g.c.s.e. physics coursework plz help!!! Watch

This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
hey my physics coursework title is 'if the force of a trolley is increased how does this affect its acceleration' any tips or help at all plz! i really dont know what im doing!!!!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
F = ma
force = mass x acceleration
Rich
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
hey my physics coursework title is 'if the force of a trolley is increased how does this affect its acceleration' any tips or help at all plz! i really dont know what im doing!!!!
Right... you say 'if the force of the trolley...', the trolley does not possess some kind of inherent force, did you mean to say 'the force on the trolley'?

I can't see how you have any scope here for saying any more than as the force on the trolley is increased (assuming it's the only force on the trolley, i.e. negating friction), the acceleration of the trolley will increase in direct proportion, i.e. by Newton's Second Law (F = ma, force F (N), mass m (kg), acceleration a (ms^(-2))) and then testing and verifying your hypothesis.

You might want to extent it to look at frictional resistances of various kinds? Remember that the force due to air-resistance induced friction can often be modelled as proportional to the velocity of the object in some way. Try Google.

I'm dubious as to whether there's enough scope here for a good GCSE physics piece of coursework ... you may want to think of something with more scope?

Good luck,
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
yes sorry i did mean on the trolley, and i can't choose my title for the coursework because we were given a set title. i'm struggling to find enough to write because it is easier than my last piece and i need to fill it out with more scientific knowledge.
Rich
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
yes sorry i did mean on the trolley, and i can't choose my title for the coursework because we were given a set title. i'm struggling to find enough to write because it is easier than my last piece and i need to fill it out with more scientific knowledge.
In that case, I think you should be able to extend it quite well by investigating friction and other kinds of resistances. You could look at both the friction caused by the trolley's wheels' contact with the surface, and the resistance caused by air (you could also try running the trolley in a liquid if possible, to get different levels of resistance).

Having said this, you will need to be familiar with differential equations to do much involving air resistances. At GCSE level, I would think this is a bit much to expect, although at a very superficial level it could get you some top marks...
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
it was also a set experiment so i wasnt allowed to experiment with the air resistance or the frition of the ramp.
Rich
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
it was also a set experiment so i wasnt allowed to experiment with the air resistance or the frition of the ramp.
Hmm... I really don't know what you could do then to extend it; your school seems to have given you a very simple investigation with hardly any scope.

What were the experiments you did do?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Don't worry - the depth of knowledge required for GCSE SC1 investigations is always minimal. There are a few key mark points for each of the 4 (I think) areas of work - follow them religiously and you should get top marks. Tedious and without scope for imagination, I know, but that's what the boards want to see.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
cont. from above - GCSE investigations always only involve one controlled variable, so your experiment isn't too simple. You merely need to state and explain how you could go about eliminating other variables in your plan (I think it's called 'planning') and, failing that, asses how the variables you didn't control may have affected your results in the evaluation.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
it goes slwoly cos there is more pressure applied to it
silence
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
hmmm just go to the board's website and get hold of the mark scheme.

i did my whole investigation the night before the deadline, got a copy of the mark scheme, followed it, did some research and got the 8886.
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
it goes slwoly cos there is more pressure applied to it
You've never heard of Newton's laws of motion?? :/.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
Heya all you physicans out there! I'm currently doing coursework on solar panels, and investigating how the distance between a light source and a solar cell affects the light intensity & energy conversion. But I'm stuck cos apparently there's a law that helps with light intensity and distance, but I can't find it! Does neone know...?
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Light intensity is inversely proportional to distance from the source. The equation (for a point source): I = P/4pi^2r (that's pi^2, not pi^2r btw), where P is power and r is the distance from the source.

Also, it's 'physicists', not 'physicans'.
astarpupil
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
the bigger the force, the faster the acceleration.
thats wot i think neway. what do i no? im doing electromagnets!
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (204)
12.73%
Excited (139)
8.68%
Worried (291)
18.16%
Terrified (363)
22.66%
Meh (144)
8.99%
Confused (35)
2.18%