Manchester or Bristol Watch

james0902
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi All
So basically I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I have offers from Bristol and Manchester for Physics. Looking for some advice on where would be best for me, I'm really looking to make new friends, have a good time at Uni, and have a fresh start from high school. However I'm also interested in doing well, as I'd ideally like to go into investment banking after my degree. Any opinions on which has the better physics department/ which is the better city?
I understand Manchester is obviously bigger which has pros and cons, i.e. Better facilities, but since there's so many people there I don't want to get lost in the crowd and end up not making friends
Thanks for any advice you might have

Posted from TSR Mobile
james0902
Rep:
?
Bump😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You have not actually mentioned the course in your post.

Do you just 'want to go to Uni' - or do you actually want to study Physics?

You need to look at the course at each of these two Unis - in detail, because they wont be exactly the same. Which optional units would you choose (and why), what extras are available at each uni as part of the course like study abroad, units in other subjects, industrial placements etc etc. Its the course you will be studying every day for 3 or 4 years - it doesn't matter which city has the best social life if you are bored sideways by the course you are doing.
james0902
Rep:
?
(Original post by returnmigrant)

You need to look at the course at each of these two Unis - in detail, because they wont be exactly the same. Which optional units would you choose (and why), what extras are available at each uni as part of the course like study abroad, units in other subjects, industrial placements etc etc. Its the course you will be studying every day for 3 or 4 years - it doesn't matter which city has the best social life if you are bored sideways by the course you are doing.
Both courses are pretty similar in terms of content, and both offer Study Abroad and Industrial Placement schemes not that I'm particularly interested in those as I only want to do a 3 year course and both those would require an extra year. And yes I do want to study Physics but the social aspects are important too, it's where I'll be living for 3 years, and if the city isn't right for me then I won't have an enjoyable time, which will affect my motivation and how I work on my course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
james0902
Rep:
?

That being said, do you have experience with the cities and/or the universities there? If so what's your view on them? And which would look better on a CV in terms of employability?

Posted from TSR Mobile
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by james0902)
And which would look better on a CV in terms of employability?

e
Despite what school-leavers assume, employers do not sift job application based on any specific University preference.

If you have a First or 2i and have an interesting CV (relevant work experience gained during your degree, voluntary work outside Uni, got involved in club/societies at Uni, generally did more than just study),and can write a focussed, sensible application, that is what will get you noticed, not which Uni you went to.
Abstract_Prism
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Bristol as a whole is generally considered better than Manchester as a whole.

Although I've heard some international students worship a Manchester degree.
james0902
Rep:
?
(Original post by Abstract_Prism)
Bristol as a whole is generally considered better than Manchester as a whole.

Although I've heard some international students worship a Manchester degree.
My Manchester offer is so much higher too (A*A*A compared to the AAA Bristol want) which is another turn off. AAA is far more achievable!

Posted from TSR Mobile
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Despite what school-leavers assume, employers do not sift job application based on any specific University preference.

If you have a First or 2i and have an interesting CV (relevant work experience gained during your degree, voluntary work outside Uni, got involved in club/societies at Uni, generally did more than just study),and can write a focussed, sensible application, that is what will get you noticed, not which Uni you went to.
Well played! ☺

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • Harper Adams University
    Animals and Veterinary Sciences Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (112)
17.53%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (68)
10.64%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (110)
17.21%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (94)
14.71%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.86%
How can I be the best version of myself? (192)
30.05%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed