Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I really need a job when i'm at uni, and i just wondered if they're easy to get or not!? and wheres best to apply? thanks! xxx

ReputationRep:
    There are loads of places to get jobs

try looking at www.susu.org for jobs within the students union, also look at http://www.soton.ac.uk/study/careerp...ttimework.html for information about the temp bank within the university.

Have a gander at the west quay website for a list of the stores that there are in there that you could apply to: http://www.west-quay.co.uk/website/
    There is the Saints football ground for jobs in hospitality: http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/hospitality/?page_id=13

In Portswood near the uni there is a Morrisons, a Somerfield, a Blockbuster, a Woolworths, and several pubs that hire students. Southampton has all the usual high street stores, plus there is a big Asda in town, and at Leisure world there is an odeon cinema, and several restaurants, there is also a cineworld cinema down at ocean village. There is John Lewis, Debenhams and Marks and Spencer in the city centre and some of the stores will arrange transfers to a store closer to your home during vacations.

There are loads of jobs geared at students, you shouldn't struggle too much finding one.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much!! that's really helpful!! xxx

ReputationRep:
    No problems

Oh and there is also Carnival UK who like weekend reservations centre staff. it's working in a call centre but is well paid and after a year working there you get an EXCELLENT rate on their cruises!

ReputationRep:
    Morrisons? I thought it was Waitrose? Or is there both?

ReputationRep:
    Whoops! ha ha ha I'm such a dillweed sometimes! It's a WAITROSE!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nally)
    Whoops! ha ha ha I'm such a dillweed sometimes! It's a WAITROSE!!!
    It's not been a Waitrose for that long - so it's not a awful mistake!

ReputationRep:
    Don't rely on Southampton debenhams to be too helpful.... i currently work for mylocal one and have been tryig to get a transfer to work there during term time and here during holidays.... have they even contacted me back.... nope! Grrrrr!!

ReputationRep:
    you think you're having problems! after working at Castlepoint M&S in Bournemouth for two years, i've been trying to get a transfer but theyre so unhelpful, i've got to do everything myself and West Quay M&S don't seem very interested at all! And what's worse is, i NEED a job to cover my accommodation costs!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I desperately need a job. I did some budgeting yesterday and worked out that I need a £5.50 an hour job for 15 hours a week to break even every week!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sol89)
    Yeah I desperately need a job. I did some budgeting yesterday and worked out that I need a £5.50 an hour job for 15 hours a week to break even every week!
    You might be able to earn more than £5.50... for example my bf worked part time at holland and barrett, after taking their easy exam he was earning £7 an hour.

Erm.. you could work somewhere that gives commission? (Jewellery or electronics, usually) (H&B does too when you sell own brand products)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iTalya)
    You might be able to earn more than £5.50... for example my bf worked part time at holland and barrett, after taking their easy exam he was earning £7 an hour.

Erm.. you could work somewhere that gives commission? (Jewellery or electronics, usually) (H&B does too when you sell own brand products)
    Thanks for that, I'll keep my eye out for those types of shops then!

Do you recommend proactively searching for a job or would it be okay to rely on the Temp Bank?
    Should I send my CV to them now if it's a first come first serve system?

ReputationRep:
    send a CV to the temp bank anyway, but definitely pro-actively search too!

ReputationRep:
    I'm so glad someone asked about jobs in Soton- I definitely have to get one otherwise I'll have about £30 per week to live on from my student loan, provided i budget my money which just wouldn't happen! :p:

ReputationRep:
    I really should get a job too I have enough money to last me for the first year if i spend it properly, but i can see that happening :lolz:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nally)
    send a CV to the temp bank anyway, but definitely pro-actively search too!
    Should I send my CV to them now, or wait till I arrive?

ReputationRep:
    I'd wait til you arrive, or maybe send it to them a few days before you arrive so they have a chance to look it over? The contact woman is called Anna Gregan

Tel: +44 (0) 2380 593031
    Email: [email protected]
    Postal Address: Anna Gregan, TEMP BANK Coordinator, Personnel Department, University of Southampton, SO17 1BJ

ReputationRep:
    i think im going to get organised with my timetable and work out when the best times to work will be before getting a job.
    I'll start looking when I get there probably. hmm i should really write a CV, has anyone else done that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nally)
    I'd wait til you arrive, or maybe send it to them a few days before you arrive so they have a chance to look it over? The contact woman is called Anna Gregan

Tel: +44 (0) 2380 593031
    Email: [email protected]
    Postal Address: Anna Gregan, TEMP BANK Coordinator, Personnel Department, University of Southampton, SO17 1BJ
    Thanks, that's a great help! I'll email her around the 25th then I think. Hope I don't forget! :rolleyes:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 3, 2007
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.