The Student Room Group

I need help :-)

Hi everybody! I am from Germany and I have to find out more about the British culture, especially about the youth culture...
Youth means just young people from the age 14-23.
Unfortunately as I said I am living in Germany and I don't know what is trendy in Britain right now. There aren't any good sources on the Internet because I need information about now and not the history in the past so I thought I can find some natives who can tell me what is special and interesting at the moment in Britain....

I need these information for a presentation at my university.
Our teacher told us there is a lot of interest in transgender... and with that together also mental health...

Do the British like to vlog or something like that? Is there a hype at the moment like it was with the harlem shake or ALS Ice bucket challenge?

Can you help me with some tipps?

Thank you very much!
Nutellaella ;-)
Reply 1
Hey, I'm from England (near London!)

At the moment there is a big thing for transgender people as it's becoming a lot more accepted so there is almost a sudden "influx" of people coming out and identifying as transgender! And for mental health, the services (hospitals etc) are failing many people and not providing correct health care, with many people being undiagnosed or unfortunately committing suicide before they were able to access help! So currently there is a big strain on these services, but it is also mostly accepted to talk about mental health etc

For youth, there's the mannequin challenge (you can YouTube it!) which is very popular at the moment! Piercings and tattoos are increasingly popular, as well as dying hair crazy colours! Most popular apps are probably instagram, snapchat and musical.ly.
Other than that, there's a huge hype for Twenty One Pilots and we love watching I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here! which is a TV show that finished recently!

Hopefully this has helped a bit

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by yoitsdyl
Hey, I'm from England (near London!)

At the moment ...

Hopefully this has helped a bit

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you very much :smile:

Do you think that this transgender "hype" is only occuring in the younger ages? And this mental health problem aswell? or are all ages affected?

Our teacher was also talking about the hunger games...

Oh I saw videos of this challenge :smile: Thank you sooo sooo much :biggrin:
Reply 3
Wouldn't call it a "hype"...but it is more common in youth but it is still an issue affecting all ages! Mental health is probably more talked about in youth!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending