The Student Room Group

What course do you recommend I could apply to study for at university?

I really have no clue at this stage what I want to study at university. Ideally, I wanted to do medicine but due to not getting A* in GCSE biology and also not getting good marks in tests for AS level biology, I am currently rethinking what I want to do.

I got 7 A*'s (inc. English language, mathematics, physics and chemistry), 3 A's and 1 B in my GCSE's. In addition, I achieved an A grade in FSMQ mathematics.

I regularly do maths challenges, both individual and team. I've got Best in School etc. before, but I haven't received a Gold till now which I could've got this year because I forgot to turn up for the test and I did it at a later date and found I would've got a Gold and qualified for kangaroo. The thing is though, i've been doing the Senior Maths Challenge since Yr. 10 (in which I got a bronze). Aside from this, I love solving Rubik's cubes and have attended competitions. Also, i've got a Grade 5 Merit in guitar. Years ago, I used to do Kung Fu and got up till Green Belt.

When it comes to work experience, i've really only done volunteering at a blind centre and a care home for old people. I've even attended a mini medical school at Birmingham university. In the past, i've done charity work too.

That's about it. I really have no particular interests. I don't mean to boast but I find I have been one of the best mathematicians in my year at my old school and I think I am at this school, although I don't do further maths because I did C1 and C2 units in year 11. Aside from this, I am amongst the top of the cohort in physics and chemistry too but when it comes to biology I am just about average, which is why i'm thinking of reconsdering medicine because I don't know how i'll cope if i'm finding it hard to cope with AS level biology.

Preferably, i'd really like to do a top tier course because I don't want to let down my parents and brother who have always worked so hard for me and invested so much in me. I don't mean to offend anyone but after all this hard work from my family I don't want to end up doing something like biomedical science ...

Before, I forget my A-level choices are maths, physics, chem and bio but i'm planning on dropping biology and doing MAYBE further maths if I don't do well in the mocks

Thank you for reading this and any suggestions are greatly appreciated. :biggrin:
Original post by akash3141
I really have no clue at this stage what I want to study at university. Ideally, I wanted to do medicine but due to not getting A* in GCSE biology and also not getting good marks in tests for AS level biology, I am currently rethinking what I want to do.

I got 7 A*'s (inc. English language, mathematics, physics and chemistry), 3 A's and 1 B in my GCSE's. In addition, I achieved an A grade in FSMQ mathematics.

I regularly do maths challenges, both individual and team. I've got Best in School etc. before, but I haven't received a Gold till now which I could've got this year because I forgot to turn up for the test and I did it at a later date and found I would've got a Gold and qualified for kangaroo. The thing is though, i've been doing the Senior Maths Challenge since Yr. 10 (in which I got a bronze). Aside from this, I love solving Rubik's cubes and have attended competitions. Also, i've got a Grade 5 Merit in guitar. Years ago, I used to do Kung Fu and got up till Green Belt.

When it comes to work experience, i've really only done volunteering at a blind centre and a care home for old people. I've even attended a mini medical school at Birmingham university. In the past, i've done charity work too.

That's about it. I really have no particular interests. I don't mean to boast but I find I have been one of the best mathematicians in my year at my old school and I think I am at this school, although I don't do further maths because I did C1 and C2 units in year 11. Aside from this, I am amongst the top of the cohort in physics and chemistry too but when it comes to biology I am just about average, which is why i'm thinking of reconsdering medicine because I don't know how i'll cope if i'm finding it hard to cope with AS level biology.

Preferably, i'd really like to do a top tier course because I don't want to let down my parents and brother who have always worked so hard for me and invested so much in me. I don't mean to offend anyone but after all this hard work from my family I don't want to end up doing something like biomedical science ...

Before, I forget my A-level choices are maths, physics, chem and bio but i'm planning on dropping biology and doing MAYBE further maths if I don't do well in the mocks

Thank you for reading this and any suggestions are greatly appreciated. :biggrin:

It sounds like you are quite interested in maths and the sciences, have you maybe thought about a natural sciences?

Here is a link to the Cambridge Natural Science degree to just give you a bit of an idea of what you can study: http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/natural-sciences

Lots of other universities offer this course.
Original post by akash3141
I used to do Kung Fu and got up till Green Belt...:biggrin:

Original post by rayquaza17
It sounds like you are quite interested in maths and the sciences, have you maybe thought about a natural sciences?

Here is a link to the Cambridge Natural Science degree to just give you a bit of an idea of what you can study: http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/natural-sciences

Lots of other universities offer this course.

Here's the offering from UCL:

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/mathematical-physical-sciences/natural-sciences/core-streams/stream-combinations

Quick Reply

Latest