Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering, does anyone know what the type of cable you have to have in order to connect your laptop to the socket in the accommodation rooms??
    I need to buy the right cable for my laptop to work before i go to B'ham you see.
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Can't remember what it's called but if you just go to Shackleton on your first day and ask for "the cable that connects me to the internet" - they'll know exactly what one you mean. It was a fiver last year!

ReputationRep:
    Oh yer... and whats this Damvo or whatever it is thingy

Man, I shall need the net as soon as I go!!!

ReputationRep:
    I asked about this a few weeks ago and I think it's a Cat45 cable. Cheaper than £5 if you look on eBay!

You also need to register with Damovo (the phone and internet connection company) so that the internet connection etc works. www.damovoconnect.com

ReputationRep:
    ^ ah thanks for the information *soph*!

ReputationRep:
    You're welcome just hope I'm not feeding you wrong info!

ReputationRep:
    i'm living in aitken next year and its not on the drop down list for halls when i try and register for internet! any1 no which one aitken wing used to be part of?
    cheers

ReputationRep:
    It seys I have to pay £10!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure? It appeared on the drop down list when I registered :confused:

ReputationRep:
    nah it int there, theres only ashcroft! i dnt get it!

ReputationRep:
    http://www.hallsnet.bham.ac.uk/where.shtml

On that it says Aitken (as part of Chamberlain apparently) is included?

ReputationRep:
    And on the drop down list on the internet registration page I saw "Chamberlain Hall - Aitken Wing".

ReputationRep:
    also you have to know certain numbers on your laptop (i think LAN numbers or something like that) to register your specific PC with the internet connection in your room. My dad looked all this up on the Damovo website before moving in to make life easier! The catch was: to register to get the internet, you had to use a pc that was already connected..................they set up PCs in Shack to do it last year, but my flatmate had already done it which was great!

ReputationRep:
    Why the hell is EVERYTHING to do with uni so damn complicated!!!

That's what I want to know!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Woah - this Damovo thing - maybe it's just Tennis Courts - but we never had to do ANYTHING with Damovo.

In terms of internet - it was a case of: buy the cable from Shackleton, register your laptop at Shackleton, put the cable in - and we were connected.

The room phones all worked straight away for ACCOMMODATION CALLS ONLY using the four digit extension number. For mum and dad to ring me etc, they had to dial 0870 709 **** (stars being the extension number). If I wanted to ring someone in Elgar or whatever - I just dialled their 4 digit extension number and that was it.

No charge for it.

Damavo was just for if you wanted to ring people outside of accommodation - ie. home OR if you wanted to set up an answering machine.

No-one that I knew ever contacted Damovo or paid anything. If we wanted to call our parents or friends from home - we used our mobiles and/or asked them to ring us back on our room phones/mobile.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oliviasmith05)
    Woah - this Damovo thing - maybe it's just Tennis Courts - but we never had to do ANYTHING with Damovo.

In terms of internet - it was a case of: buy the cable from Shackleton, register your laptop at Shackleton, put the cable in - and we were connected.

The room phones all worked straight away for ACCOMMODATION CALLS ONLY using the four digit extension number. For mum and dad to ring me etc, they had to dial 0870 709 **** (stars being the extension number). If I wanted to ring someone in Elgar or whatever - I just dialled their 4 digit extension number and that was it.

No charge for it.

Damavo was just for if you wanted to ring people outside of accommodation - ie. home OR if you wanted to set up an answering machine.

No-one that I knew ever contacted Damovo or paid anything. If we wanted to call our parents or friends from home - we used our mobiles and/or asked them to ring us back on our room phones/mobile.
    This year, you have to register your laptop via Hallsnet (presumably what you did at Shack?) and plug the cable in, it's just all the instructions are on the Damovo website. I registered my phone on the Damovo website too because I couldn't get the extension number otherwise. Not intending to put any money on it though, I'll make all my external calls using my mobile.

ReputationRep:
    DONT MAKE ANY PREMIUM CALLS! I dunno if this works beyond the vale, but your phone number is 0121 257 **** - your 4 digit extension code. there will be loud beeping down the end of the phone for about 20 seconds when you connect to the person you're calling/calling you, then its fine! lol dunno how much of a secret thats meant to be, but thought I should spread the love!

ReputationRep:
    Lauren, if that's true, you deserve a medal!!!! Having an 0870 number for a room is an awful awful money-making scheme, that alternative makes me happy!

|| Sam x

ReputationRep:
    some guy told me last year - i feel I should share the love, espesh since my rents get free landline calls so they could call me for free!
    however, the 0121 number makes NO difference if you're trying to make calls, it only works if someone is calling you! so drop call using ur mobile telling them to call u back!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lstacy69)
    DONT MAKE ANY PREMIUM CALLS! I dunno if this works beyond the vale, but your phone number is 0121 257 **** - your 4 digit extension code. there will be loud beeping down the end of the phone for about 20 seconds when you connect to the person you're calling/calling you, then its fine! lol dunno how much of a secret thats meant to be, but thought I should spread the love!

Oops...dad wasn't too happy last year with some of the phone bills he racked up by simply phoning me to ask how I am....if only I'd known!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 31, 2007
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.