achieve? Ideally, I'd be well placed to apply to study maths (and/with philosophy or computer science or economics -- mainly maths) at COWI universities. So, realistically:
  • Score an average of 94% over all 6 maths modules this year.

Since I'm studying for C1-3, M1-3, clearly this means that I ought to be scoring 100% or close on especially C1 and M1 and probably C2 and M2 also. C3 and M3 I will still have to manage to score 90% UMS or so to keep a high score so most of my focus should be here through the year.
  • Achieve a grade in physics that will prepare me well for an A grade next year.

This probably means that I ought to be scoring near 90%. There is significant overlap between Mechanics in Maths and Physics so the crossover will mean it won't be so difficult to achieve.
  • Leave Chemistry AS with an A grade

Then be done with it. Bleh. I hate chemistry So long as I score an A in the summer I will be happy to drop it over the A2 year. Since the 3 most relevant subjects are taken into account, this is a lower priority than the others (but by no means does that mean ought to be neglected like it has been).

My Commitment
  1. Study for 2 hours a week per subject a least. Currently I cram 20 mins in before a test at best. I ought to be going home and reviewing classwork for at least half an hour per lecture (4 lectures per subject).
  2. Attend all lectures. My attendance currently hovers around 70%. Clearly not ideal. I miss a third of all the work. From now I commit myself to get up in the mornings and just turn up. No making excuses for myself through grogginess at 7am and calling it 'sick'.
  3. Through the Christmas holidays, study a few hours a day. Between one and two hours per subject and then more if I feel like it. Until I'm cranking out As and able to answer all the questions in my homeworks, I'll keep this up. Give myself a break over 24-26 Dec and New Year too. But no more. I am prone to slacking.

I have other academic ambition too and realising when I should start preparing for STEP is only a year or so away and also wanting to have started preparing for the olympiad through the summer, and wanting to learn to program, I will have 'extra-curricular' stuff to go through once and only once my grades are in a suitable place. I haven't spoken about other lifestyle changes on here but that is only because this is about my academic progress.
Athematica
My plan is to use this in the morning to set out an outline for the day then report back before bed on what I've achieved. Tonight I probably won't post again but tomorrow I expect to have posted in the morning and if I haven't then this has been an instant failure and I ought to be one too. Tonight I am actually going to do something else in cleaning up my pig-sty of a room :lol: But I have classwork and notes everywhere all over the floor so this organisation process will help. In the morning I'll think about what i'd like to tackle specifically.

Thanks if you're reading for the support. I realise there are much more remarkable people on here. Just hoping they inspire me to start realising my potential.
jessyjellytot14
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Good luck! Maths with philosophy sounds like an awesome degree!
niamhdoesmaths
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi there! :wavey: I love the title of this thread!

I do the same subjects as you minus Chemistry so we're in a similar boat. Out of interest, what are your exam boards for Maths, FM and Physics?

It's awesome that you're so dedicated to doing well and have had the wake up call you needed - I wish you every success

I also have a GYG blog, feel free to check it out if you wish:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4300764

Good luck once again!
NinjaNarnia
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey there,

Just wanted to say good luck and I hope all goes well. I hope this doesn't come of as condescending but I wanted to say, if you start now and work hard you should get the grades you want next year. I hope it works out and give it your best effort!
Trevish
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm here to keep a track of you!
Athematica
Day 1
Itinerary

-Chemistry
My lower grade was in organic. Going to go through my notes and work on the reaction mechanisms (electrophilic addition, nucleophilic substitution, free radical substitution, [the other 4th one that I forgot]) and tests for double bonds, halogen groups, etc.

After that I will have a look at periodic trends in inorganic chemistry since I lost marks here. (also, I keep forgetting basic reactions from GCSE like acid + bse -> salt + water. Ought to go over those).

-Maths
Complete a C1 past paper and assess gaps in knowledge (I dropped marks on graph transformations in the mock so that is one area for sure. Have a feeling binomial expansion will need a review too). Most errors were in calculation and/or getting +/- muddled in a rush. Will maybe do these through the evening at a relaxed pace.

-Physics
I probably lose most marks where circuit knowledge needs to be at most competent. When do we use EMF of circuit or pd over a component, the single resistance or the total resistance, etc? Review notes on circuit theory and answer some old questions.

-Further Maths
Lower priority today. Might go over some more tricky questions to stretch my brain a little. We had an Old Spec M1 paper which was more difficult than all the others and I still managed an A so feel more confident here.
Athematica
Half term overview
I missed 6 weeks and basically the whole half-term so have a lot of catching up to do. Oughtn't be too difficult but still some work needs to be done.

Priorities:
  1. Get maths solidly into A grade range before all else.
  2. Afterwards, push for A in each of chemistry and physics, then A* in maths and FM.
  3. Once material is comfortably well known, start answering questions in past papers
  4. When a couple of papers have given me adequate results, move towards other materials for maths (enrichment in problem solving, going past syllabus, etc).

Day 2
Itinerary

-Further maths
Circular motion is the main focus today. Mostly going to stick to M2 topics so vectors will probably be revised too.

-Maths
Already went over the chain rule this morning. It's fairly straightforward. Quick review of product and quotient rules later on but that won't take long. Would also like to complete some trig related stuff - this is lower priority.

-Chemistry
Still need to revise all that chemistry stuff. Putting it off until my maths stuff is caught up since that is first priority. Once maths is at a 'I understand it' level then the other subjects can be studied for. After that, organic will be the main focus.

-Physics
Have some gaps in knowledge right now but it's not a priority because the material is trivially easy to learn. Chemistry volume here needs more time.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (85)
14.24%
I'm not sure (27)
4.52%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (189)
31.66%
I have already dropped out (12)
2.01%
I'm not a current university student (284)
47.57%

Watched Threads